Goodbye, Phil . . .

Tonight is Phil Fulmer's final game; with 5 minutes left, he is leading. Personally, I like Phil Fulmer; I hate to see him go. Professionally, I think the coach lost his bearings a few years ago and UT sports administration led him astray with the continual "bonuses" and contract renewals.

What are your final thoughts of the Fulmer years?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnmale46
Tonight is Phil Fulmer's final game; with 5 minutes left, he is leading. Personally, I like Phil Fulmer; I hate to see him go. Professionally, I think the coach lost his bearings a few years ago and UT sports administration led him astray with the continual "bonuses" and contract renewals.

x2
Guest Bronker

Well this is a culture of "what have you done for me lately?" Especially in high profile programs like Tennessee, etc. There's no question he has been a great coach at that program. He remains a great coach. The 'fit' between coach and program has grown outdated, and his wacky allegiance to failing coordinators (clawson) cost him his job. I'm not jumping for joy over Kiffin either. Phil will resurface somewhere, and will have great success.

I'm with ya' there Lucky, 'cept I think the bonuses were for puttin up with all the "fan" BS. People can say what they will but, Phil Fulmer is as fine a man and coach there is in college football period! Well, the "know it all, arm chair head coach, fire Fulmer but I can't for the life of me give you one person who could accomplish half what he has but fire him anyways" got there wish they have been so longing for. We are almost a year past the SEC championship game and a new coach on the horizon. I wonder how long it takes before they're ready to run the next coach out on a rail.

Guest nraforlife
.... We are almost a year past the SEC championship game and a new coach on the horizon. I wonder how long it takes before they're ready to run the next coach out on a rail.

Two years. Next year it is a wait and see and honeymoon period. The year after that better win the SEC and make a run for #1.

He's a great man and a great coach. I think the program has slipped over the last several years though. I truely hated to see him go, but I think it was time. I hate to admit that my eyes were a little watery at the end of the game.

I thought ESPN did a good job with Fulmer's leaving till the end when Erin Andrews tried to start interviewing him on the field. It was time to leave him alone with his players and his wife, so he could enjoy his last victory as a Volunteer.

Well this is a culture of "what have you done for me lately?" Especially in high profile programs like Tennessee, etc. There's no question he has been a great coach at that program. He remains a great coach. The 'fit' between coach and program has grown outdated, and his wacky allegiance to failing coordinators (clawson) cost him his job. I'm not jumping for joy over Kiffin either. Phil will resurface somewhere, and will have great success.

Yep.

I didn't watch much of the game due to some other things going on but I did see the end. I think Fulmer is a class act and seems to be a truly good person. Hate to see him go, but also glad to see the new era coming in, in a few years. I'm not holding my breath with Kiffin. I think TN could have done better. I hope he proves me wrong.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I don't really follow UT football, nor have I paid a lot of attention to this Fulmer situation, but from reading what's written here, it sounds very familiar.

I went to NC State University back in Raleigh. While I was there, our basketball coach was a man named Herb Sendek. Now, he coached at NCSU for something like ten years. When he first arrived, he turned the program around, for the first winning record in years. During his last five years, NCSU went to the NCAA tournament every year.

And yet, during those last couple of years, the public opinion was against him. Seemed like ever time he lost a game, the entire student body would want to hang the guy- especially if he lost to our big in-town rivals, Duke and UNC. He just became a hell of a whipping boy.

Finally, in 2006, he got offered another coaching spot and left. I hope he's more appreciated there- I can't say as I blame him for wanting to leave NCSU.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

Fulmer is a great recruiter. He's an effective administrator. He's good for making men out of kids. As a coach, however, few men have squandered more talent or lost more games they should've won.

Fulmer for AD.

Guest tnjimbob

Abominable -

I think the best course for the University is to have a clean break with Fulmer. Hamilton has been charged with forcing a legend to leave, not an easy task for anybody. If Fulmer was allowed to hang around, he would certainly have his hands on football, which, IMHO, would keep the program in terminal mediocrity.

Personally, he's a great man, but as a coach, the game has passed him by. Combined with his micro-managing at least the offense, time has come for him to go.

I hate for him to be forced to leave rather than retire gracefully. Had he voluntarily left around 2002-2003, he would be hailed as a legend @ UT.

I wish he would have stayed forever. Sad to see him go.

Gotta love these Alabama fans coming out of the woodwork.;) When Nick Saban is half the man Phillip Fulmer is come talk to me. To me he sells out to the highest bidder. Phillip lived TN football through the good and bad and had a passion for the program for 35 years. Phillip is a very nice man I had a conversation with him at the UT alumni event in Chattanooga, prior to this season and he was excited about this season. I'm sad to see it didn't turn out the way he wanted it to. I also think it was just time, hell I don't think any coach should do like Joe Paterno and just coach to their grave. Phil metioned he might coach again I think it would be interesting to see him coach again at another school. Sorry to any Alabama fans but Tebow and the gang are coming... Just my 2 cents

If Fulmer had stayed around UT would have come back and been 8-4,or 9-3 every year with a losing season every 4 years and a bowl win maybe every 5 years.Good riddence Fish Lips.

Gotta love these Alabama fans coming out of the woodwork.

Ehh, just razzing you guys.

Besides, I've been out of the woodwork for years!

Phil metioned he might coach again I think it would be interesting to see him coach again at another school. Sorry to any Alabama fans but Tebow and the gang are coming... Just my 2 cents

I've wondered about him at MSU or Clemson...

If Fulmer had stayed around UT would have come back and been 8-4,or 9-3 every year with a losing season every 4 years and a bowl win maybe every 5 years.Good riddence Fish Lips.

+1

In the 90s, UT fans would be thinking, "we have a shot at the title game." Finishing outside the top five was a disappointment. Lately, fans say things like "we may have a chance at winning the east!" And a top 20 finish is considered a successful year.

While I respect him as a decent man, his coaching/recruiting prowess has dwindled over the years. It doesn't take an armchair quarterback to realize something is badly jacked up with two losing seasons in the last four years. Hopefully, UT never hires another former offensive lineman as head coach (or offensive coordinator, for that matter).

Edited by deerslayer

I loved it when Phil took over for Johnny, he had fire and enthusiasm for the job. Over the past few years, he has started to remind me of Johnny before Johnny got gone. Phil hasn't recruited in recent years like in the past. I hate to see him go, but we need someone to fire up the program. I hope that Phil finds his enthusiasm for the game again and coaches some great teams that always lose to UT.

Guest tnjimbob
Yeah I think it would be interesting to see Fulmer coach at MSU playing Tennessee.

I would like to see that too.

Fulmer @ MSU with much less talent than he inherited @ Tennessee would show the SEC that the game has truly passed him by. Allowing him to hang around for 5-7 years past his prime just shows what a grip he had on the university and how UT fans have been blindly loyal to him at the expense of the program. He should not have been given a contract extension after last season due to his mediocre performance in the last few years. Jimmy Sexton must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Fulmer's opportunities are dwindling fast - Clemson named interim HC Swinney as permanent HC. When Bowden was let go, he went quietly and didn't complain at every media opportunity as Fulmer has done.

I am looking forward to what Lane Kiffin brings to UT, especially with his father as DC. Reports of Kiffin already recruiting are encouraging.