Ruger SR45

mhl6493

In his thread about metal guns vs. plastic, striker fired, etc., Steelharp mentioned that he'd love to see a Ruger SR45 in all metal.  I'm actually looking to get a new new nightstand gun, and the SR45 is one that I'm considering.  Unfortunately, it's not one that I read a lot about - evidently not as popular as some.  I'd love to get something relatively inexpensive yet reliable, with a light rail and a relatively high capacity, that can easily have night sights installed on it.  45 is preferable, but 9mm would also be acceptable.  My hands are relatively smallish, so something like a Glock 21 is just too thick.

For those of you who have this gun, what are positives that drew you to it and that continue to make you like it?  Does anyone else use it as a dedicated bedside gun?

Sure wish we were closer. lol I have one with ss slide that I'm going to sell. I just don't shoot it.

I've had no problems with it. I bought it from a local member, shot it a few times, and got pulled into some other shiney things.

It's a comfortable gun. I mean the grip fits me well, and it has a pretty nice trigger on it. Not a match trigger, but I like it. It is one of the softest shooting 45 cal I have ever shot. Surprisingly so with the poly frame.

As for size, I have medium small hands and have no trouble holding it.

Personally, as far as I'm concerned it is the absolute best of Ruger's SR series guns.

Dang if I'm not talking myself into keeping it. lol

I had it in a place in the house for a while, but have gone to revolvers for some of those locations.

My bedside varies with whatever I'm enamored with and shooting at the time. Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
Personally I am not a fan. The first one I ever held I was going to buy until we broke it trying to reassemble it in the store. That was enough to discourage me. If I recall it was with an ejector that had to be pushed in a certain direction for assembly and disassembly. I read of other issues such as the mag release issue, but I don't know if these issues occur more frequently than with other handguns.
  • Like 1
Have you checked out the M&P line? Interchangeable backstraps in 3 sizes so you can choose your fit. Everyone's hand are different, and I know there are some who say the Ruger SRs fit them perfectly. I'm not one of them. I don't like the feel of the ridge on the tips of my fingers on the shooting hand, and in general the guns feels awkward and clunky to me. One of my buddies has an SR45 and I put 5 mags through it awhile back. He loves it and doesn't like my M&Ps. Different strokes for different folks. I felt the like the M&P sits lower and more comfortably in my hand and recoils more straight back. The Ruger felt very top heavy and with a strong rotational twist in the recoil impulse.

The Ruger is cheaper in whatever caliber you choose, so there's that. If contemplating 9mm, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at the Sig P2022. They're usually right netween the M&P and SR series for cost. Another friend of mine just got one in .40 and I think it's probably one of the nicest guns under $500 (besides my beloved M&Ps, haha!) I'll probably have one sooner than later.

That's not at all the info you asked for. Sorry. :-( I can't help myself. Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

Have you checked out the M&P line? Interchangeable backstraps in 3 sizes so you can choose your fit. Everyone's hand are different, and I know there are some who say the Ruger SRs fit them perfectly. I'm not one of them. I don't like the feel of the ridge on the tips of my fingers on the shooting hand, and in general the guns feels awkward and clunky to me. One of my buddies has an SR45 and I put 5 mags through it awhile back. He loves it and doesn't like my M&Ps. Different strokes for different folks. I felt the like the M&P sits lower and more comfortably in my hand and recoils more straight back. The Ruger felt very top heavy and with a strong rotational twist in the recoil impulse.

The Ruger is cheaper in whatever caliber you choose, so there's that. If contemplating 9mm, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at the Sig P2022. They're usually right netween the M&P and SR series for cost. Another friend of mine just got one in .40 and I think it's probably one of the nicest guns under $500 (besides my beloved M&Ps, haha!) I'll probably have one sooner than later.

That's not at all the info you asked for. Sorry. :-( I can't help myself.

Hey, I appreciate the input.  I actually handled a Sig SP2022 at a lgs yesterday, and was impressed.  The price was good, but it had the contrast sights vs. the night sights, and only came with one magazine.  If it had had night sights and one magazine, or the contrast sights with 2 magazines, I probably would have bought it.  It also came in a cardboard box.  I know, what difference does it make, right?  I'm just used to Sigs coming in the nice plastic cases.  Still a gun that is definitely on my radar...

Edited by mhl6493
  • Like 1
I hear you on that Sig2022. I think the M&P 45 is the best of the double stack M&P's and probably the best feeling polymer 45acp made. I have some friends that have carried the 45M&P's at a local police department and have never seen failures. Some of their M&P's supposedly have more than 20k rounds through them.
  • Like 1

Was that 2022 NIB? My friend bought his at Academy for $429, came in a hard plastic case, 2 mags, HOLSTER and interchangeable backstrap. Something doesn't sound right.

It was supposed to be NIB, but it didn't feel right to me either.  From what little I've read since yesterday, it sounds like they used to come in the cardboard until about 2012.  So, it may just be that this is an older model that has just been laying around in some storage room somewhere.  But I'm not taking any chances - especially since the price was just OK, but not great by any stretch.

I actually like the SR45 and have an SR9 already. The SR45 grip feels better to me then the 2nd and 3rd gen G-21's I've owned did. It has good out of the box sights and can be fitted with night sights if wanted. I've test fired one and plan to purchase one in the coming year.

• Like 1

In his thread about metal guns vs. plastic, striker fired, etc., Steelharp mentioned that he'd love to see a Ruger SR45 in all metal.  I'm actually looking to get a new new nightstand gun, and the SR45 is one that I'm considering.  Unfortunately, it's not one that I read a lot about - evidently not as popular as some.  I'd love to get something relatively inexpensive yet reliable, with a light rail and a relatively high capacity, that can easily have night sights installed on it.  45 is preferable, but 9mm would also be acceptable.  My hands are relatively smallish, so something like a Glock 21 is just too thick.

For those of you who have this gun, what are positives that drew you to it and that continue to make you like it?  Does anyone else use it as a dedicated bedside gun?

The SR45 is the only 45 I currently own.  I love it feel.  Its got a nice smooth trigger pull and I found it easier on my wrist then a glock 41.  The SR45 has a very Glock like feel so if you don't like the feel of Glocks you might not be happy with the SR45.  I would see if you can find one to feel the grips.

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1

That's it PRECISELY! I couldn't really explain why I didn't like it, but you hit the nail on the head.

Some of us like the feel of Glocks.  I am one of them.  There seem to be 2 kind of people those with big hands who like Glocks and those with small hands who like Sig Sauer.

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1

mhl6493, my SR45 is the best .45 I've ever owned. It is 1911 slim, with a double stack mag, carries as well as a 1911, and shoots accurately and softly. I have had zero issues with it. If a 1911 feels "right" to you, this is as close as you're going to get in a poly frame .45.

• Like 1

The SR45 is the only 45 I currently own.  I love it feel.  Its got a nice smooth trigger pull and I found it easier on my wrist then a glock 41.  The SR45 has a very Glock like feel so if you don't like the feel of Glocks you might not be happy with the SR45.  I would see if you can find one to feel the grips.

Thanks

Robert

Well If you take a closer look at the Ruger SR9/40/45 platforms alongside their Glock counterparts you'll understand why they have somewhat of a Glock feel to them. While not a total clone they are close enough to be first cousins. Grip angle and dimensions give the Ruger's an agreeable feel. Additionally for all the ballyhooing of M&P superiority over the Glock platform...follow the same line of though I just mentioned above. In the end most folks who become the biggest fan boy's for a particular striker fired pistol are doing so because that particular grip angle feels better to them. Some though are all about the brand name. Me? I retain the right to change my mind.   

• Like 3

Went last night to a lgs just to see what I could see.  Got to hold several, and then saw a Sig p226 Legion.  I had heard and read about them, but had never actually held one.  Onhmy, it felt absolutely perfect in my hand.  I mean, it felt wonderful.  I couldn't care less about all the Legion marketing hype, but that is one fine, fine pistol.  Unfortunately, the price point isn't quite so fine - but really, not considerably more than some 226 models, and you get a lot of very nice upgrades on the gun.

Any of y'all happen to have one of these?  What are your thoughts on it?

Went last night to a lgs just to see what I could see. Got to hold several, and then saw a Sig p226 Legion. I had heard and read about them, but had never actually held one. Onhmy, it felt absolutely perfect in my hand. I mean, it felt wonderful. I couldn't care less about all the Legion marketing hype, but that is one fine, fine pistol. Unfortunately, the price point isn't quite so fine - but really, not considerably more than some 226 models, and you get a lot of very nice upgrades on the gun.

Any of y'all happen to have one of these? What are your thoughts on it?

I hadn't heard of them until I was surfing sigs site the other day. It looks VERY nice. I'd like a p226 in 9mm first, then get a p229in .357sig. I read they will be coming out with much more in the future. I'd love to see a p227 legion.

One thing though, you know a custom gunsmith is big time when the manufacturer uses his parts on their high end custom guns. ( Bruce Gray and GrayGuns) Edited by nightrunner
  • Like 1

Went last night to a lgs just to see what I could see.  Got to hold several, and then saw a Sig p226 Legion.  I had heard and read about them, but had never actually held one.  Onhmy, it felt absolutely perfect in my hand.  I mean, it felt wonderful.  I couldn't care less about all the Legion marketing hype, but that is one fine, fine pistol.  Unfortunately, the price point isn't quite so fine - but really, not considerably more than some 226 models, and you get a lot of very nice upgrades on the gun.

Any of y'all happen to have one of these?  What are your thoughts on it?

LOL.  I just finishing saying there were Glock people and Sig people :).

Thanks

Robert

• Like 1

Don't overlook the FNS-9. It doesn't get a lot of press but you can pick one up new for less than $450. Grip length of a Glock 17 with the barrel of a Glock 19. 17+1 capacity. All the good things about a Glock minus the funky grip angle (my opinion--Glocks are perfect to some eyes).

I have the full size and the compact which i carry daily. Love them both. Between the two, if got thousands of rounds down the pipe without issue.

http://www.fnhusa.com/products/handguns/fns-series/fns-9/

**They have the FNX 45 if you want to stick with a 45. It is on my short list but it's not a inexpensive piece. It is DA/SA. 15+1 of .45 would make one hell of a nightstand gun!

http://www.fnhusa.com/products/handguns/fnx-series/fnx-45-tactical/

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

Don't overlook the FNS-9. It doesn't get a lot of press but you can pick one up new for less than $450.

Not impossible, but that's not much over cost. Shop couldn't keep a light on at that price. It is a great gun. But, the OP was looking for a .45, so that HUGE FNX 45 might be a possibility; if he has really big hands...

• Like 1

Don't overlook the FNS-9. It doesn't get a lot of press but you can pick one up new for less than $450.

I know law enforcement pricing is $428 without night sights. Where have you seen them for that? I think le pricing on the cheapest 45 is close to a grand.