Lost Debit Card

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

So my arms were full at Lowes today and I left my debit card there (don't ask me how --- Dolph!).

Whoever picked it up went to Ross' and bought $497.00 in clothing... At least they were bargain minded.:tinfoil:

I feel bad that 1st Tennessee is going to credit it back to my account. Bit stupid on my part.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear that 1st TN will make it right. :tinfoil: Always wondered what would happen in a situtation like that, especially since that's who I do most of my banking with. Debit cards have always freaked me out a little, even if I do use it all the time.

Don't feel too bad - dropped, picked and used = stolen as far as money goes.

Edited by Garufa

Glad everything worked out for you. I use to band at Suntrust, same kinda situation. Said they would credit my account but it would take three days...in the mean time I would be charged that 30 dollars a day over draft fee...so I had to cough up 300 just to get back to zero...Anyways I bank local now with Frankewing...much better service.

I dropped mine somehow at Office Max a couple of years ago and did not realize it until a few hours later. $400+ worth of gasoline at an Amoco station in South Memphis-- SunTrust put it all back in the account after a couple of days.

Glad everything worked out for you. I use to band at Suntrust, same kinda situation. Said they would credit my account but it would take three days...in the mean time I would be charged that 30 dollars a day over draft fee...so I had to cough up 300 just to get back to zero...Anyways I bank local now with Frankewing...much better service.

I had the same experience at Suntrust. I no longer bank there.

I do not believe there is any way possible to get cash from an ATM without the PIN.

It must have been written on the card or else whoever stole it knew the number.

Instead of a signature I always write in that space PIC. I.D. ONLY. The clerk does not always look and ask for ID though. I more hope that the person who steals it or finds it will be discouraged from using the card that way. Way more often than not as long as the clerk handles the card I get asked for ID. But a lot of stores now days have a self scan type of pay system. Even if it is run as credit the clerk does not handle the card.

Best advice is to take your time and put the card away before leaving the check out area, even if it means the guy behind you has to wait 30 seconds extra.

Well, I just don't get it...

I have a couple of bank/debit cards, don't use them much, but have.

Before Sam's starting doing Mastercard/Visa, used to use it there, have used at Kroger, etc. In every case, PIN was required. And of course PIN required at ATM (for withdrawal OR deposit), the main place I ever use them.

I don't see how you or a merchant could run as a credit card. If you could charge more than you have in your account, then it's not really a debit card. And certainly no way for a thief to use at ATM unless he has also somehow stolen your PIN.

- OS

You can run most debit cards as credit cards- it costs the merchant more but it requires no pin input. It will not charge more than you have in your account and it debits the money immediately.

I am a merchant- I accept credit cards at my office. However, being small (1 man office) I did not buy all the equipment required to run debit cards, so if someone wants to pay me using a debit card I have to run it as a credit card- no pin input required, but I do have to put in the 3 digit code from the back of the card.

You can run most debit cards as credit cards- it costs the merchant more but it requires no pin input. It will not charge more than you have in your account and it debits the money immediately.

I am a merchant- I accept credit cards at my office. However, being small (1 man office) I did not buy all the equipment required to run debit cards, so if someone wants to pay me using a debit card I have to run it as a credit card- no pin input required, but I do have to put in the 3 digit code from the back of the card.

Wow, thanks. I didn't know any of that.

- OS