72 years ago today, in Italy.

Will Carry

The Germans counter attacked our beach head at Anzio, Italy with the intention of driving us back into the sea. The fighting was brutal hand to hand.  The German attack looked like it would reach the sea when the US Navy stepped in and created a rain of steel from their big guns. The German attack was broken. The US Navy did the same thing previously at Salerno and Gila. They would do it again at Normandy. 

a2242e48ec735f825897de32ddc100bd.jpg

• Like 2
Thanks for posting this bit of history! Many people sacrificed so much for the betterment of others. Let us not forget our history. Especially at a time when we have those in our land trying to rewrite it!
The time when leaders were united and decisive to fight for a righteous cause with the idea of bringing tyranny to an end seem to be over. WWII seems to be the last time we had balls and the will to prevail.
God bless America and God help us!
  • Like 4

I'm grateful to all who have served in our military.  The soldiers I know are some of the best and brightest people I know.

There is much incorrect information about The US and WWII.  The US didn't want to get involved.  Congress passed several 'Neutrality Acts' between 1935 and 1939 to keep us from getting involved.  

As best I remember, Roosevelt knew that we would have to get involved and wanted to do so sooner rather than later.  There are plenty of historians who believe he knew about Pearl Harbor beforehand and allowed it to occur so he would have support needed to join the war.  His motive wasn't bad - he felt that it would be worse for the US to wait before getting involved.

Many great Americans lost their lives in WWII.  

As it turns out, Russia is far and away the driving force that defeated the Nazis and The US was the driving force in defeating the Japanese.  The Japanese were significantly less powerful militarily than the Nazis. The Italians weren't much of a force at all.

80% of Nazi soldiers, with corresponding equipment, died at the hands of the Russians.

I have no use whatever for Stalin, the communists and the leaders of The Soviet Union.  I have tremendous respect and appreciation for the every day people fighting on the eastern front that defeated the Nazi's.

In no way is my post meant as a slap to The US and our soldiers.  Also, people should know the truth.

^^^^^ the more I research the Pacific front, I'm sometimes let down by who were my heroes. Being of Filipino decent, Gen. McArthur used to be one of my heroes, I still look at him in high regard, but he too had political and personality mistakes that led to bad decisions which affected the boots on ground.
  • Like 1

^^^^^ the more I research the Pacific front, I'm sometimes let down by who were my heroes. Being of Filipino decent, Gen. McArthur used to be one of my heroes, I still look at him in high regard, but he too had political and personality mistakes that led to bad decisions which affected the boots on ground.

My father, as an 18 year old US Army rifleman, spent six weeks fighting the Battle of Manila. He never spoke much about it but he had nightmares the rest of his life. One thing he did say was that the Philippians were tough fighters.  He said "They were the toughest SOBs he has ever seen."

The Japanese did bad things in Manila. Unspeakable things.

Will Carry,

What you said makes a lot of sense. Hitler got all of the attention because of the Holocaust, but the Japs did awful, awful things like bayonetting pregnant women in the stomach.

That's the sort of thing all these anti war types need to be educated about. Some people just need killing.
  • Like 1