Carry position while riding in vehicle

Guest JLowe

I see that alot of you have put some serious thought in carrying in the vehicle. I would always suggest that you have at least 1 attached to your person. If you carry another one in the car for a quicker response to a threat I would find some way to secure it. In a compartment is a good place as long as there is nothing in the compartment with the gun. Putting it between the seats or under you leg is not so secure and the gun can get lost or be laying in the floor board when you really need it. The other thing to consider is if you have a serious accident and are not able to tell the emergency personnel that there was a gun unsecured in the vehicle. Then no one knows to look for it and it can end up in the hands of an unauthorized person.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend several hours a day in a car. I use a Wilderness Safepacker strapped to the seatbelt. It is also good for off body carry when in dress clothes. No one even gives it a second look in my hand. They think it is a planner or something. I also open the flap and insert it between the mattress and box springs at the hotel. I can reach it immediately and although I am in a different hotel every night I always know where it is going to be when I go for it.

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

Mick

Guest Wilson1

When in my '06 Z71 with full console and bucket seats - there is an open compartment in the dash just above the console (below stereo and A/C controls) into which my :koolaid:Glock 23 or 32 fit perfectly.

Mike

I keep it on me for the most part. My reason is that if I get carjacked and pulled from the car, my gun is still with me, not the truck. If I want it for quicker access, I have my XD gear holster between the seat and console.

Here is what I will do when hopefully I am able to buy this type Jeep:

Funtimes006.jpg

Guest bkelm18
I keep it on me for the most part. My reason is that if I get carjacked and pulled from the car, my gun is still with me, not the truck. If I want it for quicker access, I have my XD gear holster between the seat and console.

Here is what I will do when hopefully I am able to buy this type Jeep:

Funtimes006.jpg

What is that?

I tend to keep the AOW in the trunk unloaded with 4 in the side saddle, the saiga 12 in the backseat with a 10rd mag next to me, and if im going to Wal-mart the Saiga .308 sits in the passenger seat...oh yeah...the .45 IWB..cant forget that one...and sometimes the .38 in the center armrest. Occasionally the bulletproof vest and gas mask ride in the trunk as well :P

I tend to keep the AOW in the trunk unloaded with 4 in the side saddle, the saiga 12 in the backseat with a 10rd mag next to me, and if im going to Wal-mart the Saiga .308 sits in the passenger seat...oh yeah...the .45 IWB..cant forget that one...and sometimes the .38 in the center armrest. Occasionally the bulletproof vest and gas mask ride in the trunk as well :P

Were you packing last week?

I was looking but never seen anything

Guest bkelm18
XD in the "XD Gear" holster attached to metal bracket.

That what you mean?

- OS

Yeah that's what I was referring to. It looked like an XDGear holster but I couldn't quite tell what it was attached to. I might have to try that.

XD in the "XD Gear" holster attached to metal bracket.

That what you mean?

- OS

Yeah that's what I was referring to. It looked like an XDGear holster but I couldn't quite tell what it was attached to. I might have to try that.

Reason I knew right off, had seen it somewhere recently...found it, xdtalk, more and detailed pix, too (scroll down page):

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/94213-pretty-much-agreed-sa-holsters-junk.html

- OS

I find the appendix carry position to work well for me. It was a little uncomfortable at first but I found that if I reclined the seat back just a little all the discomfort went away. Very quick and easy access, just make sure you remember to pull cover garments out from under the lap belt.

Guest TnDeerHunter

I have a F-150 and the storage compartment in the door,holds a clip on holster nicely and ready avaible. Only drawback is weak hand draw but you can access weapon without much movement .

Guest canynracer
I typically carry OWB @ 4:00 with a loose fitting shirt covering. Once I get in my truck, I tuck the shirt in between the gun and myself. My holster has a strong forward cant and I can draw just over the seatbelt without issue.

There have also been times that I have slipped the pistol between the seat and center console sans holster...

same here...

That way if your being carjacked, you simply are taking your seatbelt off in compliance with the attacker, when your hand clears, its a bad day for the bg

same here...

That way if your being carjacked, you simply are taking your seatbelt off in compliance with the attacker, when your hand clears, its a bad day for the bg

Thats why I always have one there, but I always have a BUG placed elsewhere, secured, for quicker access.

I spend several hours a day in a car. I use a Wilderness Safepacker strapped to the seatbelt. It is also good for off body carry when in dress clothes. No one even gives it a second look in my hand. They think it is a planner or something. I also open the flap and insert it between the mattress and box springs at the hotel. I can reach it immediately and although I am in a different hotel every night I always know where it is going to be when I go for it.

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

Mick

+1 on the safepacker - really comfortable and versatile for long car trips. Good if you are in a NPE or a tourist/shopping area as well. Looks like a little camera bag or a weird fanny pack

Has anyone got any experience with this?

http://www.grassburr.com/custom-leather-products.asp

I am pretty sure that there is a big enough gap for me to place a holster between the seat and my center console in my explorer. However, like JLowe said it needs to be in a secured place. I fear what would happen if I get into an accident and my gun is not secured well and I think the grassburr mount will work, I just don't know if it's a well made item or not.

Guest Phantom6

If any of you have ever been in a car accident you know how much stuff flies around during this erratically changing attitudinal realignment and rapid deceleration of a vehicle. If your firearm is not secured you could be in deep poo poo. IMHO center console is OK but under the dash or in the door pocket are much better choices. Of course these would be BUGs to your on -body BUG and main.

If any of you have ever been in a car accident you know how much stuff flies around during this erratically changing attitudinal realignment and rapid deceleration of a vehicle. If your firearm is not secured you could be in deep poo poo. IMHO center console is OK but under the dash or in the door pocket are much better choices. Of course these would be BUGs to your on -body BUG and main.

Any unconcealed gun placement in a vehicle is problematic in more ways than an accident. A simple taffic stop can become an issue I'd rather not deal with.

Guest bkelm18
Any unconcealed gun placement in a vehicle is problematic in more ways than an accident. A simple taffic stop can become an issue I'd rather not deal with.

Worrying about a LEO wetting his/her pants when they see my lawfully carried firearm is secondary to my own personal safety. If I can't get to my firearm quickly and easily while sitting in my car, it is useless to me.