Hearing Protection Act

I know this is a pipe dream but if by some miracle it were to actually go through, I was thinking of all of us who have suppressors already.  Would we be able to buy sell and trade amongst ourselves as we do with our privately held firearms?  What of the paper trail for those of us with Trusts or those who own one individually?  

It may seem nonsensical to some, but I can see the merit in dispensing with that paper trail.  Could one not sell their suppressors to a dealer, get a receipt and file whatever necessary paper work with the ATF to show the trust is dissolved and the assets legally liquidated?  Would it be shady dealing to ask a dealer to do this and then buy it back for a slight fee?  

Just curiosity wandering.  

Good question, Caster. My wife and I were talking about this very thing last night. Well this and the trusts for our suppressors and other things.

I certainly don't like paying the 200 blackmail to own one, but probably would not grip about it so much if I(we) were able to buy and sell these at will.

I know this is a pipe dream but if by some miracle it were to actually go through, I was thinking of all of us who have suppressors already.  Would we be able to buy sell and trade amongst ourselves as we do with our privately held firearms?  What of the paper trail for those of us with Trusts or those who own one individually?  

It may seem nonsensical to some, but I can see the merit in dispensing with that paper trail.  Could one not sell their suppressors to a dealer, get a receipt and file whatever necessary paper work with the ATF to show the trust is dissolved and the assets legally liquidated?  Would it be shady dealing to ask a dealer to do this and then buy it back for a slight fee?  

Well, the act simply removes them as NFA, no difference mentioned between those already registered, so existing ones would simply become GSA GCA firearms I reckon.

But no rebate. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, the act simply removes them as NFA, no difference mentioned between those already registered, so existing ones would simply become GSA firearms I reckon.

But no rebate. ;)

- OS

Why would they become GSA firearms? They're not firearms by any definition of a firearm that makes any kind of sense. Why wouldn't they just become accessories like optics if they're removed from the NFA? Or is there a federal definition of "firearm" that includes suppressors?

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

I'm just posting here to follow the thread as it's interesting reading...

Please ignore me while I sit in the corner

There's a button in the top right called "Follow this topic". Then you can get back to it quickly by choosing the down arrow by your screen name in the very top of the page and then choosing "Content I Follow".

You're right, it is a pipe dream. Suppressor manufacturers are probably silently lobbying against this. If they were legal, suppressors wouldn't command nearly the money they do. It's absolutely insane that a suppressor should cost more than the guns to which most people attach them.

Suppressor manufacturers should be heavily lobbying for this bill. This increases there target audience by thousands if not millions. I wouldn't see the price dropping a great deal on the units themselves but sales would certainly go through the roof. I know if I were selling an item that was targeting a small percentage of the available market and suddenly there was a chance to increase that, I'd be all over it.

Monkeylizard, thanks for the forum help. I knew that was there on the full site but I'm on the mobile site and that's not an option that I could find unless you post a reply. Until now I didn't think I had $.02 to pitch in...hence the post above.

You are right about that.  It would be good for the whole gun industry.  Imagine all the AR manufacturers offering their rifle WITH a suppressor.  Factory tuned rifles from the top shelf companies.  Integrally suppressed hunting rifles.  The industry would explode.  Not just for the tactical crowd either.  Imagine if Weatherby offered a factory suppressed .300 Weatherby mag hunting rifle?  There are a lot of hardcore hunters who would LOVE that.  

The guys in marketing at every major gun manufacturer should be slobbering at the mouth for this.  

• Like 2

Maybe. Margins would certainly drop, but volume would go through the roof.

Suppressor manufacturers should be heavily lobbying for this bill. This increases there target audience by thousands if not millions. I wouldn't see the price dropping a great deal on the units themselves but sales would certainly go through the roof. I know if I were selling an item that was targeting a small percentage of the available market and suddenly there was a chance to increase that, I'd be all over it.

Monkeylizard, thanks for the forum help. I knew that was there on the full site but I'm on the mobile site and that's not an option that I could find unless you post a reply. Until now I didn't think I had $.02 to pitch in...hence the post above.

You guys are probably correct. Dumb old me, I didn't think of that angle. It's just usually the case that stupid, restrictive regulations are lobbied for the heaviest by the incumbent businesses as a sort of political protectionism.

What Caster said. I don't think anyone in the manufacturing side opposes this. The shear volume would create such a vastly different economy of scale for them that the prices could plummet and they'd still make more profit per can, not to mention sell a whole lot more cans. I know I'd have a bunch.

There's a button in the top right called "Follow this topic". Then you can get back to it quickly by choosing the down arrow by your screen name in the very top of the page and then choosing "Content I Follow".

Damn, you're smart. :) I guess I don't get to use the new button this time. I will remember tho.

I use it to tag threads that I think I'll want to refer back to later and long after they stop being active, like if there's a good comparison of something that I'm considering but not yet ready to buy, or some of the threads where Dolo shared lots of good info on the .300 BLK. It's not something I'm in to right now, but I'm interested and know I'd want that exact info if I ever take the plunge. Makes it easy to find later.

Edited by monkeylizard
Silencerco lobbies heavily for this sort of thing. #fightthenoise I think it is.

I would think if this passed and they could sell that many more it would allow more R&D for more innovative products.

If this passed, like mentioned before, it would change the market drastically. Heck even now in European countries, it is considered common courtesy to use a suppressor and they aren't restricted anymore than the rifles over there.

Why would they become GSA firearms? They're not firearms by any definition of a firearm that makes any kind of sense. Why wouldn't they just become accessories like optics if they're removed from the NFA? Or is there a federal definition of "firearm" that includes suppressors?

GCA, oops.

Because yes, 18 USC 921 says they are firearms, and this bill does not amend that statute. It only removes them as NFA firearms from the IRS part of code.

"The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; ( B ) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; ( C ) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm."

It is seen as a better chance to get passed,  a sop to the namby pambies, at least keeping these "Al Capone hitman" type devices under control by having to do a background check same as other firearms. Much as TN does with the parts of the law to assuage the hand wringers with most every new part of firearm freedom it enacts.

Until universal background checks are enacted though, in most states you could sell them in personal sales, just like any other GCA firearm.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

New Zealand too, IIRC.

I have a couple of friends in New Zealand. You can buy a suppressor there as easy as buying a loaf and bread and a gallon of milk. While there's certainly no RULE in place, most shooing ranges really look down their nose at you for NOT having one on any rifle that makes a lot of noise.