Upcoming Germantown auction

I went over to the Americanlongrifles forum to see what they were saying about this sale and it sounds pretty much as described at the link for the sale.

"This is how these are usually conducted around here.  It's an "estate sale" with the address being given the day before the sale.  The next morning, you get a number which dictates the order you will be allowed into the sale.  The earlier your number, the better chance you have.  They only let so many buyers into the sale at a time, allowing others in as some leave.  Prices are fixed, but you can leave an offer and if the item doesn't sell, they will consider it.  Previews generally aren't allowed.  You have to be there in person or have an agent present.  I doubt there will be an individual item listing as at auctions.  You can bet that at 8am the day of the sale people will be already lined up around the block waiting for numbers."

"It's not an auction. It's an estate sale. I go to these sorts of things all the time in Pennsylvania and New Jersey--there are a half dozen or so within an easy drive every weekend--and they all work exactly as …………. describes." 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

I went over to the Americanlongrifles forum to see what they were saying about this sale and it sounds pretty much as described at the link for the sale.

"This is how these are usually conducted around here.  It's an "estate sale" with the address being given the day before the sale.  The next morning, you get a number which dictates the order you will be allowed into the sale.  The earlier your number, the better chance you have.  They only let so many buyers into the sale at a time, allowing others in as some leave.  Prices are fixed, but you can leave an offer and if the item doesn't sell, they will consider it.  Previews generally aren't allowed.  You have to be there in person or have an agent present.  I doubt there will be an individual item listing as at auctions.  You can bet that at 8am the day of the sale people will be already lined up around the block waiting for numbers."

"It's not an auction. It's an estate sale. I go to these sorts of things all the time in Pennsylvania and New Jersey--there are a half dozen or so within an easy drive every weekend--and they all work exactly as …………. describes." 

Screw thar! Thanks for the education.

I did a little asking around and it turns out that I know a guy who knows. Its not an estate. The owner is still alive and kickin'. He 's just decided to "downsize". And from what I hear, he's very proud of his collection and its priced accordingly. 

I'm about 30 minutes away, but I'm not going. I can't afford to even look at this stuff. 

Edited by Grayfox54
22 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I'd have been mighty upset had I driven 4 hours expecting an absolute auction.

Yeah, screw this. An auction means bidding and possible good pricing... I bet he is asking top dollar. Who has an estate sale when the person is still alive?

11 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Who has an estate sale when the person is still alive?

It's more common than you think.  Great way to downsize, especially for old folks who are moving onto much smaller accomadations.

Estate sale companies take a sizable chunk of the sale, upwards of 35%.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

It's more common than you think.  Great way to downsize, especially for old folks who are moving onto much smaller accomadations.

Estate sale companies take a sizable chunk of the sale, upwards of 35%.

So this is essentially an upscale yard sale with an organizing company. Lol

• Like 1
On August 6, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Grayfox54 said:

I did a little asking around and it turns out that I know a guy who knows. Its not an estate. The owner is still alive and kickin'. He 's just decided to "downsize". And from what I hear, he's very proud of his collection and its priced accordingly. 

I'm about 30 minutes away, but I'm not going. I can't afford to even look at this stuff. 

I did some asking around too and talked to someone who actually knows the collector and has been in his house and seen the collection. The collector is still alive and is well aware of the value of the items in his collection and will likely have the items priced accordingly. They are moving and he has decided to downsize. My contact said that many of the items in this collection should be in a museum, and he doesn't understand why the collector didn't contact one of the premier gun auction companies to have them sell them at auction. He also said that there will likely be people from all over coming to this sale because many people in certain circles are well aware of the quality of this collection. I live nearby too, but I'm not planning on attending...I'm afraid it will be a zoo!