King of excuses

I've been trying to get a group of 5 friends to come shoot at my house for almost two years now. The are all long time gun owners and outdoorsmen, and all have their HCP but show no interest in getting together for a day of shooting. I've got a safe, private range here with lots of reactive steel targets and know lots of great drills, but none of that interests them. I guess the cost of ammo might deter some along with having an overall busy life, but I think the lack of awareness is the biggest problem. I got some funny looks from the guys mentioned above when I told them I was going to Texas for a handgun training class a few weeks ago. They just don't seem to get it, or say something like, "Oh, I'd like to do that sometime." Well get up and go do it!

I agree with what was said before in that there is a big difference between gun owners and "gun people."
  • Like 1

When I meet with my friends I like to drink beer and BS. biggrin.gif

I like shooting with a group for fun, but if a tactics and training class breaks out; I’ll be the guy critiquing and pointing out who lived and who died.

I've been trying to get a group of 5 friends to come shoot at my house for almost two years now. The are all long time gun owners and outdoorsmen, and all have their HCP but show no interest in getting together for a day of shooting. I've got a safe, private range here with lots of reactive steel targets and know lots of great drills, but none of that interests them. I guess the cost of ammo might deter some along with having an overall busy life, but I think the lack of awareness is the biggest problem. I got some funny looks from the guys mentioned above when I told them I was going to Texas for a handgun training class a few weeks ago. They just don't seem to get it, or say something like, "Oh, I'd like to do that sometime." Well get up and go do it!

I agree with what was said before in that there is a big difference between gun owners and "gun people."

Do you think it could be because out of your group the guys may be concerned their skills aren’t what they should be?

Wow. Wish I had access to a place like that. My budget and time constraints wouldn't allow me to shoot a tremendous amount, but I'm sure dry fire exercises would be useful.

When I meet with my friends I like to drink beer and BS. biggrin.gif

I like shooting with a group for fun, but if a tactics and training class breaks out; I’ll be the guy critiquing and pointing out who lived and who died.

Do you think it could be because out of your group the guys may be concerned their skills aren’t what they should be?

I like to drink cold beer and shoot the S too. Alcohol, tobacco and firearms sound like a hell of a get together.  :usa:

I've never ran group tactics other than me and my friend. I enjoy it but would want to keep it pretty low speed high drag at first. Don't need to test the bullet proofness of my vest just yet. 

• Like 1

Quickbiscuit, if you have any interest in hosting a class let me know.....all we need is a range.......

Thanks, Randy. I'll keep that in mind.

...Do you think it could be because out of your group the guys may be concerned their skills aren’t what they should be?

I don't think so. I'm not a Grand Master level shooter, and they all know that. I've never pushed training or drills on them either. I guess there are plenty of gun owners out there who just aren't into shooting for the sport of it and don't understand the need for proper self defense training.

Wow. Wish I had access to a place like that. My budget and time constraints wouldn't allow me to shoot a tremendous amount, but I'm sure dry fire exercises would be useful.

I can understand and relate to that. I would love to shoot every day but can't always find the time between work and family. That would hurt the wallet quite a bit too. Handloading helps ease the blow. I try to order large amounts of components when I can, so that way I mostly forget about the cost when I start using them months later. Haha! I'll be the first to admit that I probably wouldn't shoot very often if I had to go to Walmart and buy a couple hundred rounds of .45 every time that I wanted to visit the range. I would have to think about the expense too much then. It's an expensive hobby, but most of the fun ones are!