Dissertation consulting?

Sam1

6 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

Never used one, but if you're willing to send me some money, I'll be happy to give you my opinion on most anything ...

Disregard this offer.

I'm acting as N0's agent, please remit funds to me.

Oh, and add a one and two zeros onto that check or we walk.

(See I told you I would be a good agent N0.)

1 hour ago, Pete123 said:

Congratulations Sam 1!  Getting to the dissertation is a big deal.

Still have a ways to go to get there - that's why I need some assistance.  Had a colloquium a few weeks ago with the professors and IRB, initial topic proposal was ok'd, but then the professor came back with concerns it will be difficult to put my own spin on the topic since it is one of the top three researched topics in all of IS/IT.  I don't have to have school approval until January, but when January gets here, I want to be at the point past topic approval and be able to defend the specifics.  This stuff is a pass/fail at 70, the topic proposal only got a 73... I don't like close calls. 

I haven't used a consulting service or know of anyone that has. Each school has different processes you have to manage. Even different disciplines in the same school can be extremely different. I know of some people that received PhD's in Audiology at the same school I went to - their experience was much different than in Electrical Engineering. I'll ask around some of my co-workers to see if anyone has experience with a dissertation consulting service.

What field/topic if you don't mind me asking? That might help locate someone with relevant experience.

In my experience, my advisor and committee were extremely helpful. It didn't hurt that my advisor is the most brilliant man I've ever met...

Thanks Bubba, I should be good for now.  Found a small fry company that can cover what I need.  The biggest concern I had was that most companies charge by the project/section of the work starting in the thousands of $...  I can't bring myself to put $4k down for a single project based on internet reviews.  This company charges by the hour and bills in 5 minute increments, said they don't worry about contracts or project price because they are good enough that people keep coming back.  So I can punch out if they don't fulfill.  Having no contracts to lock you down or crazy up front prices makes me think they are fairly competent.

The school has some great professors, some good ones and some so-so ones as with any school.  I need some continuity between that to get and keep me ahead of the expected schedule.

It's in IT, the topic will be in the arena of the performance of specific governance mechanisms in strategic alignments (that's not that actual topic statement, just the general area).  Basically researching the effects that different types (haven't decided which types yet) of governance have on organizational (not sure on population yet) performance.  Or it may go into the performance strategic alignment strategies applied to government agencies as compared to private sector...  Not sure yet, I don't need topic approval until January, but it would be nice if I walk into that meeting with my pimp hat and cane without stressing about approval because the work is already 2-3 months ahead of schedule.

Can't do that at Capella... They make us have topic approval before doing the comps, but that is because they changed their program so that the topic can be used on the three comps so we don't waste time researching other random topics before moving to the dissertation phase.  It works out for us in the end, just a bit rough getting started.

I don’t have any experience with this; so just a question. I always thought a dissertation was to test your knowledge on a subject, your ability to put your thoughts on paper and your ability to do the research. Is that not correct? What does a consulting service do for you?

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t have any experience with this; so just a question. I always thought a dissertation was to test your knowledge on a subject, your ability to put your thoughts on paper and your ability to do the research. Is that not correct? What does a consulting service do for you?

A dissertation primarily does two things; it shows your ability to perform scholarly research and present it, and add something new to the existing body of knowledge.

The consulting services are basically like a tutor, they help make sure each section meets the specific criteria, they can help with data analysis, APA reviews etc.  They are not allowed to actually write anything for you.  The specific consultant I found is a retired professor that has written SOPs for IRBs (review boards that approve research) and reviewed dissertations for schools he worked at.  He also worked for NASA during the first moon landing which I thought was cool... So he's been around a day or two.  That's the kind of experience you pay for.  Some schools provide mentors for their phd students, mine does as well, but when someone is on the end of your checkbook, you don't have that feeling that they are doing you a favor (like an appointed mentor) and you can expect a certain level of service instead of hoping they are willing to contribute.