HCP Class Information

Guest HexHead

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; WIDTH: 375pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=500>Here is the emial I got</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #0e2743; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; WIDTH: 564pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=752><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in; mso-border-alt: solid #0E2743 .75pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: blue 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: blue 0.75pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: blue 0.75pt inset; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: blue 0.75pt inset"><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 562.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=750 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=2>

ila_logo1.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top background=http://www.nraila.org/images/nra_email_datebarbck.jpg>ILA_indx_nHead44.gif<O:p></O:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 216.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" width=289 background=http://www.nraila.org/images/nra_email_datebarbck.jpg>

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=2>ila_backtop66.jpg

</TD></TR><!-- <font color="#ffffff" face="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"> --><TR style="HEIGHT: 27.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #0e2743; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; HEIGHT: 27.75pt" vAlign=bottom colSpan=2><O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top><TABLE style="WIDTH: 6.25in; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: white; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top>nra_hblank.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: white; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in"><TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-alt: 1.5pt 1.5pt 1.5pt 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 1.5pt; PADDING-LEFT: 1.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 1.5pt">

Tennessee Department of Safety (TDOS) Implements

De Facto Gun Registration Scheme!

Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voices Heard!<O:p></O:p>

The Tennessee Department of Safety (TDOS) is currently sending letters to all firearms instructors requiring them to complete and return a copy of a Handgun Safety School Class Roster within 24 hours of the completion of a handgun permit certification class, “effective immediately.â€

<O:p></O:p>

This new roster requires a student to provide information concerning the name of the firearm owner, the name of the student using the firearm, as well as the make, model, and serial number of firearms used. Currently, there are no statutes that authorize the TDOS to collect or require this information. Simply put, this is a backdoor, de facto gun registration scheme! Remember, registration is the first step to potential firearms confiscations.<O:p></O:p>

To view a version of the roster form, please click here.<O:p></O:p>

It is imperative that Tennessee’s law abiding gun owners stand-up and voice their opposition to this gun registration plot. Please contact the Tennessee Department of Safety and your State Legislators TODAY and respectfully let them know that you oppose the need and use of these rosters.The Tennessee Department of Safety can be reached by phone at (615) 253-5221 or toll-free at 866-849-3548. To find contact information for your State Legislators, please click here.<O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I forwarded that to both my State senator and rep and demanded an explanation. My Rep is A-rated by the NRA, so I expect some cooperation from him.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
no I get the point... you didnt read my post above...

"They could care less about the serial number"... this isnt about serial numbers, some moron just decided to ask for it on the "catch the bad instructor form"...

More like some moron that doesn't see why they shouldn't have all that info in a database somewhere.

I am with Glockmeister on this, I do not see some sinister motive for this.

I think some dumbnik working at TDOS thought it might make sense to have that info on a form. They are state employees, I am not so sure they are smart enough to do it on purpose.

but then I always look for the good in people :D

Some of you guys may already know this, but just in case I wanted to forward this update I received today.

This is a legislative update issued today by Donna Rowland's Office. I have just cut and pasted this so I hope it works. It appears to be an email from Lisa Knight of the Tennessee Department of Safety, Handgun Unit.

Good afternoon, <o></o>

My office has been made aware that the Tennessee Department of Safety (TDOS) is currently sending letters to all firearms instructors requiring them to provide information concerning the name of the firearm owner, the name of the student using the firearm, as well as the make, model, and serial number of firearms used.<o></o>

I have contacted the Dept. of Safety and Lisa Knight, the Director of the Handgun Permit Department has assured us they will be revising the form in question to address the concerns many constituents are having. Some of the detailed information such as serial number will be omitted to better protect the privacy of handgun carriers. <o></o>

Please see the following statement from Lisa Knight, to be followed by a formal statement: <o>

</o> "We are removing the serial # off the form as well as the part of the form that ask who owned the gun. The roster will still be required to show the students name, signature, TN Driver license number, test scores, certificate number and the date the class was completed. This is in part due to an audit finding."<o>

</o> Lisa Knight

Department of Safety

Handgun Unit

1150 Foster Ave.

Nashville TN 37210

Phone: (615) 251-5330

Fax: (615) 532-3056

Lisa.Knight@state.tn.us <o></o>

Thank you. <o></o>

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

Since they're already revising the form, we might as well push for the SSN no-no to be fixed too. Reverse the camel nose.

Edited by Schwarzgebrannt

why dont all you guys just lobby not to have the form at all. I mean really, as an instructor I dont have the time to sit down and take 30 minutes to an hour to fill this thing out. I have just enough time to get all the certificates done, test graded...etc...

My thing is, if I really thought it would do some good I wouldnt have a problem with it... but, its probably juts going to sit somewhere. I think if they want this info so bad they have it.... they just need to go and look it up in the other dept. in Safety.

Guest sharpshooter01

Took my HCP class yesterday and half way through they told us they needed us to bring our guns back up so they could get the serial numbers off them. We were their first class to have this done and they had forgot about it when we signed in. Luckily there was someone in the class that had sent an email earlier in the week concerning this issue to the TDOS, he pulled the reply from Lisa Knight up on his cell phone and showed our instructor. That was good enough for him. The guys that had already given there serial numbers were marked out and the rest of us just had to sign the form. Hopefully all the instructor's will get there letters soon so this doesn't happen again.

Guest 423aaron
why dont all you guys just lobby not to have the form at all. I mean really, as an instructor I dont have the time to sit down and take 30 minutes to an hour to fill this thing out. I have just enough time to get all the certificates done, test graded...etc...

My thing is, if I really thought it would do some good I wouldnt have a problem with it... but, its probably juts going to sit somewhere. I think if they want this info so bad they have it.... they just need to go and look it up in the other dept. in Safety.

I feel your pain. I have my wife come in to administer the written test while I am doing the shooting qual. She also does the other paper work and Certs.

They think that if they make us fill out this form on the day of class, then fax it to them with in 24 hours, that some dis-honest instructor will not be able to include a "bonus student" on a pre-existing role. By the way did you other instructors notice in the instruction letter we also have to snail mail a hard copy in addition to the fax copy?

If you were going to go for the "bonus student" couldn't you just include him on a a future role?

As stated poor execution. They are trying to fix a small problem (at least I believe it is a small problem) with paper work instead of manpower.

Can you imagine the data entry and cross referencing this is going to cause Nashville?

This is bound to speed things up.B)

Aaron

my other problem is its going to take me an additional hour to complete the form. Im already spending 30-45 minutes of class correcting the BAD INFORMATION in the OLD video... They never send us out new information on reciprocity states or changes in the law... they never got our new instructor certifications out on time... and the permit holders renewals are never back before they are supposed to be. Why cant they just do their jobs??? Its not like its rocket science!

Ex:

I went down to the Drivers License Testing Center and renewed my personal carry permit in person 48 days ago, I still dont have the new one... and it expires the 30th of this month. Any bets as to when I will actually get it?

Another example:

What ever happened to all that permit renewal money the state collected the last few years, when they wernt performing the required and paid for background ck's? See us citizens paid for those background ck's to be made... but they werent, so wheres all that money now? It didnt go to a new video, thats for sure.

15 years later Im honestly tired of having to clean up the states messes...

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

How should the average person help push to make things better?

I'm all for a streamlined carry process and if it's dressed up right it can't be that hard to promote. And yes, that video definitely needs to be replaced.

Guest 423aaron
How should the average person help push to make things better?

quote]

As often stated "Contact your reps".

Which I am not as proactive with as I should be either.

Aaron