Where and how much? Cheapest 12 gauge target loads.

I've shot the cheap Federal 7-1/2 load and some RIO for the past two years at 3gun from a Remington 1100 and Stoeger M3000. I've never had a problem with either. I get the Federal at Sportsmans Warehouse for $6.79/box. Maybe cheaper at Walmart, but I can't drag myself in there anymore, lol

Well I got the box of Federal 7-1/2 target at Dicks for $5.48 but they were on sale.

BTW, that sign at Dicks about firearms being checked by customer service doesn't apply to sidearms carried by HCP holders does it? I just "ASSUMED" it meant when bringing a gun back for warranty or taking a newly bought gun out of the store, something like that so I didn't bother to read all of the sign. If it's not a gun buster sign I don't see it pertaining to HCP holders and will ignore it. If I did see a gun buster sign I would never have went in and bought anything but I ain't checking my shootin arn in with the Marshall.

• Like 1

Now I have to say my experience with Winchester super Target was a couple of years ago but that batch we had then was bad, every single shell locked up in the chamber after firing them. We could barely extract them from both 870s and I couldn't break open my SxS unless I took a cleaning rod and tapped both spent shells. Absolutely no problems with anything else that day. They may have added strength to the base metal now but that batch we had then was horrible.

I knew about that run. I shot the Top Guns (Federals) back a few years ago. Same problems.
  • Like 1

I knew about that run. I shot the Top Guns (Federals) back a few years ago. Same problems.

I would be willing to try some again if I could find one cheap box for $4 or $5, not a case until i was satisfied with it. I believe my nephew still has about half that bad case just sitting around somewhere. he wont shoot any more of those. He could cut them open and re-use the shot if he reloaded shotgun shells, or make a nice shot bag.  :) Remove the powder and use the primers for noise poppers to scare away stray dogs or other critters. I have popped primers in the back yard to do the same, sounds like a small firecracker but they dirty up the barrel.

I would be willing to try some again if I could find one cheap box for $4 or $5, not a case until i was satisfied with it. I believe my nephew still has about half that bad case just sitting around somewhere. he wont shoot any more of those. He could cut them open and re-use the shot if he reloaded shotgun shells, or make a nice shot bag. :) Remove the powder and use the primers for noise poppers to scare away stray dogs or other critters. I have popped primers in the back yard to do the same, sounds like a small firecracker but they dirty up the barrel.

If you want to try some Super Targets I could drop some by with you if you'd be interested in that. I saw you're in Kingston Springs and I'm in Charlotte.

If you want to try some Super Targets I could drop some by with you if you'd be interested in that. I saw you're in Kingston Springs and I'm in Charlotte.

Sure i'll try them again, i'm sure Winchester got some complaints about those in the past, I would think/hope a company with a reputation like Winchester would fix a problem. I have other Winchester ammo, shot a lot of White Box .45, they all shoot but a little dirtier than some others, also I just bought some Winchester .22lR and have some Super X field loads #6 shot that shoot fine. You could probably find a problem with any company producing a lemon once in a while, the best business policy is to just fix it.

I wont get to shoot this weekend though like i wanted to, my sister is coming up from Birmingham today for the weekend and she stays at my place when she comes but if you're ever driving by the K.S. exit or going to White Bluff for something someday PM me. 

• Like 1

Well I got the box of Federal 7-1/2 target at Dicks for $5.48 but they were on sale.
BTW, that sign at Dicks about firearms being checked by customer service doesn't apply to sidearms carried by HCP holders does it? I just "ASSUMED" it meant when bringing a gun back for warranty or taking a newly bought gun out of the store, something like that so I didn't bother to read all of the sign. If it's not a gun buster sign I don't see it pertaining to HCP holders and will ignore it. If I did see a gun buster sign I would never have went in and bought anything but I ain't checking my shootin arn in with the Marshall.

That's the way I interpret the sign as well. Applies to guns being brought in for warranty, scope fitting, etc. and not HCP in a holster.
  • Like 1

Was going through my shotgun ammo box to organize and put the new stuff in and came across these. A while back I bought a milk crate of household cleaners, 3 full cans of spray paint and these were in the crate all fo $2. Aren't yard sales great sometimes? Anyway, they advertize proudly "all new plastic" shells with a .3 cent Tennessee tax stamp on the box so you know they have to be old. Only 2 shells were missing and there was an oddball Remington Victor #9 shot shell in there. I have no doubt they are shootable but, I haven't because while they might not be worth much they are still collectables. Would you shoot any?

Old%20Shotgun%20Shells_zpspvhqtlrk.jpg

Nope just hang on to them.  Nice to look at.......Of course size 5 shot doesn't have a big calling around TN unless you are hunting rabbits or going after some bigger upland birds in the mid West.  Don't waste them on clays.  Now the 9's, well again an old shell; up to you for the skeet range.

Scored some .22 today :)

My sister found these in an old watchmakers cabinet she bought along with some loose .32acp's. These are some old .22's, a little green around the gills, the box is mostly full, I might try some out of my Rhom .22 SA, $20. yard sale pistol but i'm not going to shoot them out of my 10/22, they advertize a wax coating on them.

That box probably cost a wopping .25 cents back in the day.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/Old%2022s_zps1kn871ux.jpg.html]Old%2022s_zps1kn871ux.jpg[/URL]

Edited by K191145

I missed my chance last weekend to try them out but i'm going to shoot some this weekend at my brothers house who doesn't live in the city limits.

No I think the cheapest you can get is $5-$5.50 if you get cheap lead. Those dove loads made by Federal are pretty good.

Let me ask a silly question. Would any target, skeet load with #7 to #9 shot also be a good dove load? I'm just wondering why there is a special dove load.

From what I've noticed the dove loads are generally 1 and 1/8th oz of shot, whereas many target loads are 1oz. That's not true across the board, but often.

Again just marketing bs IMHO. Depends on what discipline of shooting you are buying shells for. Skeet I like 1 oz #9 2 3/4 dr 1145 fps. For 16 yard trap I like 1 1/8 oz #8 2 3/4 dr 1145. For handicap I like 1 1/8 oz #7.5 2 3/4 dr 1145. For doubles I like to shoot either a light load and a heavy load or just two of the same loads. For sporting clays I like the fastest and heaviest shell I can get ~1300 fps and 1 1/8 oz #8.

It's just personal opinion. I think it is all just how its labeled all shot that you get at Walmart will break a target regardless of what the damn box says. Except #9 on trap you'll be fine.

From what I've noticed the dove loads are generally 1 and 1/8th oz of shot, whereas many target loads are 1oz. That's not true across the board, but often.

Well the box of Rio game loads i have are #7,1/2,  1oz.  The Federal Target and Winchester Super Target are #8,  1,1/8oz.

Again just marketing bs IMHO. Depends on what discipline of shooting you are buying shells for. Skeet I like 1 oz #9 2 3/4 dr 1145 fps. For 16 yard trap I like 1 1/8 oz #8 2 3/4 dr 1145. For handicap I like 1 1/8 oz #7.5 2 3/4 dr 1145. For doubles I like to shoot either a light load and a heavy load or just two of the same loads. For sporting clays I like the fastest and heaviest shell I can get ~1300 fps and 1 1/8 oz #8.

It's just personal opinion. I think it is all just how its labeled all shot that you get at Walmart will break a target regardless of what the damn box says. Except #9 on trap you'll be fine.

So remove the "Super Target" and add Winchester "Dove", add $2 to the box?  :)

Another brand that's become popular at our club is the Clever Mirage: several folks shot them in state ATA matches this past target year with no complaints.  Can't give any info RE performance in semi-autos, but they seem to feed fine in Win Model 12s.  Gamaliel has them for $5.90/box in lots of flavors.

• Like 1

By no means an expert but I recommend a brass base.

Used 2 different brands of aluminum in two training class, learned how to mortar my shotgun to remove a spent hull.

No issues with brass as the gun warms up...

I was told they were a "bi-metal" base and not aluminum, anyway i'm sure they are less expensive to make than brass.