Jump to content

The Whiskey and Spirits Thread


Raoul

Recommended Posts

As I posted a couple weeks ago, I am new to this whole bourbon thing. So I figured I should post up a pic of what I have on hand, now that I've acquired a few bottles. I've enjoyed everything I tried so far. Not one disappointment. At my age it is not very often I find something totally new to me, that I enjoy.

And the Drambuie is always stocked, because....well just because.

booze-1110795.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I'm looking forward to a revival of fruit flavored vodkas. Something to keep the schlubs occupied.

Just picked this up.  Going to have save it for a special occasion.

Yes they are.  On one hand I like to think that someone in government has some common sense and knows that happy subjects... I mean, citizens... are a good thing to have during tumultuous times.

Posted Images

As I posted a couple weeks ago, I am new to this whole bourbon thing. So I figured I should post up a pic of what I have on hand, now that I've acquired a few bottles. I've enjoyed everything I tried so far. Not one disappointment. At my age it is not very often I find something totally new to me, that I enjoy.

And the Drambuie is always stocked, because....well just because.

booze-1110795.jpg

Some very good choices there. I'm not a huge fan of Bulleit and haven't tried Barrell Whiskey, but I love the Barrell Bourbon batches that I have. Elijah Craig 12 year is one of my favorites. The new NAS version isn't quite as nice as the 12 year old Elijah Craig, but it's still pretty good stuff. Dickel Barrel Select store picks are usually always good. I always have Drambuie in the house too, since a Rusty Nail is one of my favorite cocktails. Looks like you need some Scotch or Irish Whiskey to go with all that Drambuie though.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Link to post

Picked up another Japanese whiskey. If you like a smokey flavor then you will like this.
b8627f2c73b23a1b338a96f9e90294f9.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 2
Link to post
4 hours ago, Bob T said:

As I posted a couple weeks ago, I am new to this whole bourbon thing. So I figured I should post up a pic of what I have on hand, now that I've acquired a few bottles. I've enjoyed everything I tried so far. Not one disappointment. At my age it is not very often I find something totally new to me, that I enjoy.

And the Drambuie is always stocked, because....well just because.

 

You prefer the hand barrel select over regular barrel select?  I've still got about 3/4 a bottle of the Frugal McDougal hand barrel select from almost 2 years ago.  The barrel select seems to evaporate much more often.

Link to post
22 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

Some very good choices there. I'm not a huge fan of Bulleit and haven't tried Barrell Whiskey, but I love the Barrell Bourbon batches that I have. Elijah Craig 12 year is one of my favorites. The new NAS version isn't quite as nice as the 12 year old Elijah Craig, but it's still pretty good stuff. Dickel Barrel Select store picks are usually always good. I always have Drambuie in the house too, since a Rusty Nail is one of my favorite cocktails. Looks like you need some Scotch or Irish Whiskey to go with all that Drambuie though.

Had some Scotch, but I only kept it for guests. I gave what I had to my bother-in-law, when we packed up to move here. My Dad always loved Scotch, but I never cared for it much. I guess that is why I never really gave bourbon a shot until this year.

I never tried a Rusty Nail, always drank my Drambuie straight up.

In other news, I was out and about today and picked up a bottle of Larceny to try.

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Sam1 said:

You prefer the hand barrel select over regular barrel select? 

Couldn't tell ya.  Just started drinking Bourbon, and that is only bottle of Dickel I've tried.

Link to post
Had some Scotch, but I only kept it for guests. I gave what I had to my bother-in-law, when we packed up to move here. My Dad always loved Scotch, but I never cared for it much. I guess that is why I never really gave bourbon a shot until this year.
I never tried a Rusty Nail, always drank my Drambuie straight up.
In other news, I was out and about today and picked up a bottle of Larceny to try.

I didn't think I liked Scotch when I was younger either...mostly because all I had tried was cheaper blends or extremely young (NAS) single malts. You should try a glass of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year or Macallan 12 year sometime. They are reasonably priced, and not peated, so they are good entry Scotches for beginners. Good Scotch might surprise you. I love good Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey too, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something else.

I like a Rusty Nail better than Drambuie straight up because Drambuie by itself is too sweet for me. Since it's a Scotch based liquor, you just add Scotch to cut the sweetness, and it's called a Rusty Nail. A blended Scotch like Dewar's or JW Red is usually used in bars to make Rusty Nails, but I sometimes like to use Jameson's Irish Whiskey to make a Rusty Nail. I prefer Dewar's or Famous Grouse over JW Red if you want to use a blended Scotch, and I wouldn't ever drink JW Red neat. JW Black will give you a hint of peat smokiness if you want to experiment a little, and I will drink JW Black neat. Cheers, and I think you will enjoy your new Larceny purchase.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Link to post
4 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:


I didn't think I liked Scotch when I was younger either...mostly because all I had tried was cheaper blends or extremely young (NAS) single malts. You should try a glass of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year or Macallan 12 year sometime. They are reasonably priced, and not peated, so they are good entry Scotches for beginners. Good Scotch might surprise you. I love good Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey too, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something else.

I like a Rusty Nail better than Drambuie straight up because Drambuie by itself is too sweet for me. Since it's a Scotch based liquor, you just add Scotch to cut the sweetness, and it's called a Rusty Nail. A blended Scotch like Dewar's or JW Red is usually used in bars to make Rusty Nails, but I sometimes like to use Jameson's Irish Whiskey to make a Rusty Nail. I prefer Dewar's or Famous Grouse over JW Red if you want to use a blended Scotch, and I wouldn't ever drink JW Red neat. JW Black will give you a hint of peat smokiness if you want to experiment a little, and I will drink JW Black neat. Cheers, and I think you will enjoy your new Larceny purchase.

Good information, thank you.  You are correct, my Scotch experience is Cutty Sark over 35 years ago.  I guess I should give it another go.

Link to post
Good information, thank you.  You are correct, my Scotch experience is Cutty Sark over 35 years ago.  I guess I should give it another go.

Hell, if Cutty Sark is all you've ever tried, you might even be impressed with Glenlivet or Glenfiddich 12 year old Scotch, but do yourself a favor and try the other two I mentioned. Cheers!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, Bob T said:

Couldn't tell ya.  Just started drinking Bourbon, and that is only bottle of Dickel I've tried.

Give the "barrel select" a try.  It's cheaper, and much better in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to post

My daughter just got from a cruise today and brought me some Dominican Republic whisky.
bc23e71758ba4fb83478bed1c5e4ae85.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 1
Link to post
My daughter just got from a cruise today and brought me some Dominican Republic whisky.
bc23e71758ba4fb83478bed1c5e4ae85.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I am sure the people in the Dominican Republic are great at lots of things. Turns out that making whisky is not one of them.
[emoji27]



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4
Link to post

I didn't care for Woodford Reserve to be honest.

 

Larceny is still my favorite at this time, but plain old Jim Beam has become a rather affordable favorite after a day of work to unwind.

 

We use a local farmer's land for our 4H Shooting Sports Practice, and they just recently built a distillery. They bought some prebarreled bourbon prior, and are marketing in under the name Bloody Butcher. I thought about picking a bottle up just to support a local who supports us, but $75 a fifth from an unknown kinda scared me.

Edited by Murgatroy
Link to post
On 3/29/2017 at 7:10 PM, KahrMan said:

 


I am sure the people in the Dominican Republic are great at lots of things. Turns out that making whisky is not one of them.
emoji27.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

Eh, it was the thought that counted at least.  lol

 

 

On 3/29/2017 at 8:33 PM, Bob T said:

Had this tonight...I really like it.

booze-1110799.jpg

Solid choice!

 

 

18 minutes ago, Bob T said:

Picked up something new to me, today.

booze-1110805.jpg

Another solid choice!

 

Link to post
20 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Eh, it was the thought that counted at least.  lol

 

As far as she will know it was delicious. Lol

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Caught my eye so I bought it.  Not bad.  A bit on the light side and has a slight sweetness to it that makes me want to have another glass.  Guess that's not a bad thing ^_^

IMG_20170417_193838.jpg

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

So this afternoon I was at a gentleman's home and I noticed his bar selection was notably missing any bourbon. I commented on this and we began a discussion about my newest hobby. Turns out he kept his bourbon selection in a cabinet upstairs. He then invited me to sample some of his collection. 

I read an article the other day that suggested a Glencairn Glass as a good way to enjoy bourbon. I typically use a rocks glass and drink it neat. The gentleman served me in a Glencairn and they was kind enough to send me home with it. It really makes a world of difference in taste. Even with my old standby Jim Beam it really livened it up.

But on to the selection of bourbons we sampled. I mentioned that Larceny was my 'high dollar' bourbon and Jim Beam was my budget bourbon. He then broke out names I have only heard rumors of. His budget bourbon is Old Forrester, which I will pick up some to test in depth. However it was his high end bourbons that blew me away. And he was more than glad to let me sample. I was not aware of AH Hirsch Reserve, but he versed me on it, and then poured me some. Wow is all I can say. He then poured me some Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve. While it was good, it was nothing like the Hirsch. He agreed that he preferred the Hirsch as well.

 

So I just had to share that, as I got home and read about the extreme rarity and scarcity of both bottles and understand now why he kept them in a locked cabinet and poured considerably less of those than the Old Forrester.

 

I am now enjoying some Eagle Rare in my new Glancairn Glass.

Link to post
5 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I read an article the other day that suggested a Glencairn Glass as a good way to enjoy bourbon. I typically use a rocks glass and drink it neat. The gentleman served me in a Glencairn and they was kind enough to send me home with it. It really makes a world of difference in taste. Even with my old standby Jim Beam it really livened it up.

I would suggest that the difference in taste you are experiencing in the Glencairn is most likely the concentration of aroma from out of the glass. I will only use a rocks glass anymore for mixed drinks or something I know I will have on the rocks, otherwise I'm exclusively using the Glencairn glass because I love the smells I find now almost as much as the taste. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines