So I got pulled over in Franklin...

I go through the whole process of getting my ticket and trying not to make the officer nervous or anything before he gets to my truck or while he's at his cruiser filling out the ticket. So after he hands me my ticket he asks if I have any questions about my ticket. I look at him and say 'no sir, but I do have a question.' he says ok. And I ask him.... 'when you ran my plates did it show up as me having a handgun carry permit?' he looks at me kinda funny and says 'no, that shows up when I run your drivers license.' So I said 'ok, did it show up?' and he says 'honestly I didn't notice, sometimes I notice but just now it didn't jump out at me. why?' And I replied 'I applied for my permit about a month ago and I was just curious if it had gone through yet.' :) I thanked him and shook his hand, he walked back to his cruiser and I drove away still waiting for my permit. :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rockytop

Be patient guys and gals. When "shall issue" became effective, I waited the "published" maximum waiting period of 90 days and it still didn't come. I finally had to contact the Department of Safety, Commisioner's office. They researched it and promised to "fast track" it, (meaning "it's been buried in somebody's in-box"). But they made up for it, because I received the "fast track" one 3 days later and a second one about a week after that. That brings to mind a tidbit of information regarding license. Is everyone aware that you can purchase an additional copy of your permit for a $5.00 fee. It's pretty handy not having to dig your permit out of your wallet to take with you on a walk, bike ride or etc.

Guest Hyaloid

Am I mistaken? I thought they couldn't access our HCP information on a routine stop... and that we had no duty to inform.

I know the permit number is the same as the driver's license number, so I assume this was done for a reason, but I didn't think they had that capability yet.

Doesn't much matter to me anyhow, as I inform the officer regardless, more of an intellectual point for me personally.

Am I mistaken? I thought they couldn't access our HCP information on a routine stop... and that we had no duty to inform.

I know the permit number is the same as the driver's license number, so I assume this was done for a reason, but I didn't think they had that capability yet.

Doesn't much matter to me anyhow, as I inform the officer regardless, more of an intellectual point for me personally.

I listen to the scanner quite a bit, and around here when a cop asks for

a "10-28", which is a DL check, part of the info the dispatcher reads back

is either "no gun permit" or "valid gun permit", usually it's the former since

relatively few drivers have their HCP

I have never heard permit status with registration info

I have never heard permit status with registration info

The reason for this is because the permit is tied to the person, just like the license.

The registration is tied to the car, and it's not uncommon to have several people share a car in a family or business.

A drivers license query will return basic information such as name, address, date of birth, and license status. In addition to that there is a section titled Gun Carry Permit. It will either say none or valid. If the officer has an in car computer that information will be there for them to see. If dispatch has to run the drivers license, the dispatcher can either provide the carry permit information or the officer can ask for it. It has been that way for some time now. It is linked to the drivers license and not the vehicle license/registration.

Guest macho999

I'm over here really sympathizing with you guys having to wait 2 weeks. I took the horrible boring class, applied, got fingerprinted and a month and a half later was denied because I apparently had been convicted of aggravated assault in chattanooga in 97.

Well that was BS because I was about 14 years old in 97 and had never been to chattanooga in my life at that time. I call the number they gave me on my refusal form to contest it and talk to someone we'll call "Shaqueefa." Shaq says it'll all be taken care of.

About a month later I call again and talk to "Aunt Bea." Bea obviously knows what is going on. She says nobody ever documented that I protested my refusal. Nothing had been done with my application. It was very odd I had been denied since I had a different birthday, social security number (mine is a Texas ssn, which not a whole lot of Tennesseans have I assume), and middle name as the guy with the assault conviction.

After talking with Bea it took another week or so. She was also very interested in who I talked to the first time I called and seemed rather pissed off.

So yeah, no sympathy here from me for anyone waiting a couple of weeks on a permit.

Guest macho999
That's what you get for being from Texas, and the fact that we have to wait at all is reason enough to complain.

Now that I'm thinking about it you are right on both counts. Getting a permit is nothing but a waste of time fee grab by the state. We shouldn't have to do that at all. You go through less **** when you get arrested than when you apply for a permit.

Know how you feel Macho. When I applied for my civilian carry permit, I had to go through the standard ink type fingerprinting. It took two or three weeks to even get an appointment to take the prints back them. The fact that I've been fingerprinted a zillion times and had multiple very extensive background checks over the years was of course irrelevant.

Then it took a couple of months to get the permit.

As you say, we shouldn't have to go through the checks at all. The criminals don't when they want to carry.

Guest jackdog

That's what happens when you let your government turn a right into a privilege. Crappy thing is that most of the politicians have and are doing more illegal crap than anyone.

Before the Cheatham Co. Sheriffs got digital radios I used to listen to my scanner and when listening to a traffic stop the dispatcher always told the officer either negative or positive on handgun permit.

As you say, we shouldn't have to go through the checks at all. The criminals don't when they want to carry.

A simple solution would be if a felon is caught carrying he/she serves hard time just for that charge. Like you said, carry permits are not going to stop criminals from carrying anyway.

Guest WingedSnake

Yeah, the ladies working in the TDOS handgun permit office arn't the most on-the-ball I've ever seen.

About a year and a half ago, I got married and wanted to change my last name on my DL and CCW permit. The DL was done on the spot; however, I had to fill out the form and wait while the handgun permit office processed it for several weeks waiting for the CCW permit to be re-printed with my new name on it. Well, I got my new permit in the mail - and it featured my new signature, but still my old last name (signature and name didn't match) :up:. So I went back to the DMV, and showed them my yellow copy of my form and what my new last name should be, and they re-submitted the form. Several weeks later, I got ANOTHER permit in the mail, same thing - new signature, old last name :rolleyes:. 3rd trip to the DMV, resubmitted the form again... finally got a CCW permit with the correct name and signature on it. Total process - about 3 months.

We sympathise - just hang in there and follow up with them a lot!

• 1 month later...
Guest BigBoostDSM

The fellow at the range today said that the turnaround is about three weeks if you do the electronic fingerprinting. Here's to hoping he's right!