Quickload - Get it!

I have been reloading for quite a while and know the "rules of the road" per se for reloading.  I have been working on load testing my Sako TRG using WC846 as I have 16lbs of it I bought from David.  Most say that WC846 is very similar to BLC2 so I based my starting loads off on the very conservative side of BLC2.

To make a long story short.  I had some signs of pressure on my higher load tests (still well below the BLC2 max), but I wasn't really sure how close (or potentially even over) to max pressure I may have been.  I actually stopped after shooting one round of my highest load as I didn't like the looks of the brass afterwards.  I am glad I did as after figuring out what my pressures were, I was pushing 63,000psi when max pressure in a 308 is 62000 psi.  According to the books, I was supposed to be well below max pressure with what I was loading.

I decided to finally order Quickload and really get down to some specific measurements.  That was how I determined my pressures (I had all measurements, plus velocities to compare to the output in Quickloads).  Needless to say, I have now been able to determine that the specific jug of WC846 I am using loads basically identical to H4895, quite a bit hotter than BLC2.  I don't say this to tell anyone they should use H4895 load data, but simply to re-iterate what most of us already know and that is reloading is not to be taken lightly.  

Moral of the story, if you reload for rifle (even if you have been doing it forever), do yourself a favor and BUY Quickloads.  I don't think I will load another target round without first checking it in Quickloads.  I am mostly looking for the most accurate loads out of any of my rifles, so I do a lot of load testing, but this program makes a huge difference in my confidence in my loads.

I know Mike Gideon has used it for a long time and I had thought about getting it for a long time, but never did.  I can now say "why did I wait so long!"

It isn't super cheap (~$150), but it is worth every penny.  I just wanted to bring it up to those of you who may not know about it as I think everyone should have it if you reload.

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I would like to have a copy of Quikloads, but just can't justify the price.

That was my stance for a long time as well, but after using it, it is worth 3 times that price.  I suppose it may depend on how many calibers you load for, but I feel kind of dumb for not getting it sooner.  I load quite a few different calibers and have already felt like I have my money's worth in just a week.

• Like 1
It is a program that allows you to enter a bunch of variables about a load and it will output case pressure, estimated velocity, and a lot of other data. It allows you to really see the safety of your loads. It is amazing how much small changes in things like OAL, bullet length, and even a small case volume change can change things.

I like that you can "load" a cartridge with different powders and see effects on pressure, velocity, etc. It allows you to see if you have a powder that may work with a caliber if you don't have the powder you normally like to use. It tells you how full the case will be as well as how much of the Powder will burn. It gives overall load efficiency with whatever powder you use.

I used it specifically to help determine what my milsurp powder was most close to in burn rate. For me, it is a great way to verify my loads are safe.

I just can't justify the cost.  I don't really experiment outside published reliable recipes though so never needed to ask "what if".  I think if you work wildcats or non published powders then it may be worth it, but just not for me.

• Like 1

I really could use it for my 6.8 loads (ARP 6.8x43 barrel which is different chamber than even the already non SAAMI certified 6.8 SPCII), but have not justified the cost yet. I've been trying to read brass pressure signs which can be dangerous, and cross referencing with "safe" loads published on the 6.8 forum (starting under and working up). 

I have looked at Quickload and used the demo. Very cool software, maybe will purchase it this year. Always too many things on the list....

I'll be another advocate for Quickload. You can quickly locate pressures and it calculates power factor and many other factors that are handy not just for specialty or comp shooters. Did a lot of load development for the 22 TCM using Quickload as well and it's price is outweighed by the ability of the program ten-fold.

Reading this thread piqued my interest, but some questions come to mind.  Who developed the database for Quickloads, and what parameters did they use to allow the program to extrapolate pressures based on load data?  What technique did they use for measuring pressures, as I know there are different ways to do it, each of which show different pressure readings depending on how the test was administered.  How do chamber variances affect the output data?  I'm having a hard time getting my head around exactly how this program works.

I think there is info on the website about who created it. I know AccurateShooter did a video review of it somewhere with the guy who designed it. I don't know what specific details they used when designing it, but if AccurateShooter recommends it, that is all I need to know. It has been around for a long time. I think the first copy was created around 1989.

They explicitly say it is only a tool, but with valid data, it is very close to actuals.
The guys over at Precision Rifle Podcast did a good interview with the guy who developed Quickload.

As far as his qualifications, he helped develop the cartridge that would become the 338 Lapua Magnum, among other engineering accomplishments.