.22lr revolver ideas...

G27

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a Heritage Arms single action for around $125, if you look. I have one, and it's a lot of fun. Granted, it's no Ruger Single-Six, but it's worth what you pay.

Guest Astra900

I have a Heritage Arms .22Mag.

If it hadn't been a gift, I'd throw it at you! Literally:)

You're a grown man, do what you like, but I think they are :poop:.

I use CCI maxi-mag and it will fail to fire ATLEAST 1 out of 6. You can re-try and usually it will fire...sometimes:rolleyes:

I understand the frugalness, but if he were my boy, I'd keep looking. Nothing disappoints a kid like a toy that don't work.

:P

You're a grown man, do what you like, but I think they are :poop:.

I use CCI maxi-mag and it will fail to fire ATLEAST 1 out of 6. You can re-try and usually it will fire...sometimes:rolleyes:

I understand the frugalness, but if he were my boy, I'd keep looking. Nothing disappoints a kid like a toy that don't work.

:P

Personally I would bite the bullet..no pun intended, and try to find a used Ruger or other good quality .22. It will pay off in the long run. It will be safer and more enjoyable for both you and your son to shoot.

Yah, I'm thinking you're right. Just aren't a lot of local dealers selling good used firearms around here.

This isn't for Christmas, so I've got time.

Yah, I'm thinking you're right. Just aren't a lot of local dealers selling good used firearms around here.

This isn't for Christmas, so I've got time.

I've got an old H&R 9 shot, still rock solid, used it for HCP class, matter of fact.

Not worth more than around $125, if that, I'm told.

Surely there must be some of these still around somewhere?

Or maybe an old Charter?

- OS

Guest Provence
I like the Taurus .22 revolvers....around $300 for a stainless 9 shot 4" barrel. They're really nice looking...I want one eventually for my son.

I've been pleased with this Taurus 970. It was around $300 as I recall.

2463373936_2e1d819f72.jpg

Guest gcrookston

I would bite the bullet on a Taurus or Ruger. They will last a life time.

My little 22 revolver shipped from the factory the year I was born.

DSC00040.jpg

Edited by gcrookston

When you give your son a handgun you are potentially giving him an heirloom. If it is a quality pistol your great grandchildren will shoot it.

I say save the extra money up and get the boy a Ruger Single Six. His grandkids will thank you.

When you give your son a handgun you are potentially giving him an heirloom. If it is a quality pistol your great grandchildren will shoot it.

I say save the extra money up and get the boy a Ruger Single Six. His grandkids will thank you.

I hadn't really thought of it like that, good point.

Guest Phantom6

You're a grown man, do what you like, but I think they are ;).

:mad:

I have several Heritage Arms single action revolvers and have never had an issue with any of them. The problem Astra900 describes is normally occuring when someone has dry-fired any rim fire pistol and ovaled out the face of the chamber causing unreliable primer strikes. The heritage is a great gun to learn on. Get him that one now and a Henry lever action, octagonal barrel .22 to match for his next special occasion. ;)

Guest pjblurton

My mother found a Clerke 1st .22LR pistol when my dad passed. It's a real POS! I'm affraid to even shoot it! When I asked its value on another forum I was told $0.07. I could make you a deal! (If it weren't for your kid)

My mother found a Clerke 1st .22LR pistol when my dad passed. It's a real POS! I'm affraid to even shoot it! When I asked its value on another forum I was told $0.07. I could make you a deal! (If it weren't for your kid)

Haha, I appreciate your generous offer, but will pass.

hehehe

Guest gcrookston
Is that a K22?

I had a K38 once,great pistol.

That is a Model 17 "Master Piece". It shipped out of the factory on Saturday, December 22, 1962 to a hardware store in Knoxville, TN, the year and day I was born. It was just coincidental that I came into possession of it a couple years ago at a gun show in Franklin. I didn't know the history, other than the box, until I sent off for a letter.

S&W had discontinued the label "K22" a couple of years prior. 1959, 1958? They gave all their guns # designations, So the K38 became the Model 19, depending upon which one you had, it was the combat, target or etc.

Edited by gcrookston

I recently bought a S&W 617 because I wanted a .22 for more trigger time.

I wanted something that was a full size, full weight gun.

It’s not cheap but I got an excellent deal on it from Daniel at Guns & Leather. When I was trying to find something used I saw prices higher than what I paid for new; so if I decide to trade it off I can get what I have in it.

SW617004web.jpg

SW617002web.jpg

That's a beautiful gun!

Thanks. It’s really nice to shoot too.

Nice wood grips. Where did you get them?

S&W Forum. A guy had a bunch of brand new take offs from 586’s and was selling them.

The 617 is a K-frame so any Round Butt K or L frame grips will fit it.