460 Rowland Conversion

I looked into this years ago.  Ultimately decided against it.  Lack of factory ammo, requirement for a muzzle compensator, and reports of cracked slides put me off it.

I don't like compensators on carry guns as they emit a jet of flame, usually right into your line of sight.  Bad idea in low-light situations.

I have a full-size and commander-size 1911 in .400 Corbon.  Not really in the same class, but I like a practical 600ft/lb handgun that you can actually carry and buy factory ammo.  Just my .02.

• Like 1

I would imagine that gunsmiths offering the conversion have figured out how to keep things from breaking by now.

Just keep in mind that getting a 230gr bullet up past 1200fps and near 1000 ft/lbs requires living with sharp recoil, a heavy pistol, muzzle blast, compensator, hand loading ammo, etc.

This is not a new concept.  I believe it came out about 1998 or so.  

I ran 460 Rowland in a 1911 a while back and it wasn't all that bad of recoil.  Like a 10mm in light frame. 

If not a reloader, ammo availability was definitely an issue.  May be better nowadays.

My biggest problem was targets... big holes and chunks get blowed out.  Was definitely impressive.

I also decided against it, mostly due to cost. Nobody specifically makes a conversion for the 3.3 XDS so I'd have to have a 3.8 modified. Ammo availability is terrible & it's spendy when you find it. I figured that it wouldn't be something I'd shoot enough of, to warrant buying the reloading components.

I decided to go with .45 Super. It's not quite as potent as the .460, but ammo is a  lot cheaper, if not common, and I can use my ACP reloading setup. Once I have the brass, regular .45 components work. You may not even need to upgrade your recoil spring. It's recommended in the 1911, but I was cautioned against it in the XD because it can lead to unreliable feeding.

What is your reasoning for wanting one? If you don't mind me asking.....

If it's just for the cool factor, then more power to ya! I was after ultralight grizzly & moose deterrent for my hunting trips out west, so it'll get maybe 20 rounds per year.

On July 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM, robtattoo said:

I also decided against it, mostly due to cost. Nobody specifically makes a conversion for the 3.3 XDS so I'd have to have a 3.8 modified. Ammo availability is terrible & it's spendy when you find it. I figured that it wouldn't be something I'd shoot enough of, to warrant buying the reloading components.

I decided to go with .45 Super. It's not quite as potent as the .460, but ammo is a  lot cheaper, if not common, and I can use my ACP reloading setup. Once I have the brass, regular .45 components work. You may not even need to upgrade your recoil spring. It's recommended in the 1911, but I was cautioned against it in the XD because it can lead to unreliable feeding.

What is your reasoning for wanting one? If you don't mind me asking.....

If it's just for the cool factor, then more power to ya! I was after ultralight grizzly & moose deterrent for my hunting trips out west, so it'll get maybe 20 rounds per year.

You might wanna try some 45+p loading first. Might be all you want in that gun. Accurate powder has +p data in their online data guide. I've gotten 230's up to 950 in a commander. 

8 hours ago, Jct1911 said:

You might wanna try some 45+p loading first. Might be all you want in that gun. Accurate powder has +p data in their online data guide. I've gotten 230's up to 950 in a commander. 

Are you talking to me or cmsmith?

I've already put a box of Super through the XDS (Believe me, I did a TON of research on this...) & it's utterly miserable to shoot. It's very painful on the wrist & elbow & it feels like it's trying to relocate my right thumb to my right ear. That said, I'm not shooting it at the range, or for home defence. This is literally a 'holy crap, there's a bear/moose smashing my ribs into the floor' gun.

I've got a comp glock 21 for 460. Ditched a few 10mm's to keep moving in that direction. .451 bullet selection is a lot better than .40 cal.   I will convert a 30.  The rowlandator sight and comp would be a must on the 30 imo. I wouldn't consider the extended ported barrel, have a 44 mag snub for flash bang fun.  A lot of 45 super and 460 info on glock talk. Starline super brass will run in 460 territory with the right barrel.  I'm in Gallatin. Pm if you want to see what the fuss is about. Find a few 460 rounds or take a chance on my reloads.