Long Range 308/7.62 Semi Auto Build Help

Monkeyman2500

If you're looking for a dedicated 1000 yard gun, and it has to be an AR-10 platform, I think $2500 should get you the gun, but you'll spend another $2k or more for glass on it. If it's just for fun and only want to reach out on occasion to see if you can, then you might make that $2500 budget all together. Just to be clear, I'm no F-class or regular big bore shooter, but regardless of what anyone may claim 1000 yards is a LONG way out there for most rifles (and shooters), especially gas guns.

Yea I may never have those skills but it's been something I've always wanted to try and just never thought I would have the time or place to do it. I'm trying to get as much info as I can so I don't buy the wrong setup.

Not sure why you asked us anyway. Seems like it would have been easier to ask your in house expert!

Let me tell you, MrsMonkey can blast through 500 rounds of 10mm or .45 like a pro, but I've always wanted to try some long range slow precision stuff. It's something me and a friend have talked about but just never really tried. I have a feeling laying on the ground and taking a shot every five minutes might bore MrsMonkey to death. :)

Not sure why you asked us anyway. Seems like it would have been easier to ask your in house expert!

:rofl: You are an angel for saying that, but it isn't true. By expert, I only am an expert on what I like and my husband is right. I am a 10mm and .45 girl.

Let me tell you, MrsMonkey can blast through 500 rounds of 10mm or .45 like a pro, but I've always wanted to try some long range slow precision stuff. It's something me and a friend have talked about but just never really tried. I have a feeling laying on the ground and taking a shot every five minutes might bore MrsMonkey to death. :)

:up:  Very, VERY, very true. Unless it was a 50 cal and then it would just be fun for a few times and then I would be bored. I am a pistol woman. Plain and simple. You can shoot the zombies far away and I will just take care of the ones that are close. By the way, I need funds for some swords. LOL  :devil:

Hold those chuckles. JP makes GREAT rifles, and well worth the money. A DPMS is worth what they charge too.

That may well be; but I would have to see it. biggrin.gif
I’m not chuckling at the rifle anyway; I’m chuckling at the broad range we cover in these threads.

This is very accurate.

In a perfect world I win the Mega and get EVERYONE a Glock lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

In the perfect world I like in I win the Mega or PB and give people money to buy their own Glocks as to not commit a felony (Straw purchase? Right?). But only people I like. LOL Then I use the rest to buy anything and everything under the sun that goes BOOM.

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 1

:up:  Very, VERY, very true. Unless it was a 50 cal and then it would just be fun for a few times and then I would be bored. I am a pistol woman. Plain and simple. You can shoot the zombies far away and I will just take care of the ones that are close. By the way, I need funds for some swords. LOL  :devil:

Shooting a 50 never gets boring, I just luv giving my fellow shooters a warning before I shoot and they don't heed that warning..

Shooting a 50 never gets boring, I just luv giving my fellow shooters a warning before I shoot and they don't heed that warning..

I can imagine that you are right about that, but I have an Auto Immune condition. My joints don't always comply with what I'd like my body to do/feel like. Which I know sounds weird when I say I love 10mm and  .45 but the thing is, my forearms and wrists have strength built up form target practice. When I shoot my shotgun or any of the rifles my shoulders, neck and back always hate me. But I would watch someone shoot one for hours! :) Like Monkey. He does long range practice with one of his rifles and I just like sitting there watching him. He gets so happy and in the zone, that in itself is fun for me.

I can imagine that you are right about that, but I have an Auto Immune condition. My joints don't always comply with what I'd like my body to do/feel like. Which I know sounds weird when I say I love 10mm and .45 but the thing is, my forearms and wrists have strength built up form target practice. When I shoot my shotgun or any of the rifles my shoulders, neck and back always hate me. But I would watch someone shoot one for hours! :) Like Monkey. He does long range practice with one of his rifles and I just like sitting there watching him. He gets so happy and in the zone, that in itself is fun for me.

You just need to fire the right 50.

My Armalite AR50-A1B is about like shooting a .22lr.

fb249d3c9bfbcaf68d7ba325e949bccd.jpg

Observe no kick. If on a slick surface. Most you get is a really slow push rearward.

https://vimeo.com/145620391

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

That may well be; but I would have to see it. biggrin.gif
I’m not chuckling at the rifle anyway; I’m chuckling at the broad range we cover in these threads.

Some folks believe that long range requires extreme accuracy. That usually comes at a high cost. Given your line  of work, you gotta know that finer machine tolerances, hand fitting, etc. drives the price way up. I have one rifle with a lot of JP parts... barrel, handguard, etc. Not saying that JP is my favorite stuff. But, they do put the quality into their products, and it's relevant here. 

Edited by mikegideon

You just need to fire the right 50.

My Armalite AR50-A1B is about like shooting a .22lr.

fb249d3c9bfbcaf68d7ba325e949bccd.jpg

Observe no kick. If on a slick surface. Most you get is a really slow push rearward.

https://vimeo.com/145620391

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With friends like you, who needs enemies? WarPig and Comms practically forced me to go buy 2 new glocks and now this! Good lord I'm gonna be living in that self driving Sequioa with all my new toys. LOL

Some folks believe that long range requires extreme accuracy. That usually comes at a high cost. Given your line  of work, you gotta know that finer machine tolerances, hand fitting, etc. drives the price way up. I have one rifle with a lot of JP parts... barrel, handguard, etc. Not saying that JP is my favorite stuff. But, they do put the quality into their products, and it's relevant here. 

I have JP reduced mass bolts and springs in all my 308 ar's. Using adjustable gas blocks I've been able to get the recoil way down. It was mostly an exercise to see if I could but I was really happy with the results. My wife is recoil sensitive and she likes shooting them a lot. They also wear surefire brakes which I think helps a lot.

Yea I may never have those skills but it's been something I've always wanted to try and just never thought I would have the time or place to do it. I'm trying to get as much info as I can so I don't buy the wrong setup.

Completely understand that.  I usually over-research things (if you ask my wife), but if I'm spending a bunch of money I only want to have to do it one time.  If it was me, I'd find a setup for that $2500 budget, and if you want more after that, the AR-10 platform is easily modified and upgraded.  

I would like to buy the rifle complete minus scope and bipod if possible. I know for a fact building it will just add up and I just don't have time for any other projects right now. If you had to pick a stock gun under 2k for long range which would it be and why. I feel like it would need to be a 20" barrel as well. Also I'm not worried about size and weight. Only accuracy and durability.

For that budget you have the choice of several good companies.  Armalite, Colt, Sig, and S&W all make .308 ARs for under $2k.  Mega and some of the other "smaller" manufacturers do as well.  Trigger and barrel are where you'll make your money on a long range AR-10 (before you get to glass and ammo). 20" barrel is about right, although the AR10 I built had an 18" barrel on it.  It was a Kreiger blank done up by White Oak Precision and it was a tack driver.  I never pushed it to 1000, but it could sure hold its own at 700-800, and I took a hog in Texas at just under 500 with it.  Then again, if you're doing a dedicated LR platform why not go with the 20" or even 22".

Sig makes a bunch of different DMR's in .308

They don't have them all listed here, but you can google and find them online:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/rifles-sig716.aspx

Some are over your budget, but just to show you the configs:

http://grabagun.com/sig-sauer-sig716-dmr-7-62-18-inch-assault-rifle-20rd2157.html

http://grabagun.com/sig-sauer-sauer-13.html

http://grabagun.com/sig-sauer-sauer-15.html Edited by JohnC

So far I really like what I've read about the DPMS gen2 308's. The sass looks to be a very solid platform and gets some great reviews. Unfortunately it seems to be completely unavailable. I've got my local store searching for one.

http://www.randomdiscountars.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=79

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_29_30_31&products_id=30826&zenid=68a575a18fcb2960eed27b293560371d

Cheaper than Dirt has a bunch of different models as well.

Buds has a bunch:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_793/DPMS+Panther+Arms/

This one is hard to beat for a long range gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/90759/DPMS+RFLR-G2B24+GII+Bull+20%2B1+308WIN7.62NATO+24%22

But as I said try to get the G2 over the G1. The G2 is much better and much lighter than the G1. It is not even an AR10 because it is very, very different than any other 308 based AR.

This one is hard to beat for a long range gun.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/90759/DPMS+RFLR-G2B24+GII+Bull+20%2B1+308WIN7.62NATO+24%22

But as I said try to get the G2 over the G1. The G2 is much better and much lighter than the G1. It is not even an AR10 because it is very, very different than any other 308 based AR.

Oh man that might be the ticket. I'll ask my LGS tomorrow if that one is available. I still can't find a sass 308 though. Buds and all of them are sold out of the 308. Those others are the mini 5.56. And yes it will definitely be a gen2. Thanks for letting me know about these.

Oh man that might be the ticket. I'll ask my LGS tomorrow if that one is available. I still can't find a sass 308 though. Buds and all of them are sold out of the 308. Those others are the mini 5.56. And yes it will definitely be a gen2. Thanks for letting me know about these.

What SASS are you looking for?