CZ97B - First Impressions/Review

CommsNBombs

As promised, I made it out to the range this weekend and froze my ass off and got some trigger time for the first time in 2 months. Didn't do too bad at all, and my reloads didn't go boom on me (powder check die FTW!).

If you didn't catch my Steal of the Century - I was able to get a CZ97B and 3 mags for the equivalent of $275 - and contrary to popular belief it wasn't booby trapped, or defective.

Ergonomics - Frame:

- I have decently small hands for a dude, I struggle to have a good grip on my Glock 21 Gen 4 with no back straps, even though it is a double stack, the CZ-97B with wood grips is pretty slim (1.253" vs 1.412" on the Glock 21 Gen 4).

- The grip angle is between a Glock and a Sig - it just points very well and feels great in the hand, along with a very aggressive high beavertail to get up on the bore axis and not worry about slide/hammer bite.

- The trigger guard has a very sleek undercut as to not break your knuckles and the trigger guard itself is spacious to shoot with gloves (I had to, it was 10 degrees with wind chill).

- The weight of the frame is very balanced, for an all-metal gun it does not feel like you are hefting a warhammer.

- The safety and slide lock/release are very big and well pronounced - but not to give your support hand any issues. The safety is easily manipulated with the thumb - but the slide release is a bit to far to reach with your firing hand comfortably, the tip of my thumb can hit it but I can't produced the force to quickly release it; bigger handed shooters will not have this problem.

- The magazine release, I felt it is a bit on the small side, again I have small hands, but it does not protrude far enough to manipulate easily, especially with gloves.

- The slide has standard serrations on the rear, a lot more plentiful and aggressive than a Glock and Sig - so it should not give anyone an issue.

Ergonomics - Trigger:

I am a striker-fired/SAO hammer fired (1911s) guy until I traded for 2 Sigs - and those DA pulls are VERY good. However - the CZ's is better on DA. It is not stagy at all, even given the fact that the hammer can be half-cocked. It has a very beefy (but not nasty looking) smooth faced stainless trigger - and whether you pull with the tip of your finger, or the first knuckle - it fits well and does not slip. I prefer to shoot Single Action, and that break is as crisp as can be. I cannot discern a difference between the SA on a Sig, or CZ - but the CZ has a much more tactile and audible reset than my P220 or P238 do.

Shooting - Feel and Accuracy:

Needless to say, being an all-metal handgun, it absorbs the recoil (what recoil there is) of the .45ACP - it makes follow up shots SO much nicer than say on my Glock 21. Partnered with the high 3-dot night sights my CZ97 has, target acquistion was very easy. The rear sight is adjustable for elevation and it (looks) like the front sight is adjustable for drift/windage. I was shooting 230gr FMJ Blazer, Fiocchi and Winchester White Box and grouping about 2" at 7 yds. Then with my 200gr plated hand loads (Win LPs, 5.7gr Bullseye) I was grouping 1" at 7 yds. I am not the best shot, but the CZ97 makes me seem better than what I am.

Other Features:

There is a small stainless pin that pops up on top of the frame to serve as a loaded chamber indicator, which is very subtle. The grips can be interchanged, and have some sort of springs on the inside to keep the magazine from wobbling around. The feedramp is very polished and steep to assist with chambering. The hammer is skeletonized and serrated - and can be carried in a half-cock position to take a little uptake out of the DA.

I am not the best at reviewing guns - if anyone has any questions or would like to shoot it, just let me know. I will try to get some pictures up when I am able.

• Like 3

I used to have one that the finish was almost a carbonia blue color. Man, that was a great pistol. But, for ten rounds, it was just too big and heavy, for me. Ten rounds come in smaller, lighter packages.

Enjoy it! I know it's a really excellent .45. And at that price... you should be ashamed... lol!

• Like 1

Please don't start raving about how beautiful, accurate and smooth CZ pistols are. CZ's are highly sought-after as it is, and a lot of models don't stay on the market for long, and if you miss your chance, you're back on the waiting list. If you get more people excited about CZ's now, it will just get worse for us!

Keep moving on. Nothing to see here. Just heavy steel pistols, nothing special. Move on. Look there, new Glocks!    :lol:

Just kidding. Glad you're enjoying it! I love my CZ's, and want more. It's the CZ fever! :)  

• Like 3

Do not get me wrong lol, I still love my Glock Family - but there is just some additional sex appeal to an all-metal gun that ISNT a damn 1911 (I have a few of them as well)

I do want to get a CZ75 (or two, or three) in the line up as well. But the wife is VERY particular in looks - last 3 I showed her she gave the proverbial "kill the gladiator" hand signal to lol.

Do not get me wrong lol, I still love my Glock Family - but there is just some additional sex appeal to an all-metal gun that ISNT a damn 1911 (I have a few of them as well)

I do want to get a CZ75 (or two, or three) in the line up as well. But the wife is VERY particular in looks - last 3 I showed her she gave the proverbial "kill the gladiator" hand signal to lol.

I'd say you're a lucky man. When I got home with my Christmas presents (CZ75 and 2075), she picked up the RAMI and said: "Oooh, this one is cute. Can I have it?"   :doh:

• Like 1

I stopped by the Franklin Gun Shop in Brentwood TN and they had a 2075 RAMI. I was impressed with the way it fit my hand and liked it a better, from a fit stand point, than the CZ 75. It's on my going-to-get-it list but at about $600 it's not at the top of my list.

• Like 1
Nice write-up!

I too recently acquired a 97B and I have been pleased with it. I put on the black rubber grips and have been pleased with those. As one to take things to another level, I've just sent it off to CGW for some internals/trigger work and to install their 1911 barrel bushing. Needless to say, I am excited about my 97's return.
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just got the call from CGW that my 97 is coming back to me this week!  

Work performed:

E package including complete internals replacement, hammer, trigger and 1911 barrel bushing

Meprolight night sights

Here she is!  Off to the range tonight....

2rca2qw.jpg

2ah8op2.jpg

Edited by leftyk82
  • Like 1

Can't wait to hear a report!

I won't go over some of the 'known' items that the OP mentioned, save one, the grips.  I had them made by a guy over at CZFirearms forums.  They are black layers of linen fabric in a phenolic resin.

The magic is in the trigger and the accuracy.  With new CGW internals, 85C trigger and new stainless Ring hammer, the DA pull is a 7 lbs 13 ounces and the SA is a very sweet 3 lbs 13 ounces.  SA reset is 2.5 mm.  Barrel bushing is from Wilson Combat and the lockup is extremely tight, in a good way.  Shot over 100 rounds last night with no hiccups using 230 ball and 230 HST defense from Federal.  As far as accuracy, it exceeded my expectations.  Granted, I'm not a NRA bullseye shooter nor do I handload for pistol, but at 15 yards from a standing two-handed position, if I did my part five shot groups were sub-three inches.

All in all, great feeling pistol.  Had that great feel before sending off to CGW but now the trigger and barrel lockup put this black beauty in a different category.  

• Like 1