res308

Holster selection help needed

Need some help with holster selections. I'm wanting to buy my boys a couple of holsters for Christmas. I need to find a light bearing holster for my son's Springfield XDM 4.5, and this one is proving to be the most difficult. He wants somewhat of a mid-ride type holster, but I'm having a whale of a time finding anything, especially from Bladetech. The only way I've found anything from them is to go on their site and overpay. 

The other will be for my other son's Glock 19 with a Streamlight TLR4. That one probably won't be so difficult.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I googled springfield xdm 4.5 holster and a number of them popped up.

I went through several holsters before I settled on the Don Hume JIT Slide. Anything I carry rides in one of them.

don_hume_JIT_Slide.jpg

Edited by xsubsailor

Finding a light bearing holster is a b!^@($.  You almost have to go to the holster mfr, and see what weapon/light combinations they use, before buying a light.  The TLR1 and Surefire X300 seem to be more common than others.  I have a TLR 2G laser/light, and still haven't found an option. 

Go to the MFR sites and use the holster finder function.  Dara holsters has some listed.  Bravo Concealment has a couple.  The other recommendations were good, too, Comp Tac, Safariland.

As a holster maker I can say light bearing holsters are a pita. If you were going for kydex there's a company called Long's Shadow that makes some really unusual combos of light bearing holsters. Another one is Midwest Tactical Solutions and he does nice work. Past that it's usual Safariland, Bravo, Raven, etc.

The best solution would be to buy some Kydex, leather, Chicago screws, and clips and make your own holster. After being disappointed in many commercial holsters, I bought a DIY kit and made my own. It was okay, but I'm a skinny guy so it still didn't quite fit me. Then, I bought the above materials and made my own holster from scratch... leather against the body and Kydex on the outside. If the tilt isn't quite right, I just punch another hole and move the clips. 

I have made a leather holster for a Smith & Wesson with a laser, I informed the buyer that it would look a little more like a pouch. He ordered it and liked it, it had good retention for what it is. It can be seen on the first page of my FB page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should've specified that both needed to be kydex. I don't fool with making kydex, but I do use kydex stuff. I wish they'd both wanted leather and I would've custom made them for them. That would've given me a lot of joy right there. But they want kydex. Young whippersnappers.

I did find some good looking kydex holsters made for each specific gun/light combo from Blue Line Concealment out of Arizona. He said the should ship out next Tuesday or Wednesday. We'll see.