Shark catch of the day!

willis68

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Asians on board had it fileted 20 minutes after the photos were taken, The tygon tubing on the Submarines have oil running through them and when illuminated by lights, they appear as eels to Sharks, so he followed the sub knocking it around for over an hour and when he went for the tygon he got stuck in the frame, not sure what kind of shark but he was 6 feet 5 inchs and weighed slightly over 300LBS :)

The Asians on board had it fileted 20 minutes after the photos were taken, The tygon tubing on the Submarines have oil running through them and when illuminated by lights, they appear as eels to Sharks, so he followed the sub knocking it around for over an hour and when he went for the tygon he got stuck in the frame :)

Damn, I'm jealous! Sharks are great eating!

That's no Mako..mako sharks are built for speed and are epipelagic. that is a WHITE shark. there's no mistaking that head and barrel shape.

also notice the large muscles on each side of the caudal fin (tail). made for long range cruising. that one is a baby!! I'll bet not more than a year or so old!

I knew they went deep but I didn't think they went THAT deep!!

Edit: The more I look at the teeth, the more I think that it's neither a mako or a white shark... whites have teeth made for cutting, and makos and their ilk have teeth for catching and holding....those look more like the catch and hold kind of teeth.

perhaps a zambezi?:):) need better pics of the teeth. :clap:

Edited by towerclimber37
But no ones asked the question...

Is the tubing ok? :D

After 6 hours of repair and 10K worth of equipment (my Companies Money) all was back in order, whenever 300lbs hangs on the sub during recovery there is hell to pay, so we all ate the thing with smiles on our faces :D

That's no Mako..mako sharks are built for speed and are epipelagic. that is a WHITE shark. there's no mistaking that head and barrel shape.

also notice the large muscles on each side of the caudal fin (tail). made for long range cruising. that one is a baby!! I'll bet not more than a year or so old!

I knew they went deep but I didn't think they went THAT deep!!

Edit: The more I look at the teeth, the more I think that it's neither a mako or a white shark... whites have teeth made for cutting, and makos and their ilk have teeth for catching and holding....those look more like the catch and hold kind of teeth.

perhaps a zambezi?:D:D need better pics of the teeth. :)

Generally we NEVER see sharks after around 2100fsw, this was a very strange incedent to say the least

So, I gotta ask. WHAT exactly is it that you do, willis? Salvage?

Remotly Operated Vehicle (ROV) Supervisor, Pilot

Salvage, investigation, oilfield investigation, Construction, finding oil resoviors in up to 12k fsw (Feet sea water), everything that is too deep for a Saturation Diver to do, we work with them as well, operating hydraulic tooling with the ROV, if you ever watch the Discovery Channel periodiocally they have segments dealing with ROV's it is a submarine about the size of a fullsize car with several High defination cameras, sonar, Robotic manipulators that can emulate someone physically working at the deepest depths of the ocean, it is all controlled topside, via a fiber optic umbilical, so on my end it is like playing an extremely expensive video game

Edited by willis68
is there a reason that you don't paint those lines so that they wouldn't be such a target for the sharks?

or does this sort of thing not happen often enough to do that?

That was an extremely rare event, I have been doing this for about 8 years now and that is the first time I have seen this, but in all honesty sharks, Tuna, squid, octopus and on occasion whales all see submersable vehicles as potential food sources