Public Chapter No 866, signed May 18, 2014 section 2 states -

Yeah, that would've been nice to know!

I still wonder why it costs so much. Pa is $25. Does Tn have to hire union govt civilians to run the background check or?

How hard can it be to run someone's name and prints through the system, don't they do it if you are arrested? Seems to me like honest people paying the bills, as usual.

I still wonder why it costs so much. Pa is $25. Does Tn have to hire union govt civilians to run the background check or?

How hard can it be to run someone's name and prints through the system, don't they do it if you are arrested? Seems to me like honest people paying the bills, as usual.

I hold a security clearance, cleared through all the alphabet agencies, a couple of key strokes could have verified me.  I doubt it's all expenses and fees.

• Like 2

The logic is that they want to make the process rigorous enough to maintain reciprocity agreements.  Complete BS, but that is the way it is presented to the legislature.  

• 2 weeks later...
Just did my application with a DD-214. You have to pay the background check fee ($72) only. The permit is good for 4 years. The 4 year permit is the only option you have unless you want to pay the normal rate for a lifetime or the other options. I don't think you have to pay renewal unless they do another background check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did my application with a DD-214. You have to pay the background check fee ($72) only. The permit is good for 4 years. The 4 year permit is the only option you have unless you want to pay the normal rate for a lifetime or the other options. I don't think you have to pay renewal unless they do another background check.

TN does background check every 4 years currently, even with the HCP duration transitioning to 5 year period to coincide with DL (which it can't now, since DL is changing to 8 years!)

- OS

TN does background check every 4 years currently, even with the HCP duration transitioning to 5 year period to coincide with DL (which it can't now, since DL is changing to 8 years!)

- OS

Ah ok. So do they automatically run you every 4 years with a lifetime permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ok. So do they automatically run you every 4 years with a lifetime permit?

Actually, forgot, it's now every 5 years, now that the 5 year renewal cycle has been phased in. The five years also satisfies the Brady Bill requirement for the HCP to serve in lieu of the NICS check for firearm purchase, should TN ever actually enact that.

From the new 39-17-1351, that just took effect 1/1/16:

"A lifetime handgun carry permit shall not expire and shall continue to be valid for the life of the permit holder unless the permit holder no longer meets the requirements of this section. A lifetime handgun carry permit shall not be subject to renewal; provided, however, that every five (5) years after issuance of the lifetime handgun carry permit, the department shall conduct a criminal history record check in the same manner as required for handgun carry permit renewals. Upon discovery that a lifetime handgun carry permit holder no longer satisfies the requirements of this section, the department shall suspend or revoke the permit pursuant to § 39-17-1352."

- OS

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, forgot, it's now every 5 years, now that the 5 year renewal cycle has been phased in. The five years also satisfies the Brady Bill requirement for the HCP to serve in lieu of the NICS check for firearm purchase, should TN ever actually enact that.

From the new 39-17-1351, that just took effect 1/1/16:

"A lifetime handgun carry permit shall not expire and shall continue to be valid for the life of the permit holder unless the permit holder no longer meets the requirements of this section. A lifetime handgun carry permit shall not be subject to renewal; provided, however, that every five (5) years after issuance of the lifetime handgun carry permit, the department shall conduct a criminal history record check in the same manner as required for handgun carry permit renewals. Upon discovery that a lifetime handgun carry permit holder no longer satisfies the requirements of this section, the department shall suspend or revoke the permit pursuant to § 39-17-1352."

- OS

If you have a lifetime permit and move out of TN, is it invalid?

If you have a lifetime permit and move out of TN, is it invalid?

There's a good question. I couldn't say for sure. Situation not exactly mentioned in 39-17-1351. Except that all handgun permits are for "residents" of TN, and that is probably considered one of the requirements you must meet to receive or keep any permit.

However, other states have requirements regarding their own residents, which usually means getting a permit in your state of residence within a certain time period, just like here. Meaning, you wouldn't be able to use it indefinitely in most, if any, another state of which you became a resident.

Some other states also require that you have a "resident permit" from TN, meaning that you are a resident of the state I guess, since we don't have a "non-resident" one, even though they are sometimes given out to residents of neighboring states for folks who work here the required amount of time, so I guess they technically wouldn't be covered in those states with a TN permit.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot