CV joint replacement/diagnosis

broox

So my 2001 chevy tahoe with 288,000 miles on it started making this awful clack-clack-clack noise this morning, clacking faster as I sped up. After googling a couple how to videos, I think I can replace the cv axles, but my question is how do I know that is the problem?  Please, someone tell me if this idea is dumb/foolish/dangerous: can I remove the cv axles, then drive around the front yard and see if the noise is gone? It is four wheel drive of course and I am talking about the front axles. 

Thanks TGO! 

Edited by broox

its not worth the effort to rig it to drive with out the shaft in.

Chances are the cv boot ripped and water and muck replaced the grease. Metal to metal no good!

Most every bad cv joint I have seen has been because of the torn boot. 

Just jack up the front end and spin the wheel by hand and listen for noise. Or if you see the boot ripped and grease flung out, call it bad.

you can buy a rebuilt half shaft from any auto parts store. 

8 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I have an awful clack noise coming from my Dodge too :( I've been putting off troubleshooting because I'm nervous what I'll find. I'm hoping it's just a CV or wheel bearing. Maybe this weekend I'll tackle it.

good luck!

15 hours ago, broox said:

Thanks!

Well, after posting I decided to just Jack up the rear end and let the wheels turn, noise is coming from the transfer case. I'm sure this will be cheap....

A Jasper rebuilt transfer case for my old 01 z71 was $2200 installed. Hope that isn't what you need.

Well, it looks like the end for my tahoe. The transfer case was bone dry. Now, whenever I drive it, it "slaps" at the front drive shaft, trying to turn it, making a loud metallic clunk or snap. I did fill it up with the appropriate fluid, but looks like the damage is done. This was an old beater type car, paid three grand for it a year and a half ago, we probably won't pay to have it repaired, although if I think I can fix it, I might try. 

In other news, we are going minivan shopping this weekend. Wish me luck

Last winter, I replaced the transfer case and front differential in my 02 Silverado, which would be the same as yours. Replacing the transfer case wasn't a tough job at all. I bought a rebuilt one on ebay. I think it was about $750 if I remember correctly. The only extra thing you'll need is the gasket that goes between the transmission and transfer case, and someone to operate the floor jack for you when you pull the old one and put in the new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-NP246-Rebuilt-Transfer-Case-2002-Down-/301540393661?hash=item46353542bd:g:qHkAAMXQCndRgcc8

Cheaper than mine was, but same seller.

*edit to add*

Of course you'll need some of the elusive blue juice....aka.....auto track II fluid.

Edited by gregintenn