Ruger 10/22

Guest edge3343

Guest edge3343

I hope that I am posting this in the correct section. I am looking for a used Ruger 10/22 . My daughter is showing an interest in learning how to shoot something more than her air rifle. I think that the focus required in target shooting will be good for her. If anyone knows where I can pick one up on the cheap I would appreciate it.

Does have a suggestion on a better rifle to teach an 11 year old girl to shoot. I was thinking of the Ruger Charger it's the 10 inch version of the 10/22 pistol with a bipod. But truth be told that would be more for me. Any thoughts?

Edited by edge3343
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that I am posting this in the correct section. I am looking for a used Ruger 10/22 . My daughter is showing an interest in learning how to shoot something more than her air rifle. I think that the focus required in target shooting will be good for her. If anyone knows where I can pick one up on the cheap appreciate it.

It's cool AFAIK, but you should also post in the Want to Buy section.

(the 30 day/50 post thing doesn't apply there).

Some folks peruse that section but not necessarily every other one.

- OS

Guest edge3343

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I was afraid that might have been the case. As you can tell I am new to this forum. Being the new guy can someone tell me how to delete this post so I can post in in the correct spot

Guest gcrookston
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I was afraid that might have been the case. As you can tell I am new to this forum. Being the new guy can someone tell me how to delete this post so I can post in in the correct spot

Right forum, good post. You are good to go.

I think it's great you are getting your daughter involved in shooting sports. Guns for America in Nashville has a New 10-22 with Pink wood in their inventory. If my 23 yr old daughter were 10 again, that would be the gun I would buy her.

There are several used 10-22 carbines at HeroGear in Winchester, last time I checked.

My first gun, @ the age of 11, was a 10-22 Carbine. I still have it. A million rounds, a thousand pigeons, a hundred rabbits, later...

Preferentially speaking, I think a 10-22 is a great choice for a first gun.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest Major Pain

Either gun will do great. The Nylon 66 will probably be harder to find and I would think a little more expensive. The Charger shoots good to but would be more to your liking and maybe not the best first rifle. I have had several 10-22's and never had a bad one.--MP

An alternative to the 10/22 is the Remington 597. I have owned both.

The advantages to the 597 is that it is a little closer to the size of a real rifle, it is very accurate right out of the box, and I got it on-sale at Bass Pro with a with a scope for $145.00.

The disadvantage is that it jambs a lot until it is broken in. (500-1000 rounds) I don芒鈧劉t know if they have fixed that yet.

I'm in the market for a 10/22 for my 9 year old daughter, too. As someone mentioned in a previous post, Guns For America has a couple 10/22's with a pink stock. The stainless (the one I want to get her) was priced at $299.00.

I'm gonna look around the gun show today. Maybe I can find a deal on a stainless model. I want to get her a pink stock, but I'd like to find a thumbhole version.

I bought a 10/22 for my son on his 12th b-day in July. Now on Jan. 1st I realize he is not learning any torwards being a marksman because every time I turn arround he is rappidfireing as fast as he can. He is working safely with it & I'm so proud that he is.

So after all that I'm not trying to steal your thread but I'm thinking of getting him a 5 shot or even a single shot bolt action. With open sights.

& no the 10/22 is not for sale!

Guest Bronker
I bought a 10/22 for my son on his 12th b-day in July. Now on Jan. 1st I realize he is not learning any torwards being a marksman because every time I turn arround he is rappidfireing as fast as he can. He is working safely with it & I'm so proud that he is.

So after all that I'm not trying to steal your thread but I'm thinking of getting him a 5 shot or even a single shot bolt action. With open sights.

& no the 10/22 is not for sale!

XD, think about the little Henry lever action as well. It was my son's first rifle. Thanks to Wii, he has gotten the 'rapid fire' bug as well. The Henry lever slows him back down when we're in the real world. Even still, safe firearms-handling is reinforced every time no matter what!!

And congrats for being man enough to be a dad, teaching your son about our heritage! Contrary to what the govt, the AMA and the teachers union says...we know how to raise our sons better than they do!

Proud of you pal!

(Talk about a thread hijack...very sorry).

Oh yeah...I have a stainless / synthetic 10/22 that I love. Its deadly for coons, cans, and squirrels! Its not for sale either...

Guest edge3343
I'm in the market for a 10/22 for my 9 year old daughter, too. As someone mentioned in a previous post, Guns For America has a couple 10/22's with a pink stock. The stainless (the one I want to get her) was priced at $299.00.

I'm gonna look around the gun show today. Maybe I can find a deal on a stainless model. I want to get her a pink stock, but I'd like to find a thumbhole version.

I am planning on going to the gun show in the morning, I went to the one last weekend and they didn't really have what I was looking for. I found one @ Guns and Leather with a target barrel for $400.00 but I think the weight might be to much for her. I'm looking for the pink thumbhole version as well, but it looks like I might end up with the base model and then upgrade the stock.

I am planning on going to the gun show in the morning, I went to the one last weekend and they didn't really have what I was looking for. I found one @ Guns and Leather with a target barrel for $400.00 but I think the weight might be to much for her. I'm looking for the pink thumbhole version as well, but it looks like I might end up with the base model and then upgrade the stock.

I just left the gunshow, and the few 10/22's were overpriced. There were a few pink ones, but none with a thimbhole stock. The regular size (one I'm looking for) were $320+ tax/tics. You can easily find them cheaper.

I'm glad I took my daughter along, because I found out that she likes the black 10/22 better than the stainless. That will save me a few bucks.

I've decided to buy the cheapest black 10/22 I can find, then order me a pink thumbhole stock. That seems to be the best/cheapest route.

• 3 weeks later...
It's cool AFAIK, but you should also post in the Want to Buy section.

(the 30 day/50 post thing doesn't apply there).

Some folks peruse that section but not necessarily every other one.

- OS

I'm a new member and can't find a Want to Buy section, and I've searched.

(I want to buy a 22 target pistol)

All I can find there is "Ads posted by our members for items For Sale or Trade." I expected to find it in "Categories", but it's not there either. At the bottom below classifieds, what does it actually say?

All I can find there is "Ads posted by our members for items For Sale or Trade." I expected to find it in "Categories", but it's not there either. At the bottom below classifieds, what does it actually say?

Don't use vBClassified link from top of page, just normal forum view, toward bottom:

wanttobuy.jpg

Guest Brian@GunDepot

I'm surprised I don't see a recommendation for a Marlin Model 60 (or 795 if you want clip fed) here.

The Model 995 (now model 795 w/ syn stock) was my first rifle at age 12, and I've shot over 100k rounds easily through it, and still have it. Still as accurate as the day I opened it at Christmas.

Guest RISC777

If you, or anyone else, opt for a 597, let me know and I'll help with what simple tweaks you might be interested in. They are great out of the box, but also are simple and enjoyable to work on/with.

Guest macmonkey

I bought a brand new 10/22 at Bass Pro Shops 2 weeks ago for around $175. Not sure if anyone is selling used for much cheaper but I thought it was very reasonable.

Guest Jcochran88
I bought a brand new 10/22 at Bass Pro Shops 2 weeks ago for around $175. Not sure if anyone is selling used for much cheaper but I thought it was very reasonable.

I haven't even seen a used one for that price.