Walther PPS opinions?

seez52

Opinions here of a Walther PPS? Thinking about one for carry. Are they supported with a selection of holsters? Didn't I read somewhere that Smith is not going to be be distributing anymore?

I have a P22 which is a fun one to shoot and feels good in your hand but it's been a little finicky on ammo. Hickock45 seemed to like the PPS. 

Good overall size, fantastic ergonomics, good holster and magazine availability, sights are good with solid aftermarket availabilities. Excellent out of the box trigger and very attractive pricing so its not a bad little package. I like the PPS but am not likely to be buying one because I am staying with other platforms. But I do make an effort to seriously evaluate pistols I find of interest.

My wife has one in .40. (Bought it from "Lumpy" Lambert at a show, btw.)

Pros: Good size for carry, SUPER accurate, good size for her small hands.

Cons: It isn't all that reliable. I have heard the 9mm is more reliable. If it isn't squeaky clean and lubed, it will jam all day. I guess the tolerances are so tight. Good for accuracy, bad for reliability. And I don't like the mag release.

I'm pretty well committed to 9mm so it won't be a .40. I haven't shot either a shield or pps. I do have a Keltec PF9 and a P11 that I've always liked, but it's no fun for shooting, way too much recoil, and probably not all that accurate,  acceptable out to 25 yards.

My father has the 9mm version and it is the only bottom feeder that he owns. It is a fine shooter with a decent trigger. I don't think that it has ever malfunctioned. However, I see no reason to buy a PPS over a Shield. We both agree that the Shield is the better gun in almost all aspects.

I have owned both the PPS, in 40 and 9, as well as a Shield in 9.

I thought the PPS a bit awkward for me to hold. In 40 cal, it was harsh shooting, to say the least. The 9mil was better, but I still didn't like it or find it comfortable to carry or shoot. But those are my opinions, your thoughts might be different.

As far as the quality, heck. It's a Walther. A good product. I have several Walthers, and except for mag costs, they are all great.

Now, the Shield. I found it to fit my had immediately and it was very comfortable to hold and shoot. I have about medium hands if that makes

it easier to picture.

I find it very accurate, and it carries well for me. I have to use a owb holster, it just feels better to me. And I carry at my hip or maybe a bit rearward, at about a 4 o'clock position. With a loose shirt/tent on me, it doesn't print. And doesn't interfere with driving. 

I've been tempted to get a laser for it as well. But not really sure yet.

Try both if you can. Either would be a good carry option. Both can carry 6/7 round mags, and the size is quite similar. I think the PPS was a bit taller(slide top to bottom of mag), and the Shield just a bit sorter in slide and barrel length. I apologize if I have reversed these size comparisons, as I don't have the PPS in fromt of me now.

But as you can see, I prefer the Shield as well. In fact I have 2. I bought my wife one. She did not like it. So you see it is very personal as to whether it works for you or not.

Good luck in your search.

It's my primary carry gun. I've been using it for over 5 years. Easy concealment, great trigger, good sights, and it's a Walther. Never had a jam. I find it easy to shoot and highly accurate. I have the 9mm version.

I also have the Walther PPQ (40 cal; M1 version). I really like this gun also, but the trigger is too "light" for concealed carry (my opinion). It's a great range shooter.

Edited by TexasAggie