steel or aluminum framed 1911?

Guest CK1

while i've shot many many many different 1911's, i think i've only shot aluminum/alloy framed ones a few times and didn't spend enough time with them to really feel or experience any benefits...

that being said, i spend a lot of time on mountain bikes, mostly rigid single-speeds in particular,

what the hell does that have to do with 1911's you ask?

maybe nothing... but on bikes, an aluminum framed one will be much lighter, but will also ride more harsh and not handle bumps and drops as comfortably, steel on the other hand, while heavier, smooths out the ride quite a bit and generally has a better "feel" that fights off vibrations that can lead to early fatigue...

should i be thinking the same in 1911's? the aluminum frame model of the gun i want is 5 ounces lighter (over a 1/4lb) than the steel model, yet if it has much more felt recoil and isn't as nice to shoot, then the heavier weight wouldn't bother me, and i should go with steel.

anyone with experience? ideas? thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the next question is... are you wanting the 1911 to be a range-gun, something you'll shoot a couple hundred rounds at a time with? Or do you want it to be a carry gun that you will rarely shoot more than a few rounds with?

If carry, I'd say go aluminum, as a little felt recoil will probably not even factor into the equation with all the adrenaline that will be pumping through you if you have to actually use it.

If range gun, get the steel frame, duh! I love a nice, heavy .45 blasting holes in paper!

If both.... screw everything I just said, I guess!

What say you other guys? I'm no expert, and I didn't sleep much at all last night, much less at a Holiday Inn Expess.

Guest TnDeerHunter

I have both while the alloy is nice to carry you do have more recoil while shooting at the range. More weight less recoil you decide or you could be like me and use both excuesses to the wife for a good reason to purchase both. You know like they use (If I get a new dress I have to have new shoes, pocket book etc.)

I have a Kimber Pro Carry in the aluminum alloy, and while it's been a good gun, I'd go with steel.

I've seen alot of stress cracks, problems with the grip screw bushings stripping the threads, and general frame issues.

Steel is just a better fit for a 1911 frame and the weight difference is not that much of an issue.

Guest flyfishtn

CK1, you must be a cyclist the way you reference materials on bike frames. I am and understand what you are referring to.

I will say this, I only one 1911 now and it is a steel frame SA TRP and the weight is immaterial when carried IWB or on a slide. I would prefer less felt recoil as I can control the gun more and follow-up shots are more accurate IMO.

Will be an interesting thread to follow.

• Administrator

I've owned both. The reputable vendors will cover any cracks or such that might occur with aluminum, but keep in mind that not all alloys are created the same. There are some alloys being used by certain manufacturers that have tensile strength approaching or exceeding the steels used by other manufacturers. It's seriously not an apples to apples comparison and becomes all the more confusing when you take that into consideration. ;)

I'd recommend picking the one that you like the most and then researching it online to make sure that the vendor has a strong reputation of delivering warranty service throughout the life of the firearm.

Alloy frames get peened feed ramps which make for less than reliable feeding later in life, sooo, you might want to consider a ramped barrel alloy frame if it is to be your only 1911.

Alloy for carry, steel for shooting. Or a S&W Scandium gun.

One of the 4" or 4.25" steel framed guns is a decent compromise.

Guest jackdog

I prefer steel, weight difference does seem to bother me at all. Matter a fact I've switched from carrying a glock 23 to a CZ75b. If Shannon can read this he can't believe I said it.

I agree with grimel on this. I have had several Kimber Pro Carry's and I had problems with the feed ramps getting beat up and causing feeding problems. Never had that issue with steel guns or guns with ramped barrels....well, I have had feeding problems with somej just not that feeding problem. With that being said, if I were looking for the lightest toughest 45 for cycling, I might have to consider a Glock 30 or 36....I know, this is a 1911 thread.

I agree with grimel on this. I have had several Kimber Pro Carry's and I had problems with the feed ramps getting beat up and causing feeding problems. Never had that issue with steel guns or guns with ramped barrels....well, I have had feeding problems with somej just not that feeding problem. With that being said, if I were looking for the lightest toughest 45 for cycling, I might have to consider a Glock 30 or 36....I know, this is a 1911 thread.

One of the reasons alloy feed ramps get beat up is that certain magazine followers are not supposed to be used with alloy frame 1911s. My Kimber Compact CDP came with this style follower. One of the many gripes I have with Kimber quality control. Here's a related thread on 1911forum:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=61318

Edited by deerslayer