Anyone use a wood furnace

Ugly

I've got heat pumps and a fireplaces. Both are less than efficient and I'm thinking about adding an indoor wood furnace. I've got lots of wood available so that is the biggest selling point and adding a wood stove where the fireplace is would be less than easy plus it would leave the rest of the home chilly.

Just wondered if anyone here can offer some experience or advice.

I've looked at the outdoor units with a boiler and they would be great except for the huge price tag.
Thanks! Edited by Ugly

I've got heat pumps and a fireplaces. Both are less than efficient and I'm thinking about adding an indoor wood furnace. I've got lots of wood available so that is the biggest selling point and adding a wood stove where the fireplace is would be less than easy plus it would leave the rest of the home chilly.
Just wondered if anyone here can offer some experience or advice.
I've looked at the outdoor units with a boiler and they would be great except for the huge price tag.
Thanks!

Fireplace insert with blower?

Fireplace insert with blower?

Unfortunately I have a fireplace insert. The only way to add a woodstove is to put it in front of it and pupe it into it. It's a framed fireplace with stone and knotty pine, I'd have to rip down the whole structure to put a regular wood stove.
They work really well if you have a basement. I fabricated and installed one in my basement when I built my log house back in the early 80's.The basement is fully finished, with access to the outside through double doors, instead of hauling wood down stairs. Ties into my duct work for cooling and heating.Only have small electric wall units in bathrooms to knock the chill off if no fire.Have a small gas log fireplace in the living room to knock chill out if no fire. Build a fire and have thermosthat to kick the blower on to force air through duct work.Still cut split and haul wood myself, but will have to look at different source for heat because getting older. Electric bill runs less than $60 a month in the winter time. If power goes off heat still rises through duct and we make it ok. Usually burn less tha 3 cords a year. Edited by owejia

They work really well if you have a basement. I fabricated and installed one in my basement when I built my log house back in the early 80's.The basement is fully finished, with access to the outside through double doors, instead of hauling wood down stairs. Ties into my duct work for cooling and heating.Only have small electric wall units in bathrooms to knock the chill off if no fire.Have a small gas log fireplace in the living room to knock chill out if no fire. Build a fire and have thermosthat to kick the blower on to force air through duct work.Still cut split and haul wood myself, but will have to look at different source for heat because getting older. Electric bill runs less than $60 a month in the winter time. If power goes off heat still rises through duct and we make it ok. Usually burn less tha 3 cords a year.

Good info, easy wood access helps too, I'll be able to tote wood in through the garage on the same level. I can understand about finding another source as we get older. I considered coal for that reason but don't see me finding any out in the woods.

I used a Buck Stove fireplace insert intended for real fireplaces, not the little fireplace inserts most homes have. It was converted to a free standing unit and set up in the basement. It heated the basement and ground floor of a cape cod style house nicely and kept the top floor tolerable. The best thing going for it was it was used and very affordable when purchased. Having been there and done that I'd sooner spend the extra money and go with an outdoor wood heat furnace for heating the house. My reasoning is its a darn sight cleaner, produces more heat and reduces risk of house fires. Should you be determined to go with an indoor unit then the safest, cleanest, most effective set up is going to be a wood pellet stove. You buy the wood pellets by the pallet full at end of season prices. However if your determined to go with a wood burning indoor stove look into one of the soapstone models.

I have an Earth Outdoor wood furnace. Aside from the pain in the rear it was to insulate and run the pex lines in the ground it rocks! Like a hair dryer blowing through the ducts. You got to find the sweet spot in setting the water temp or you will burn more wood than necessary.

Mine is heating water, it's really not to bad. About 2 wheelbarrow loads of wood a day. Unless it is in the single digits.

I've read that getting the adjustments right is the key for less wood use, I just can't afford that expense at this point. It would be ideal though since I'm piped in for radiant heat via water. Of course I'm weighing out the numbers and the fact new EPA rules are changing the design which I've heard are less efficient as well.

I have a outdoor wood furnace, second year using it.
It likes wood!

Are you sure you're not "over filling" it?  We are on the 2nd year of ours and burning about 6 big chucks of wood. We figure out it didn't take much to keep the water hot after we stopped trying to use it like a basement stove.

Are you sure you're not "over filling" it? We are on the 2nd year of ours and burning about 6 big chucks of wood. We figure out it didn't take much to keep the water hot after we stopped trying to use it like a basement stove.

How many square feet are you heating?