Holster hunting….need help/opinions/experience

Guest Boomhower

Guest Boomhower

I want to carry IWB. IWB coupled with the brand of gun I'm carrying makes it rather difficult to find what I'm looking for. However, most sites state to ask them about your model of choice to see if they can acquire the mold, so for that, I feel a little more comfortable with finding what I want. I want something as close to my side as possible. When I'm looking at holsters on line, I really can't tell how most of them are stitched together. Please feel free to break down my post and be specific to each type of holster listed.

First off, a couple of questions:

1) I'm assuming that "pancake" means there is equal amount of material on both sides of the sidearm, or that the stitching is made along the center line of the sidearm rather than the sidearm protruding to one side or the other.

2) Do you really need a thumb break or retention release device to secure your sidearm in the holster?

The most appealing to me:

Comptac-CTAC

ctac_ani.gif

http://www.miltsparks.com/ versa max 2

VM-2_small.jpg

K&D-Cochise Defender & Dakota Defender

cochise-brown-bg-2-ss.jpg

dakota-defender-1-bg-s.jpg

Crossbreed-SuperTuck Deluxe

yhst-78414283005952_1941_2871602

All of these are adjustable and either come standard with the Kydex clips or as an option. I’m not big into the leather belt loops, and would rather have the clips for concealment purposes. The only thing that’s a draw back for me is the Kydex holsters. How much noise does this material make when holstering? If it sounds like what I think it does, I believe I’d rather go with leather.

Others in consideration:

AIWB

aiwb-300.jpg

Don Hume-IWB STRIKE : Holster Tuckable

DH-IWBStrikeTuckable_small.gif

http://nyironworks.stores.yahoo.net/galnsaiwbhol.html

NSA-ol.jpg

My concerns with these holsters are that one clip won't be sufficiant enough to carry the weight of a sidearm comfortablly.

And one more Bianchi-Evader. If I absoutly needed a retention device, I would like to go for Bianchi’s FingerLok retention device.

4584_l.jpg

The OWB Galco I currently have, has a release snap that straps over the rear of the sidearm and I really don’t like it. Nor do I think I would like a thumb break that you have to push outwards from the sidearm to draw.

Light it up guys. Give me any and all feedback you can. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I'm assuming that "pancake" means there is equal amount of material on both sides of the sidearm, or that the stitching is made along the center line of the sidearm rather than the sidearm protruding to one side or the other.

2) Do you really need a thumb break or retention release device to secure your sidearm in the holster?

This has the makings of a lively thread. I'm interested to see what everyone has to say. Quick answers to your questions:

1) Not necessarily. "Pancake" seems to describe a general style rather than a specific method of construction.

2) I would say "no" although I'm sure there are many who would argue otherwise. My argument goes like this: For IWB,a well-constructed holster designed for a specific weapon should not need a thumb break for security. However, many people want the extra piece of mind that comes with the perceived extra layer of safety. I might be biased since I can never get the hang of releasing the dang things and therefore it slows my draw ALOT.

I'm slow enough as it is! :rolleyes:

I want to carry IWB.

1. A Pancake is generally an OWB holster not an IWB.

2. Depends on your personal preference and experience. I wouldn’t carry without a thumb break. But it is for the same reason I want a magazine disconnect; I have seen good guys and bad guys of all experience levels lose control of a weapon on the street.

Well I hate anything that limits me to wearing a belt just to carry a gun. If you want to get one for a belt, fine, but I would also have a nice paddle holster such as a Fobus or Comp-Tac for times you don't necessarially need to wear a belt.

Guest triggertime

1) A 'pancake' holster generally refers to the style of an OWB (outside waist band) holster which is usually two pieces of identical leather stitched together and the belt slots are cut out on either side of the firearm.

2) I would not recommend a thumb break on a concealed carry holster. It is not needed and adds another unnecessary step to your draw. Not only that, but it really complicates reholstering. A good leather IWB (inside the waistband) holster is a better choice in terms of retention. Kydex IWB holsters do not offer the same level of retention as leather IWB holsters due to the 'slick' property of kydex. Remember, belt pressure plays an important role on retention when you wear an IWB holster. If you are concerned about speed of draw, buy a kydex IWB holster. If you are more concerned about retention, buy a leather IWB holster. I really recommend buying a IWB holster with a 'sweat guard' to prevent your undershirt (or love handles) from entering the mouth of your holster after the gun has been drawn, which presents to opportunity for an unintentional discharge upon reholstering.

Guest Phantom6

triggertime wrote: I really recommend buying a IWB holster with a 'sweat guard' to prevent your undershirt (or love handles) from entering the mouth of your holster after the gun has been drawn, which presents to opportunity for an unintentional discharge upon reholstering.

I don't have love handles. I have love rests. That eliminates the problem of love handles slipping into the mouth of the holster.

On a more serious side, I wouldn't carry a holster without some sort of retention device. Not necessarily a thumb break but a retention system of some sort. For my OWB leather rig I prefer the carry-lok system developed by Bianchi. For IWB I think it would have to be a fitted holster that closes tightly around the trigger guard. As far as speed is concerned that comes with practice. Don't expect to rise to the occasion when speed is needed. The best you can expect is to sink to the level of your training so practice, practice, practice... and take our Personal Protection classes of course:)

Guest Boomhower
I have the CTAC and recently got my K&D Dakota Defender. Get the Dakota! Unbelievably good holster. I thought the CTAC was great, but the Dakota is that much better. here are a couple of threads comparing the CTAC, Crossbreed, and th Dakota. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32489&highlight=Dakota+Defender

Thanks for the link. Very helpful read....

Well I hate anything that limits me to wearing a belt just to carry a gun. If you want to get one for a belt, fine, but I would also have a nice paddle holster such as a Fobus or Comp-Tac for times you don't necessarially need to wear a belt.

I really know zilch about either. I just think that for me, and conceal purposes, I'd like to go IWB. However, one of my concerns with a paddle holster would be the weight of the sidearm. Which for mine is somewhere around 30oz. Wouldn't a paddle holster pull your pants down without a belt?

For my OWB leather rig I prefer the carry-lok system developed by Bianchi.

That's what turned me onto the Bianchi's. The locking system they have and seeing yours and dotsun's in person. Unfortunatly, I haven't found any type of IWB made by them for my sidearm. But I haven't contacted them to see if they could get the mold either.

Don't expect to rise to the occasion when speed is needed. The best you can expect is to sink to the level of your training so practice, practice, practice... and take our Personal Protection classes of course:)

Now that's a salesman for ya.:rolleyes:.......and I do plan to practice, but I have to purchase first.

I really know zilch about either. I just think that for me, and conceal purposes, I'd like to go IWB. However, one of my concerns with a paddle holster would be the weight of the sidearm. Which for mine is somewhere around 30oz. Wouldn't a paddle holster pull your pants down without a belt?

My Glock 36 weighs about 27 oz, and I can wear it around with swim trunks relying only on the tie around the waist without any problems. I am 6'1 185. I also wear it with jeans and no belt.

Reef: Not to derail topic, but do you use an IWB for the g36? I'm trying to locate one for mine.

the g36 has quickly replaced my taurus .357 snub and SA XD9SC as primary CCW. I just need to find a leather IWB holster for less than $50. I like the looks of the ones Boomhower is considering.

Guest Boomhower
My Glock 36 weighs about 27 oz, and I can wear it around with swim trunks relying only on the tie around the waist without any problems. I am 6'1 185. I also wear it with jeans and no belt.

Sweet!! Will definetly have to check into one of those as well. I think it was Tungsten that suggested that type of holster (1 clip or paddle, I'm not sure) for quick trips out of the house and back. I like that idea as well.

Reef: Not to derail topic, but do you use an IWB for the g36? I'm trying to locate one for mine.

the g36 has quickly replaced my taurus .357 snub and SA XD9SC as primary CCW. I just need to find a leather IWB holster for less than $50. I like the looks of the ones Boomhower is considering.

Nah, it's a Fobus paddle.

Guest rockytop

This sounds like you need to check out the IWB leather holster from Don Hume Leatherworks. It is available open top or with a thumb-break and with a metal clip or leather snaps for attachment to belt. And it retails for $28-$34 depending on which style you choose. I like the open top holster with the metal clip attachment. It's real convenient for easy-on and easy-off use, but still well secured. It's a good quality rig for the money. Good luck.

I have my XD9 in this cheap piece from Uncle Mike's:

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=1606299&catky=3407251&subcatky1=4548802&subcatky2=2000017

It's not the greatest by far but its working well enough to hole me over until I find something better. I picked it up for $12 at gander mtn.

Think I'm gonna give owb a shot and see if it will be feasible before I spend some real money on a nice IWB.

Guest Boomhower

Well I'm seriously looking at the Cochise Defender from K&D....

http://www.kdholsters.com/basefile/iwb-defend.html

It can be worn IWB or OWB.....Scroll to the bottom of the page linked and you can view the Mini-IWB Defender. From what Keving at K&D has told me, the Cochise is the same. I'm still emailing him back and forth with questions, so I'll let you guys know what I find out on it.

Guest Hyaloid
These holsters look pretty nice, wonder if you can get them lined.

Pardon my ignorance, but what would you line the holster with?

Guest Boomhower

Yes jackdog, please explain. Kevin can line the backs of most holster's with suede, but I have never asked about the inside. Would lining the inside really be beneficial?

Pardon my ignorance, but what would you line the holster with?

Many leather companies offer soft suede linings. If you carry a Tupperware or a stainless gun you wouldn’t need it, but if you carry something with a high quality blue job; it’s something you might want to consider.

Many leather companies offer soft suede linings. If you carry a Tupperware or a stainless gun you wouldn’t need it, but if you carry something with a high quality blue job; it’s something you might want to consider.

LOL!!!

right there with you Dave.

there are some of us who have more to give than plastic when it comes to holster wear..

so how about it?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Boomhower

Well, I was going to get the Cochise Defender

cochise-brown-bg-2-ss.jpg

but after many, many emails with Kevin at K&D, we just weren't able to do it.:shhh: He did not have a mold for my gun, could not find one close by to use, and said there was too much stuff involved with me shipping him my gun to make the mold off of. I dunno, something about transfer fees along with shipping fees:shrug:. And I wanted one so bad too.

Many thanks to Kevin though for his attempts and "almost" customer serivce. He is a great guy to deal with.

So on to the next one. So I'm back to square one here guys, any new suggestions for IWB?

Guest Boomhower

Has anyone ever used a single clip IWB holster like this?

hume_h715_1a.jpghume_h715_2a.jpg

If so, how much would does it move on you belt? I would imigine that it would move a lot more than a double clip holster, but I have no clue. Anyone out there with experience?