Who here owns an AR?

wolfdog45

Kinda an old thread, but since it's here I'll post. Only thing I have right now is a Remington R-15 VTR. I have plans of either buying or building an EBR in the near future though, but it's going to be a bit still because I'm gonna sink a ton of money into it. :bow:

0119090703si8.jpg

Pay no attention to the EBR in the pic, that would be my paintball gun so it's only slightly evil. :D

I have a CMMG midlength. I was given a bunch of parts for it by a friend that included some useful stuff (Aimpoint, H&K mags) and some stuff that I can't use (carbine length rail). I still need to get my rail for it and a Magpul AFG and I'll be pretty happy with it.

photo2-2.jpg

I may or may not have three:

Olympic arms all dressed up and nowhere to go,

Bushmaster XM15-E2S lightly tricked and,

COLT SP1 early 73' model. not doin nuthin to it cause when your the best why try harder!!:D

Don't know which is more fun too shoot them or my M-1's but as long as I'm shootin who cares;)

Guest Ditchdigger

Been through all these threads tonight, glad to see someone else with an AR with her hunting clothes on. Sorry, new here, can't figure out how to post a picture of mine. Can't wait to get one with her work clothes on.

Guest malbolja

I have a Rock River with a carbine upper (mid length gas) with an aimpoint. I also have a RR 20" bull barrel upper wearing a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 that has shot under half an inch @ 100 yards with Wolf Gold pretty consistently. Rifle has not malfed with either upper - but I haven't shot it much, a few hundred through the carbine and maybe 200 through the bull bbl.

Next up: a 6.8 upper.

IMO it's hard to go wrong as long as you stick to a good brand. And a Les Baer might outshoot my RRA but I'd never know it 'cause I'm just not that good! If you don't want to do a complete build, it's a bit cheaper to buy the upper and lower separately than to buy a complete rifle (at least it was when I bought mine pre-Obowmao).

standard.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deputy dog

I to have a Bushmaster in 223 & also I'm looking to go with a flattop upper. Does anyone know if I should go with a full upper & barrel assembly, or go with my barrel & parts transfered to a raw upper? Also how inportant is the forwad assist ?

Guest Smith653

I just recently purchased a pre ban colt AR15 sporter match Hbar, 20" barrell. Has not been fired. This is my first AR. I dont know if I want to do ad ons to this one or leave it all stock. any advise?

Guest 73challenger

I have a 16" Del ton kit rifle with a LRB lower. I almost wish I would have bought a CMMG bargain bin rifle instead. A 275$ DSA upper and a BCM bolt carrier would have been pretty nice also.... But, I still like it. I have a primary arms m3 red dot.

.... go with my barrel & parts transfered to a raw upper? Also how inportant is the forwad assist ?

You can buy just a flat-top upper and transfer everything over to it. You can get one direct, no need for a FFL.

Now - - - JMHO - - - The forward assist really isn't needed so long as you keep the weapon clean. Its sort of a last ditch SHTF effort to ram home a round into a dirty chamber which can result in even a worst failure of a stuck case. When that happens you'll need to transition to your secondary weapon (handgun) or breakout the cleaning rod and punch the stuck case out.

I just recently purchased a pre ban colt AR15 sporter match Hbar, 20" barrell. Has not been fired. This is my first AR. I dont know if I want to do ad ons to this one or leave it all stock. any advise?

Free Float the barrel..., send the lower off to Frank White at Compass Lake Eng for his trigger action work..., add some service rifle match front and rear sights..., add some lead to the buttstock and under the handguards..., get a good sling..., buy some Federal Match Ammo..., and then head to the range for a service rifle match!

I just described to you my Colt Sporter Match that I have been shooting in Service Rifle Matches for the past ten years. Its a sub MOA weapon all the way out to the 600 yard line with the stock barrel.

If you want to do some add ons - - - good reason to buy a second AR (M4 model).

And don't forget, Its a Colt - Not a Copy. You have the real deal. :)

Edited by DMark

I don't agree with buying a complete rifle as your first. I don't see how getting a rifle assembled by a factory is any better than you doing it yourself with the right tools.

I switched my Bushmaster collapsable stock with an A2 stock (with an armorers wrench) and the factory stock wasn't staked at all. No grease (just lube oil) on the reciever threads. No loctite (not sure if its really neccessary) on the pistol grip screw. Decent gas key staking, no extractor insert, and a 1:10 twist barrel (1st Remington specs).

I bought a used S&W M&P15 and it had most of the small details already done from the factory. I did the same to the Bushy that I could have done myself from a virgin build.

My next purchase is going to be either a BCM or LMT midlength upper, BCM BCG and bolt, and a H buffer.

You can buy a seperate upper and lower and still save the 11% excise tax.

I don't agree with buying a complete rifle as your first. I don't see how getting a rifle assembled by a factory is any better than you doing it yourself with the right tools.

I switched my Bushmaster collapsable stock with an A2 stock (with an armorers wrench) and the factory stock wasn't staked at all. No grease (just lube oil) on the reciever threads. No loctite (not sure if its really neccessary) on the pistol grip screw. Decent gas key staking, no extractor insert, and a 1:10 twist barrel (1st Remington specs).

I bought a used S&W M&P15 and it had most of the small details already done from the factory. I did the same to the Bushy that I could have done myself from a virgin build.

My next purchase is going to be either a BCM or LMT midlength upper, BCM BCG and bolt, and a H buffer.

You can buy a seperate upper and lower and still save the 11% excise tax.

And save not only the excise tax, but for a number of companies you save on cost just by buying a complete lower and upper separately. For instance with CMMG you can save $200 on their carbine by buying the completed upper and lower separately.

BCM and LMT are top notch stuff. You won't go wrong with that combo. I just bought a Daniel Defense.

Guest biggun215

Bushmaster model XM15-E25

DPMS 16"

COLT HBAR PREBAN

AND MY LAST AND THE ONE I SHOOT THE MOST.... SMITH AND WESSON M&P UPPER ON A LAR GRIZZLEY LOWER IN 5.45X39 TRICKED OUT

THE 545X39 IS ABOUT A THIRD OF THE PRICE TO SHOOT BUT FUNCTIONS THE EXACT SAME, GREAT GUN IF ANYONE IS THINKING ABOUT GETTING ONE.

.... I dont know if I want to do ad ons to this one or leave it all stock....

Forgot to mention that all of my recommendations above leaves the rifle with a stock appearence (other than the hooded rear match sight).

I figured that what you meant by "add-ons" would be all of the rail-mounted stuff that we hang on M4s.

I have one Bushmaster M4 type A3 Patrolmans carbine.

Bushmaster - Law Enforcement Rifles

Modified it with a Bravo Company bolt carrier group and charging handle.

Assembled the other myself.

Aero Precision stripped lower

AR15 Lower Parts Kit (semi) DPMS

BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

MAG417-MOE TRIGGER GUARD-BLACK

CTR AR-15 STOCK (MIL SPEC TUBE)

BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto (IONBOND Finish)

BCMGUNFIGHTERâ„¢ Charging Handle with Mod 4 Latch (MEDIUM)

Stock Hardware Mounting Kit (Mil-Spec) - H Buffer

Geissele Triggers Super Semi-Automatic Small Pin .154

Troy Rear Folding Battle Sight Black

My third one is still being assembled.

I think it will be a 20" rifle

I have the lower and the parts for that.

Probably use a MagPul PRS stock.

I want to put a decent scope on it too.

Edited by 45ACP