Any Smith & Wesson M&P Owners out there?

Burboy

I hope you don't need any parts, the customer service is a JOKE. The pistols are great, but they have forgotten great customer service goes along with a good product.

Ok so they will issue a call tag most of the time, repair what ever the heck is wrong with the firearm in question, and return it to you on their dime and their customer service sucks. Dang dude I need to introduce you to the customer service at some alarm manufactuing companies.:P They give you a warranty starting on the day it was born for 3 years, not the day it was installed, and don't send it back 2 days after the warranty expires.

Give it a rest, if you don't want Smith to fix your gun fine, but don't bitch about their customer service.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll address Customer Service.

I have owned Smith & Wesson handguns for over thirty years; easily over a hundred of them. I have only had to send one back to the factory. I have called them about problems or just to discuss concerns about my guns many times.

When I heard things like “The lever on the M&P is a Slide lock not a slide release.†Or “Smith & Wesson told me you can’t hurt their handguns dry firing them.†I would call them to get the straight scoop. We have sat and discussed issues in detail and they could not have been any more helpful.

When I get into discussions with friends and co-workers about customer service; I always bring up Smith & Wesson. They are the way things should be. You won’t see any gun manufacturer have anywhere near the positive comments that Smith & Wesson has.

Some parts they won’t sell you because they have to be fitted by a gun smith. I know that side cover plates for revolvers are this way. I recently needed a trigger group for a Mossberg rifle; Mossberg wouldn’t sell it to me. I assume it’s a liability issue. However… we don’t know why they wouldn’t sell you a part because you didn’t offer any explanation.

Almost all my handguns are Smith & Wesson. Quality is a big concern for me, but so is the fact that they are made in America by Americans and should I need customer service I am sure they will do all they can to help.

• Administrator

The original poster is getting about as much sympathy over on the MP-Pistol forum also.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=17882&hl=

They offer most every other part in the sear housing for sale, I truely believe this is a way to capture more business for their performance center. As for the reason I was asking for another one, I had over done a trigger job on one of my M&P's, I have since repaired the orginal sear and have begun to use it, but would like to have a spare. I also work in the manufacturing industry, there isn't one part on any of my products that you can't buy, now if you can't install it correctly or program it to work, thats your problem, but you can buy all of the parts you want. Its just all about their freedom to restrict the sale and my freedom to want to purchase.

kcevans -- I understand you are upset.

However, first, you performed an unauthorized modification to your gun. It's not S&W's responsibility to cover your butt if you go mucking around with the innards.

Second, S&W made the decision to stop selling sears before the PC sear was available. In fact, they did it in large part to dissuade people from mucking around with the innards of the gun.

Third, while you may dislike their policy, there is nothing illegal or unethical about it. As mentioned, it is standard in this industry and others. You do not have a right to buy spare parts. Heck, some gun companies won't sell you any parts unless you're a certified armorer, and even then there are still some components which aren't available.

If you'd simply come on and said you were mad, hey, no problem we're all sympathetic. But trying to get S&W into hot water is just spiteful and will hurt all of us in the long run.

I hope you don't need any parts, the customer service is a JOKE. The pistols are great, but they have forgotten great customer service goes along with a good product.

I give their customer service an A+. Very good to deal with. Took care of problem with no cost to me.

• Administrator

Back to the issue at hand...

I had problems with my M&P 9C. Sent it back to them twice. They made it right, paid for shipping both ways and the service work was completed in under a week each time.

I had a problem with my first M&P 40's mag release. Called them, talked to them, they mailed me a revised mag catch and that fixed the problem. I had that part in my hand in under a week and it was free of charge.

I've called to order common parts (grip panels, mags, etc.) and every time they were super helpful, super friendly and the parts arrived quickly. To be short, I have never had a problem with them and I too have used Smith & Wesson's customer service anecdotaly as an example of what good customer service is like.

If they have drawn the line at not selling the individual sear block, there must be a reason. As ToddG mused over on MP-Pistol.com, the reason is probably because they don't want you dicking around with the sear, producing an unreliable and/or unsafe weapon. They do sell those parts to gunsmiths and I think you might even be able to find them through Brownells.

Pissing and moaning about it on at least two different forums that I'm aware of now comes across as nothing more than just a grown man throwing a temper tantrum. Grow up. :rolleyes:

With regard to the original question, I have put almost six thousand trouble free rounds through my M&P 9 this year. I have yet to find fault with the gun. The lack of available parts, however, is the only downside to the M&P platform. Like it or not, Glock is the industry standard against which other handguns are judged. Even though many of the parts may not be availbale directly from Glock, they are available. That availability is due to Glock selling them to various venders. Smith has not been as forthcoming. For the casual weekend shooter, parts availability may not be an issue. For a dedicated shooter whe goes through many thousands of rounds a year, the availabilty of parts and the ability to keep your gun up and running should something happen is comforting.

• Administrator
With regard to the original question, I have put almost six thousand trouble free rounds through my M&P 9 this year. I have yet to find fault with the gun. The lack of available parts, however, is the only downside to the M&P platform. Like it or not, Glock is the industry standard against which other handguns are judged. Even though many of the parts may not be availbale directly from Glock, they are available. That availability is due to Glock selling them to various venders. Smith has not been as forthcoming. For the casual weekend shooter, parts availability may not be an issue. For a dedicated shooter whe goes through many thousands of rounds a year, the availabilty of parts and the ability to keep your gun up and running should something happen is comforting.

You need to keep it in perspective and realize that Glock's platform has been available since the 1980s and that the M&P platform has been available since 2005. The Glock aftermarket has had 25 years or so to proliferate. The M&P aftermarket will catch up.

• Administrator

After owning two XD9's and a G19 among others I settled on the M&P9. the XDs are awesome bust just too blocky for carry and I never felt confident in carrying the G19 (thanks Mars). I really wanted a Walther P99 9mm QA, but good luck with finding one of those. The M&P was kinda of the default choice and I'm starting to be really glad it all worked out that way. I am appreciating more and more ever time i look at it and find more features I really like. I can't wait to get out and actually shoot it!

Well, the deed is done.

I should have my very own M&P 9FS any day now. Found one like new on GunBroker with 4 mags for a great price.

All of the responses were very helpful. I had been thinking of getting one for a while and been down to Franklin Gun to handle one and see what I thought. You guys settled it for me.

Thanks to all. Let's go shoot!