One year weigh in. 157lbs lost

Guest aBRG2far

Guest aBRG2far

2278914520075955299S600x600Q85.jpg

Well here we are one year later, its been a wild journey. No surgery, Dr's pills, just a will to succeed and exercise. This is me in a pair of pants I wore last Christmas, size 64 and wearing an XL shirt for the first time in over 15 years.

The holidays were rough but they reinforced my need for strict control over food so I plan to keep doing the food journal for now. Christmas Eve I over cooked and had family here, Christmas Day I went to my sisters to eat and the day after there was just to many left overs that were way to convenient to eat. The next day I gave them to the dogs or threw them out. My problem hasn't been not eating its stopping once I start so I only lost 7lbs for December which isn't bad but I feel I could have done better.

I took my first ever aerobics class Monday, 1 hour of step class and did I feel it. My plan is to drop one water aerobics class a week for a more vigorous cardio workout instead and work up to two a week. I'm still walking 3 miles a day, swimming 1K 3x a week as well as weight training 3x a week. My calorie intake is still around 1200-1300, somedays more, somedays less.

I want to thank everyone for their positive thoughts and encouragement, it really helped during those weak moments when the fast food was calling out to me. I honestly believe I've lived more in the last year than I would of had in the time left for me if I hadn't started this journey. I look forward to next year and losing the rest of whats been holding me down. If you or someone you know needs to make this change in your life please do so. It takes work and its not easy but I know the suffering that you feel now is nothing compared to exercising and changing your lifestyle and after you get started and begin reaping the benefits you'll forget that pain but always remember how you felt when you were obese. I was a lazy glutton and if I could do it anyone can you just got to want it bad enough.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Awesome job! So far I've been sticking to my new years resolution of going on a good diet. I've found a bunch of healthy but tasty recipes and I think thats the key. Enjoy eating the health food and you'll be less tempted to eat slop. Exercise may come in another month or so once I get adjusted to the new diet.

Guest pjblurton
Heavens...that's pretty impressive, too.

I doubt I'd lose 18 pounds if I totally fasted for those 5 weeks!

- OS

I think the 1st 25 will be easy... That last 25 is gonna be tough. aBRG2far is my new hero!

Guest aBRG2far
Very cool...tell us more about your diet changes.

I use a food journal to track my intake. Fitday.com is free and I've used it from the start. 1200 calories is not what I started at. I began at 2000 and it dropped mostly on its own about 100 calories a month as I learned how to make better choices and portion control using scales and measuring cups. I quit fast food except for an Arby's chicken sandwich and 3 Krystals in the last year. I eat almost everything I want but watch how much and the really bad stuff I love like french fries or pecan pie, I'll have a taste and walk away so I don't feel deprived. I read labels in the grocery to pick the best choice. When I snack I'll eat fruit or lean protein to feel full.

I changed my relationship with food. Its not my friend, nor my enemy. Its not a reward or there to console me. Its fuel. Fuel to go out and do the things I want to do and exercise is the means to get to do those things. So start with changing the way you think about food, then change your intake and when you start losing weight and can handle exercising start slow and every few weeks increase the effort. I started by going to the mailbox and back now I'm hiking the Smokies twice a month and going to the stay at the lodge on Mt LeConte this Sept.

Guest Bronker
2278914520075955299S600x600Q85.jpg

Well here we are one year later, its been a wild journey. No surgery, Dr's pills, just a will to succeed and exercise. This is me in a pair of pants I wore last Christmas, size 64 and wearing an XL shirt for the first time in over 15 years.

The holidays were rough but they reinforced my need for strict control over food so I plan to keep doing the food journal for now. Christmas Eve I over cooked and had family here, Christmas Day I went to my sisters to eat and the day after there was just to many left overs that were way to convenient to eat. The next day I gave them to the dogs or threw them out. My problem hasn't been not eating its stopping once I start so I only lost 7lbs for December which isn't bad but I feel I could have done better.

I took my first ever aerobics class Monday, 1 hour of step class and did I feel it. My plan is to drop one water aerobics class a week for a more vigorous cardio workout instead and work up to two a week. I'm still walking 3 miles a day, swimming 1K 3x a week as well as weight training 3x a week. My calorie intake is still around 1200-1300, somedays more, somedays less.

I want to thank everyone for their positive thoughts and encouragement, it really helped during those weak moments when the fast food was calling out to me. I honestly believe I've lived more in the last year than I would of had in the time left for me if I hadn't started this journey. I look forward to next year and losing the rest of whats been holding me down. If you or someone you know needs to make this change in your life please do so. It takes work and its not easy but I know the suffering that you feel now is nothing compared to exercising and changing your lifestyle and after you get started and begin reaping the benefits you'll forget that pain but always remember how you felt when you were obese. I was a lazy glutton and if I could do it anyone can you just got to want it bad enough.

What are you gonna do with those pants...?

By the way, dumb question, how tall are you?

I'm waaaaay behind you, need to drop about 80 myself.

Awesome job man!!!!