Old S&W pistol looking for info

TripleGGG

• Moderators
Nothing on barrel. Nothing on the top strap. Funny thing is that is not the cylinder release in the 3rd photo. Cannot figure out what is going on with that. Cylinder releases with pin. Only info is on the cylinder and the serial number on the butt. Edited by ggwilde

I don't know what it is, but it ain't a Smith & Wesson. 

Quite possibly one of the many Spanish copies of S&Ws made in the early 20th century. They were intentionally made to look almost like a real S&W to fool unsuspecting buyers. S&W ended up suing the makers of these guns and won. 

I would need a clear, close up pic of the grip emblem and cylinder markings to make a better guess. 

Quality of these guns was dubious at best.

I don't know what it is, but it ain't a Smith & Wesson. 

Quite possibly one of the many Spanish copies of S&Ws made in the early 20th century. They were intentionally made to look almost like a real S&W to fool unsuspecting buyers. S&W ended up suing the makers of these guns and won. 

I would need a clear, close up pic of the grip emblem and cylinder markings to make a better guess. 

Quality of these guns was dubious at best.

What makes you think it isn't an 1896 S&W? I believe it is.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

What makes you think it isn't an 1896 S&W? I believe it is.

It is a 1896 S&W. Had a S&W specialty guy look at it and it was made in last 3 months of 1899 or first 3 of 1900. All markings verified and certified. It is also now resting nicely in my safe.
  • Like 1

Well I won't say I'm above being wrong. Lord knows that I make a habit of it.  :foot:

There's just several things that didn't look quite right to me. Most notably the ejector rod, but also the hammer, front sight and the grip logo. There aren't any pics of the right side. Is there a S&W logo on it? You said the only markings were on the cylinder. 

With only a few pics to go by, I made my best guess. 

If your guy says its a S&W, that's good enough. The first thing you learn about S&W is that anything is possible. 

My apologizes and enjoy it. 

I don't know about those grips either.   But the thing is ~120 years old ... who knows what could have happened in that time, its not uncommon to replace a few parts along the way.   The hammer and sights match the auction pic.  The ejector is a little different I don't know anything about this model and variations. The logo wouldn't be in these pics, its other side of the frame ...  should be a trace of it unless they didn't stamp the layman's models or something?  No idea.

It looks to be in great shape & is quite a nice find, congrats!

• Moderators
Thanks. The grips are not original. The pictures posted do not show well at all. S&W guy pointed out several things I would have missed. But since I wasn't born until 65 years after gun was made I can probably live with myself having not known those details. Lol. Now off to get details on a Colt made in 1932 that I picked up at the same time as the Smith. Sometimes a gamble pays off. Good day.

Well I won't say I'm above being wrong. Lord knows that I make a habit of it.  :foot:

There's just several things that didn't look quite right to me. Most notably the ejector rod, but also the hammer, front sight and the grip logo. There aren't any pics of the right side. Is there a S&W logo on it? You said the only markings were on the cylinder. 

With only a few pics to go by, I made my best guess. 

If your guy says its a S&W, that's good enough. The first thing you learn about S&W is that anything is possible. 

My apologizes and enjoy it. 

The side emblem didn't come along until a bit later. I'm not sure about the grips. THis is a bit of a different animal than the later hand ejector models we're used to seeing.

• Moderators

How are the grips not original? What else did your guy point out? I do question the ejector rod but the Standard Catalog notes that two styles were used.

That should have said the grips ARE original. Me or auto correct messed that up. Also he said the side emblem came a little later. I didn't know that. Ejector rod was different at that time also. I love learning the history of these old guns.
  • Like 1