Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gregintenn

Yellow Bass

Recommended Posts

It was too nice to go to work today, so off to the lake I go.

I catch a fish, and toss it back thinking it was a stripe. Then another, then another.

They don;t look right.

I look in my fishing guide and find they are yellow bass. That's a new one on my as far as I can remember.

Since there's no limit on them, I began throwing them in the livewell. I ended up with a bunch of them. They are now filleted, and soaking in salt water.

Anybody here ever eaten them? I hope they are passable as food.

They sure were fun to catch anyway.

I also brought back some catfish and large bluegill I only saw one more boat all day. It's gonna be hard to get up and go back to work tomorrow.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are good, I used to fish them quite often.  Them and hybrids, taste the same to me, are abundant in the places I used to fish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found these on a mud flat where I usually catch catfish. They sure were fun to catch. They'd hit as fast as I could cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their good to eat Greg. Yellow bellies are a smaller version of stripe. When you catch 1 or 2 you can probably catch a hundred or more as they are schooling fish and fun to catch. Back when my boys were little I would take them out in the boat, tie each of them on a rooster tail and find a school of them yellow bellies and they would catch fish till they were tired of catchng fish and we would aways bring home a mess for a fish fry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took two boxes of nightcrawlers. I caught them until I ran out of nightcrawlers. We'll have them for supper tomorrow night. Man, the wrather was great today. I wish it would stay like this for a while.

 

I never did get a largemouth to hit anything.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I took two boxes of nightcrawlers. I caught them until I ran out of nightcrawlers. We'll have them for supper tomorrow night. Man, the wrather was great today. I wish it would stay like this for a while.

 

I never did get a largemouth to hit anything.

I used Rooster Tails with my boys because they would have went through night crawlers like water through a strainer. When we would get in a big school they would catch a fish on every cast and they got tired of catching before the fish quit biting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Their good to eat Greg. Yellow bellies are a smaller version of stripe. When you catch 1 or 2 you can probably catch a hundred or more as they are schooling fish and fun to catch. Back when my boys were little I would take them out in the boat, tie each of them on a rooster tail and find a school of them yellow bellies and they would catch fish till they were tired of catchng fish and we would aways bring home a mess for a fish fry.

You were right, my friend. They were very good. I'll be bringing them home when I can from now on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You were right, my friend. They were very good. I'll be bringing them home when I can from now on.

I knew you would like them if you like fish. The good thing about them is they are plentiful and when you find them schooled up you can catch a bunch of them quick. Sometimes you will find them mixed in with the bigger stripe and be able to catch some of them and have a mixed bag of fish to eat. From now through about mid November you should be able to find schools of them pretty easy in the creeks on points in shallow water as the water temps drop. Next time try rooster tails in White or Chartruese in the medium size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the  early 80's we used to dip for shad at the entrance of the Big Sandy river where it empties into Ky Lake under the rr and hwy levy . Make a net out of chicken wire about 2 ft in dia to dip the shad for catfishing. One of the other fish caught was the yellow bass. Friend  and I went at sunrise one Sat. morning to dip some shad , was a young couple that had fished there all night having caught a few hand size yellow bass, so as we caught the large 10-12 in yellow bass we gave them to the young couple to fill their stringer. Never ate them myself. Always thought  the flesh was soft like trout. Probably not legal anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, owejia said:

Back in the  early 80's we used to dip for shad at the entrance of the Big Sandy river where it empties into Ky Lake under the rr and hwy levy . Make a net out of chicken wire about 2 ft in dia to dip the shad for catfishing. One of the other fish caught was the yellow bass. Friend  and I went at sunrise one Sat. morning to dip some shad , was a young couple that had fished there all night having caught a few hand size yellow bass, so as we caught the large 10-12 in yellow bass we gave them to the young couple to fill their stringer. Never ate them myself. Always thought  the flesh was soft like trout. Probably not legal anymore.

Netting shad for bait is still legal. They have casting nets people use these days to catch shad bait fish. Yellow Bellies are legal if caught in a casting net as they are not considered a game fish but are good eating for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL! One didn't get cooked. My wife was complaining this evening about something stinking in the basement. After a bit of investigating, I found one of them tucked safely in the corner of the livewell in the boat. WOW!:eek:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! One didn't get cooked. My wife was complaining this evening about something stinking in the basement. After a bit of investigating, I found one of them tucked safely in the corner of the livewell in the boat. WOW!:eek:

Pulled a "Grumpy Old Man" on your self?🤣:taunt:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RED333 said:

Pulled a "Grumpy Old Man" on your self?🤣:taunt:

Fraid so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! One didn't get cooked. My wife was complaining this evening about something stinking in the basement. After a bit of investigating, I found one of them tucked safely in the corner of the livewell in the boat. WOW!:eek:

Someone apparently fumbled a squirrel fish coming out of my livewell recently, and it got stuck in the scupper. 

It was a bear to get that thing out of a 2’ hose. 

And, fish get to stinking fast in this heat. 

Did you decide on a new boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Someone apparently fumbled a squirrel fish coming out of my livewell recently, and it got stuck in the scupper. 

It was a bear to get that thing out of a 2’ hose. 

And, fish get to stinking fast in this heat. 

Did you decide on a new boat?

No. I guess I'll just stick with this one for the time being. I don't get to go much, and it does everything I need a boat to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

No. I guess I'll just stick with this one for the time being. I don't get to go much, and it does everything I need a boat to do.

That’s probably a wise choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

That’s probably a wise choice. 

Now you sound like my wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Now you sound like my wife.

I didn’t say that I like it :)

heck, I’d love to trade up to a twin engine boat that I could make the run to the tortugas in.  But, I’d also like to stay married.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I didn’t say that I like it :)

heck, I’d love to trade up to a twin engine boat that I could make the run to the tortugas in.  But, I’d also like to stay married.  

But if you are single you would have more time to fish...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend that drives truck for a living. He owns the Peterbilt and flat bed trailer and make big bucks cause he takes the loads most drivers dont want. He spend a lot of time in California and lives in east Tennessee. He bought a big beautiful home on 10 acres of land and paid it off in 7 years. so at age 30 his house and his rig were both paid for.  He loves to fish and owned an older model bass boat but was in great shape. Then in a whirl wind courtship he was married. It was not going to last and everyone could see it but him. 4 years into it things began to go south. He gave her anything she wanted new car, money to go shopping a beautiful home to live in and she new he was a road driver when she met him but she didn't know he enjoyed fishing until he would come in off the road and spend time doing things with her and then he would go fishing.

She finally put it on the line. It's either me of that damn boat. In order to keep her happy he sells the boat and even gives her the money he got from it. She use the money to pay a divorce lawyer to divorce him. He was packing his bag to go back on the road when they served him with the papers. She told him she would be out of his house by the time he got back home so he called his nephew and his wife and ask them to come and stay at the house while she was packing to leave.

When he got back in town, he put the house up for sale and it sold quick. Next time he got home he bought 5 acres of land and had a 1 bedroom Log Cabin with the bedroom being a master bed room for a king size bed. There is a garage beside the Cabin that is 30X30 and in the garage is a New Red FX Skeeter Bass Boat and beside it is a new Red Chevy truck to take it to the lake. There is a sign over the front door of the cabin that reads. You can lay here but you can't stay here!! He did everything with his house money and had change left over. He just turned 36 and loving life........LOL  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I married, I made a lifetime vow, and I intend to keep it.

A couple of weeks ago, I would have brought home a new Indian motorcycle, but she had a fit. I had no idea previously she felt the s way about bikes,  but whatever. I'm certain she's given up a lot t for me. I

She isn't opposed to a boat, but isn't excited about one either. I decided against that.

Tomorrow I intend to go to an auction where ther is a cherry 68  Mistang. She likes it. I sort of do, but it's a 6cyl car. If it goes cheap enough, I can put a 302 in it.

Marriage is give and take. I can say I wouldn't have a small percentage of what I have today were it now t for her.

Damn that Indian was a sharp bike though!!!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gregintenn said:

When I married, I made a lifetime vow, and I intend to keep it.

A couple of weeks ago, I would have brought home a new Indian motorcycle, but she had a fit. I had no idea previously she felt the s way about bikes,  but whatever. I'm certain she's given up a lot t for me. I

She isn't opposed to a boat, but isn't excited about one either. I decided against that.

Tomorrow I intend to go to an auction where ther is a cherry 68  Mistang. She likes it. I sort of do, but it's a 6cyl car. If it goes cheap enough, I can put a 302 in it.

Marriage is give and take. I can say I wouldn't have a small percentage of what I have today were it now t for her.

Damn that Indian was a sharp bike though!!!

When my friend got married he planned on staying married for ever. He made great money and she wanted for nothing she didn't get including giving up his boat and nothing was enough for her. She did mention that she wished he could be around more and he said he did to but there was no way he could not make a living and put food on the table. He didn't divorce her. She divorced him. Now he has a complete new outlook on marriage. He says it's for married people. He is getting ready to buy a new  Peterbilt next month. He will be trading in his 2010 on a 2018. He said when he trades trucks the 2010 will have been to the moon and back and have 480,000+ miles on it.

He is contracted with Land Star freight Company. They give him a load going to California and when he unloads In California He goes and picks up another load they have waiting for him out there to bring back east. He hauls two big Ford vans west and brings a load of Hot Tubs back east. 

He began driving for his Uncle at age 18 and at age 20 bought his first rig of his own. He just turned 36 years old  and is debt free. When he buys his new Peterbilt he will write a check for it. His contract with Land Star ends in 10 years and in 10 years he plans on retiring and going fishing. I asked him about how confortable he felt with leaving his cabin in the woods with the truck and boat and just an alarm system and he said he also has a childhood friend he went to school with staying at the Cabin as added protection and an AR15. His friend is disabled and Steven kind of looks out for him and visa versa. Stevens Nephew makes sure there is plenty of food there for Cecil and checks in on him often.

Well, I'm sure folks are tired of reading such a long post but I am bored today so typing helps me with that. Hope ya'll understand................:panic:  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

Footer title

This is an example of a list.

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines