CB radio help

I'm usually driving to Nashville about every weekend now for my side job. I normally run up 24 from Clarksville. I've been wanting to put a CB in my truck. I know from my truck driving days that it can be a good tool to sometimes get a heads up on traffic problems. A friend of mine gave me a Cobra 29 (a little bigger than I had in mind, but it was free). I have a Wilson 2000 antenna, but I don't have the mount for the antenna, and I need coax. It's been several years since I've fooled with any of this. Where can I get the stuff I need around the Clarksville area, maybe Dickson area, or on the way to Nashville?

I’d be curious to see some mounts on pick-ups. My wife has a Silverado with a tonneau cover (so I can’t just use the bed rails) that I would like to put a mount on. I have a Wilson Mag mount but the wife doesn’t want it because it scratches the paint.

You probably have a truck stop around Clarksville, but if not there are two down in the 80’s (MM) on 24 towards Nashville.

I picked up a Wilson mag mount yesterday evening at the truck stop on 24 at exit 24. These are handy to keep around and I needed one anyway. I'll work on getting the SWRs set this weekend.

I'm really working toward mounting my Wilson 2000 to my bed. I'm in the same situation with the bed cover. It's off the truck right now, so I have access to where I need to be. I'm brainstorming on a mount design so I can mount the antenna and put the bed cover back on.

I still need to find an actual CB repair shop to find some of the stuff I need.

• Moderators

Finding an actual CB shop? That’s gonna be a bit of a tall order. I can’t think of any in your neck of the woods. Hell, even as a driver it is getting harder and harder to find one to have any work done, let alone quality work. 

1 hour ago, res308 said:

I picked up a Wilson mag mount yesterday evening at the truck stop on 24 at exit 24. These are handy to keep around and I needed one anyway. I'll work on getting the SWRs set this weekend.

I'm really working toward mounting my Wilson 2000 to my bed. I'm in the same situation with the bed cover. It's off the truck right now, so I have access to where I need to be. I'm brainstorming on a mount design so I can mount the antenna and put the bed cover back on.

I still need to find an actual CB repair shop to find some of the stuff I need.

This is the closest place I could find to your location. Has a 5 star rating but I don't know anything about them.

Chuck's CB Shop

(43) · Electronics Store

98.1 mi · Holladay, TN

(731) 847-9296

Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

A friend of mine runs a CB in his pickup and he also has a Black Bed Cover. He got a flat square piece of sheet steel, painted it black to match the cover and Gorilla Glued it to the bed cover and he uses a magnetic base CB antenna and can remove it and put it behind the seat of his truck when he is not using it. Says he can talk about 25 to 50 miles on it and more if he sticks it on the roof rather than the bed.

• Like 1

Back in the day when CB's were a hot item I had one in my Dodge Ramcharger It was a Cobra 30 Channel with a power mic, 75 watt tube type leanear under the seat and 106 inches of steel whip antenna mounted to rear bumper. If I wanted to say something and channel 19 was full of traffic I would turn on the box under the seat and when I keyed the power mic and said something everyone heard what I hae to say for about 100 miles in ever direction. Woulld make folks mad from time to time but when you say Breaker Breaker 19 and get ignored that box got plenty of attention. I could be in Kingston Springs and get  a smokie report from 25 miles out of Memphis on I-40. I use to talk skip at night to folks in about 27 or 28 different states as far away as Colorado. Had a lot of fun with them back then. A friend of mine that is still driving a big rig is still using my Cobra right now. It is about 40 years old and still working. Bought Ramcharger in 1977 and Cobra in 1978.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Back in the day when CB's were a hot item I had one in my Dodge Ramcharger It was a Cobra 30 Channel with a power mic, 75 watt tube type leanear under the seat and 106 inches of steel whip antenna mounted to rear bumper. If I wanted to say something and channel 19 was full of traffic I would turn on the box under the seat and when I keyed the power mic and said something everyone heard what I hae to say for about 100 miles in ever direction. Woulld make folks mad from time to time but when you say Breaker Breaker 19 and get ignored that box got plenty of attention. I could be in Kingston Springs and get  a smokie report from 25 miles out of Memphis on I-40. I use to talk skip at night to folks in about 27 or 28 different states as far away as Colorado. Had a lot of fun with them back then. A friend of mine that is still driving a big rig is still using my Cobra right now. It is about 40 years old and still working. Bought Ramcharger in 1977 and Cobra in 1978.

Good ole stuff right there!

4 minutes ago, res308 said:

Good ole stuff right there!

I was a member of the Dixie Mud Hoggs 4X4 club and  I had dropped a few bucks in the drive trane and added Detroit Lockers to differentials giving her great traction in the mud. Also had 6 inch lift kit and 15X35 Monster Mudders on her. Never got her stuck but got requests from other guys in the club to come pull them out of a mud hole they were stuck in. Had a lot of fun back then. Some great memories right there. Sold the Dodge in 1989 to a guy and got almost what I paid for truck and all the extras. CB stuff did not go with her when she went to new home.

8 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I’d be curious to see some mounts on pick-ups. My wife has a Silverado with a tonneau cover (so I can’t just use the bed rails) that I would like to put a mount on. I have a Wilson Mag mount but the wife doesn’t want it because it scratches the paint.

You probably have a truck stop around Clarksville, but if not there are two down in the 80’s (MM) on 24 towards Nashville.

I put a small piece of garbage bag plastic underneath mine yrs ago. Set it on top of the cab. Worked!