Question for any recent or current military(Army) in particular.

K191145

It's been since 83 since I was in the 24th Infantry Mechanized, since then a lot of weapons and vehicles have been replaced. Now I have heard the Ruskies never scrapped anything, somewhere in old buildings are old T52's and so on. I have wondered what we did with all those M60A1 Patton tanks, do we still use some, did we sell some to other countries or did we scrap them? What about the thousand of M113APC's, same question although we still use some. What about all those thousands of M60 machine guns? I know some are still in use with a modified stock that I don't like, for looks and yes that's petty. Anyway, I wonder where those are and if they still exist somewhere because they were good equipment and would help stock a Kurdish Army to fight the radicals in Iraq and Syria.

Also, hate to see the A10 Warthog go but if it does I have a feeling that Israel and Jordon would love to have some. STOP wasting good stuff, it could still benefit us in other ways is my point.

It's been since 83 since I was in the 24th Infantry Mechanized, since then a lot of weapons and vehicles have been replaced. Now I have heard the Ruskies never scrapped anything, somewhere in old buildings are old T52's and so on. I have wondered what we did with all those M60A1 Patton tanks, do we still use some, did we sell some to other countries or did we scrap them? What about the thousand of M113APC's, same question although we still use some. What about all those thousands of M60 machine guns? I know some are still in use with a modified stock that I don't like, for looks and yes that's petty. Anyway, I wonder where those are and if they still exist somewhere because they were good equipment and would help stock a Kurdish Army to fight the radicals in Iraq and Syria.
Also, hate to see the A10 Warthog go but if it does I have a feeling that Israel and Jordon would love to have some. STOP wasting good stuff, it could still benefit us in other ways is my point.

If they aren't parked in front of a National Guard armory, then they're either being used on AT ranges as targets or given/sold to other countries. M60 tanks haven't been used for a long time. I've seen lots of 113s in the Mideast still making it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many serviceable aircraft get sold/sent to other countries or sent to AMARC next to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ. The others I guess get scrapped or put on a stick in front of VFWs. I would expect quite a few A-10s to move next door from Davis-Monthan to AMARC when the day comes that they get retired.

Edited by monkeylizard

I never saw an M60, but I know the 113 made a bit of a comeback in Iraq.  We sent a few guys to get trained up to drive them as a stopgap between having soft skin and uparmored HMMWV's.

Jordan might want old A10's, but I doubt Israel is too interested since they aren't fighting much armor or open formations these days, and they wouldn't make much money selling the specs of the plane to the Chinese.

M60 tanks scrapped, put on display, some are still even in war reserves around the country while others were sold to third world countries.

M60 MG are the same. The 240 looks almost identical to the m60, so that is what you are probably seeing.

If they aren't parked in front of a National Guard armory, then they're either being used on AT ranges as targets or given/sold to other countries. M60 tanks haven't been used for a long time. I've seen lots of 113s in the Mideast still making it happen.

The M60 Patton tanks I think would still be a useful tank, their sighting was improved, they could help the Kurds, trained of course and maybe some others we can halfway trust in the Middle East. They could augment more modern tanks. 

I never saw an M60, but I know the 113 made a bit of a comeback in Iraq.  We sent a few guys to get trained up to drive them as a stopgap between having soft skin and uparmored HMMWV's.

Jordan might want old A10's, but I doubt Israel is too interested since they aren't fighting much armor or open formations these days, and they wouldn't make much money selling the specs of the plane to the Chinese.

Well the 113's are not that hard to drive, knowing when to make a turn and at what speed takes a little getting used to but it's really simple, at least the A1's back in the 80's were with laterals and automatic gear ranges. Also know how big diameter of a pine tree you can knock down and run over but you will find that out the hard way, and the squad inside will let you know too. There's nothing "soft" inside a 113.   :)

There are still 113s on Campbell. Mostly NG units but people still use em.

The old tanks are decorative or used to lob AT4s and SMAWs at.

M60 is still used in some circles, mostly Navy SOF still use those things. Of course its some Mod 289483 Enhanced 373744 or ridiculous nomenclature.

However...screw the Kurds, wasnt too long ago they were all joining AQAP and killing us too.

Same Enemy Different Name.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

There are still 113s on Campbell. Mostly NG units but people still use em.

The old tanks are decorative or used to lob AT4s and SMAWs at.

M60 is still used in some circles, mostly Navy SOF still use those things. Of course its some Mod 289483 Enhanced 373744 or ridiculous nomenclature.

However...screw the Kurds, wasnt too long ago they were all joining AQAP and killing us too.

Same Enemy Different Name.

Well I have heard from some that the Kurds are broken into different sects and many could be a strong ally, some fight against each other and others are fighting against Turkey which has been wishy washy, putting it nicely. 

For anyone who might say i'm anti-Muslim, I really want to build a Middle East coalition with muslim nations we can work with to fight the more radical Muslims, we need to if there's any hope to slow them down. Reality is we will never completly defeat them though.

I'm always on the quest to see tanks I havnt seen, or seen in a while.

I was in the 24th late 80s into iraq. Never saw anything older than our m1s on Stewart. Did see some jeeps and equipment in a storage area being sold off or scrapped. No armor in sight while I was there, course stewart could hide a army.
  • Like 1

The Marine Corp was still using the M60 during Desert Storm.  I suspect there are probably some still in the inventory.  There is an A10 squadron flying out of Turkey in support of the Kurds and Friendly Syrians, over Syria and Iraq.

Do what? You're gonna have to back that up. If you're referring to Ansar al Sunna, you simply can't lump all Kurds into this category. That's like saying saying everyone from Tennessee is a criminal due to there being some Tennesseans who are criminals. The number of Kurds who support anti-western terrorism is so negligible it shouldn't even be considered.

Do what? You're gonna have to back that up. If you're referring to Ansar al Sunna, you simply can't lump all Kurds into this category. That's like saying saying everyone from Tennessee is a criminal due to there being some Tennesseans who are criminals. The number of Kurds who support anti-western terrorism is so negligible it shouldn't even be considered.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2014/05/al_qaeda_in_kurdista.php

https://web.stanford.edu/group/mappingmilitants/cgi-bin/groups/view/395

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20971100

http://www.trackingterrorism.org/group/kongra-gel-kgk-kurdistan-people%E2%80%99s-congress-pkk

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/08/kurdistan-pyd-syria-jabhat-al-nusra.html

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/09/taliban-call-on-kurds-and-turks-to-join-the-afghan-jihad

http://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/Listedterroristorganisations/Pages/Ansar-alIslam.aspx

Same enemy. Different tribe.

You are confusing tribal allegiance with religious loyalty. Tribes trump everything when it suits them - you should know this given how much experience you have with them.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2014/05/al_qaeda_in_kurdista.php

https://web.stanford.edu/group/mappingmilitants/cgi-bin/groups/view/395

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20971100

http://www.trackingterrorism.org/group/kongra-gel-kgk-kurdistan-people%E2%80%99s-congress-pkk

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2013/08/kurdistan-pyd-syria-jabhat-al-nusra.html

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/09/taliban-call-on-kurds-and-turks-to-join-the-afghan-jihad

http://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/Listedterroristorganisations/Pages/Ansar-alIslam.aspx

Same enemy. Different tribe.

You are confusing tribal allegiance with religious loyalty. Tribes trump everything when it suits them - you should know this given how much experience you have with them.

I'm not confusing anything, and I have a lot of experience with the Kurds. Firstly, the only thing confusing here is your statement about tribal alliance. Yes Kurds fall under the tribal system the same as everyone else over there from Pakistan to Israel, but they have no political loyalty, if that's what you're getting at. Anyone who has spent one day in Kurdistan with actual Kurds would know how they are most strongly associated with political parties, namely the two main ones, which are the PUK and KDP. Both are secular parties, which the overwhelming majority of Kurds in Iraq are aligned with; much like the GOP and Democratic parties. So, with that, I'll need an explanation on what the qualifier is for "Kurds" as it relates to your statement of them going with AQAP. That's like saying all Americans are Christian fundamentalist because a small number of lunatics bomb abortion clinics.

Onto the al Qaeda Kurdish Battalions. There are more Americans fighting in the ranks of ISIS than there are active members of the AQ Kurdish Battalions. So by your definition of "all" Kurds being allied with AQAP, then you must be allied with ISIS. If you don't like the way that sounds, try saying that to a Kurd. I spent a good chunk of the last decade slaying bodies with Kurds, and they hate the Islamists more than you ever could hope to. Kurds aren't Islamists, they are nationalists, and so secular that call to prayer over loudspeakers was outlawed in the large cities when I was there.

I used to live down the street from a Kurdish Communist Party regional office. They had the hammer and sickle flag out and everything. Those offices were all over Kurdistan. The Kurds I talked to about it considered them much of a joke, although they have a significant following in some of the populated areas. Since they are a much larger footprint than all Kurdish Islamist groups combined, and they are atheists, based on your definition of what should qualify as all Kurds, all Kurds must be atheists?

I don't know why you included stories on Kongra Gel/PKK, since they aren't even an Islamic group. They've been waging a terrorist campaign against Turkey for decades in the same way the IRA has against GB. I can't imagine a world where the causes of AQAP and PKK would line up, other than a temporary treaty to focus on a common enemy, but even then, the PKK would be such a distasteful ally to ISIS that the IRA, full of Irish Catholics, would get along better.

Kurds are political more than anything. They want an independent country, and they reject Islamic fundamentalism, and recognize tribal ties in name only. Kurdistan most secular Muslim place I've been, and that is on a long list of Muslim countries.