Why I like a Glock?

glockster157

I would like to take a moment and have a little fun as it is slow this morning and I have no doubt this has been discussed ad nauseam so I apologize up front. But there are new readers on occassion so I don't guess it hurts.

Things I like about Glocks.

1. They are 100% reliable or at least as far as that is possible and in my experience. The only feeding problem I have ever experienced, ever, with the many, many Glocks I have owned or used is with a early 36. I believe this issue has been resolved in later models.

2. They are lightweight for there size. I realize they are a little thicker than a 1911, but they are a far sight lighter also. I do wish they made a single stack 9mm or 40sw.

3. Anybody can take one apart and put it back together with very little training. Parts are very inexpensive compared to other firearms and you can pretty much do it with a single punch, no special tools required.

4. It may be polymer but it is durable. I never have to worry about rust and corrosion. There was even one case where a Glock 21 was lost shark fishing in salt water, recovered over 6 months later, cleaned and fired without issue. Others have been dragged, dropped, shot, ran completely dry, ran covered in oil, mud covered, frozen, etc. and they still work.

5. To really upset some I think the Glock points better one handed than a 1911, though I would agree it a 1911 seems to point better in a modified Weaver. But for a close range self defense gun I think this is a good thing as I may to use it one handed. Try it. Whip a Glock out in one hand straight down range and I find it quite level. With a two handed combat stance I find I have to practice to keep the barrel as low as a 1911. Just me maybe.

6. I could buy 6 Glocks for the price of a high end custom 1911. I could buy 3 Glocks for the price of a medium priced 1911. I could buy a Glock of choice a whole bunch of accessories and ammo for the price of a good quality 1911.

7. Tons of aftermarket accessories at reasonable prices

Some things I don't like,

1. No real external safety so it must be carried in a holster or with a trigger block.

2. Thickness, they are a little on the thick side.

3. Looks, they won't win a beauty contest, but ugly is as ugly does.

4. Not supposed to shoot lead in factory barrel. I can't say the "kaboom" issue is something I don't like but it is real I believe in the 40sw. I have experienced it once but it was my fault. I had been shooting lead as an experiment. Thought I had got it all out plus the ammo I shot at the next range was some cheap American stuff that had been in my trunck so it was very warm. I blew a case head. Did'nt hurt the gun. Found some lead traces in the barrel. Cleaned again, changed mags, still going.

I could go on and on but I think I have said enough for now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sold one and you are right. It is a very good 1911 for the money and I will get another. I will get a Commander or Officers size gun and will be proud to own it if it shoots as well as the 5" I had. It was not really any cheaper than I have picked up good used Glocks for but it did weigh a ton more, but I really liked it. I think they are the best value in 1911's out there right now. I have had 1911's that cost a bunch more than that RIA and did not perform half as well. I still carry a Glock 27 or a SW642 though. I mean, I am staking my life on these guns.

snip.

You should really consider removing your signature phrase. It's vile and disgusting. You may mean well by it, but, nonetheless glockster157, your message is bigoted.

On topic: The glock system of no external safety is one reason to like it.

Guest truthsayer
You should really consider removing your signature phrase. It's vile and disgusting. You may mean well by it, but, nonetheless glockster157, your message is bigoted.

While it may involve a touchy subject matter, I never saw it as offensive. Lighten up.

• Administrator

You are not a moderator. Leave the moderating to those of us who are.

In the future if you feel that something like this needs to be addressed, click on the button beneath the post in question to report that post to the moderator team and we'll look into it. It's not your place to address it with the member in question. In this case I see no reason to bother; the signature quote is bigoted in any way. Jew is a concatenated form of the word Jewish, not a slur.

I really like the sig line and think he should keep it... and I am a mod. I did not find it offensive, and I think the only way one COULD find it offensive is if they had no understanding of the events that led up to the horror of the Jewish genocides in Hitler's Germany. I think the line touches on a very sad truth that we are heading towards repeating in this country if more anti-gun legislation is passed.

Even though I'm not a Glock fan, +1 Glockster.

Guest Astra900
I think the line touches on a very sad truth that we are heading towards repeating in this country if more anti-gun legislation is passed.

Even though I'm not a Glock fan, +1 Glockster.

I'll give you an AMEN to that!

The whole quote/signature I originally put up was

"Those who can survive are the only ones worth surviving. Fighting for your life isn't the same as murder. Where do you draw the line once you know what the enemy is?

How long would the Nazis have kept it up...if every Jew they came after

had met them with a gun in his hand? But I learned from them, General Black. Oh, I learned." Walter Mathau Fail Safe 1964

This is from Walter Mathaus character, Professor Groeteschele,

responding to General Black in the movie Fail Safe from 1964.

I thought the statement one of the best Hollywood lines I had

ever heard. Did not mean to offend anyone. I shortened it as

I thought it too long but I will put references back in.

I would also like to state that I am a born again, Bible believing, Spirit Filled Christian

who loves Israel and the Jewish people because they are the

apple of Gods eye. I do not for the life of me understand

why so many are liberal and for stong gun "control".

Now Back to the Glock issue

Guest sermon8r
I'll give you an AMEN to that!

AMEN

Since I am a Adopted Jew....

Ephesians 1:4-6 (King James Version)

According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Edited by sermon8r
Guest Astra900

As soon as Glock makes a model with a barrel that is cast boolit friendly, I swear I'll own one. I'm just too cheap (and poor) to buy pistol bullets.

The whole quote/signature I originally put up was

"Those who can survive are the only ones worth surviving. Fighting for your life isn't the same as murder. Where do you draw the line once you know what the enemy is?

How long would the Nazis have kept it up...if every Jew they came after

had met them with a gun in his hand? But I learned from them, General Black. Oh, I learned." Walter Mathau Fail Safe 1964

This is from Walter Mathaus character, Professor Groeteschele,

responding to General Black in the movie Fail Safe from 1964.

I thought the statement one of the best Hollywood lines I had

ever heard. Did not mean to offend anyone. I shortened it as

I thought it too long but I will put references back in.

I would also like to state that I am a born again, Bible believing, Spirit Filled Christian

who loves Israel and the Jewish people because they are the

apple of Gods eye. I do not for the life of me understand

why so many are liberal and for stong gun "control".

snip

Since you mentioned it, I don't doubt you are sincere, but at least you need to know that this phrase has been used historically to denigrate those victims and many see it differently than some. But, hey, really, I didn't know it was a movie quote, so thanks for the info.

As soon as Glock makes a model with a barrel that is cast boolit friendly, I swear I'll own one. I'm just too cheap (and poor) to buy pistol bullets.

Yea, but by then it using stockpiled powder will make you a bg.

I like Glocks because they are tougher than the hinges of hell and you don't have to cry when you get a scratch on it.For the most part they are reliable but not 100%.

I just bought a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for my G27. Works well so far except I think I will put a 9mm ejector in it as the 125 grain lead loads I was shooting at 1050 were just barely clearing the ejection port. The 115 jacketed at 1140 were flinging out good. Go figure?

Guest jackdog

Ggun