Reminder.. it's not like hollywood

Sam1

They've gotten a lot more attention since the World Cup and the Olympics.  I've traveled all over Northern Brazil and only once felt in danger, and even then I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when two groups of youths decided to go at it. Spent a week in Rio with zero issues, just like anywhere else in the world, avoid the bad areas.

8 minutes ago, BrasilNuts said:

They've gotten a lot more attention since the World Cup and the Olympics.  I've traveled all over Northern Brazil and only once felt in danger, and even then I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when two groups of youths decided to go at it. Spent a week in Rio with zero issues, just like anywhere else in the world, avoid the bad areas.

Heh. Like Hotel Sao Paulo?

(an IAEA inspector friend had the living hell beat out of him not 10' from the steps to the entrance.  When I stayed there, I am not sure I slept a wink)

Edited by R_Bert
10 minutes ago, R_Bert said:

Heh. Like Hotel Sao Paulo?

Whatever it takes.

Edit:  People get the living hell beaten out of them in their own driveway, sometimes $#|+ just happens, keep your head on a swivel wherever you are.

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1

Excellent point Brasil.

There's areas back in New Orleans I wouldn't go wearing body armor and carrying an AR...heck, there's places in nearly every town I simply wouldn't willingly walk into. I imagine most of us know to avoid those areas, or approach them if we have to with a sense of very heightened awareness.

As to to shooting in the posted video. The BG chose not to engage when he met resistance from what I can see. Bad victim selection process on his part.

It looks like the GG (Good Guy) didn't hesitate and fired around 8-10 torso shots into said BG. A CNS shot would have ended the foray much more quickly.

IF the BG had starting shooting back, at that close distance, it wouldn't have turned out as well for the GG. Close, control, yada yada. Randy teaches some excellent techniques based on these scenarios actually. (Shameless plug for a great guy :))

I'm not necessarily Monday Morning quarterbacking this, but it's remarkable the damage the human body can sustain and stay in the fight. That's good news (if it's one of us GG's that are shot...keep fighting). There's a huge mental aspect to it all...

Working back in New Orleans one night, I had a guy drive up to the ER doors in a van. The driver had been shot 9 times, dude next to him 7 times, dude in the back seat DRT. Point is the driver had been shot before, removed himself and a couple of the guys from the foray and drove several miles to our ER.

The driver knew from experience his wounds were survivable, he choose to carry on. He was a POS banger and drug dealer and lived to carry on his trade. He slipped out of the ER a couple of hours later, an ER full of police officers, while we were busy working on another fine citizen. It's a crazy world out there...wherever there is.

Oh...and you might consider learning some med skilz as well...you know, Self Care and Buddy Care...just in case...

Edited by prag
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, BrasilNuts said:

Whatever it takes.

Edit:  People get the living hell beaten out of them in their own driveway, sometimes $#|+ just happens, keep your head on a swivel wherever you are.

Oh, I agree.  SP (~12 weeks all total there) was no different than Moscow (~5 weeks), Johannesburg (~26 weeks), Memphis (1.5 days??), or ... my own back yard in New River.  It does makes things worse when you don't speak the language (although I eventually learned New River)

• Like 2