Handgun Carry Permit Database

Guest RedDog

I am in there, the date of issue is wrong.

I noticed that the date on mine was the date of my renewal, not the date of initial issue.

I sent a furious email to my NRA F-rated state representative, Kent Coleman (one of Jimmy Naifeh's minions)--no response. I sent an upset email to my NRA A-rated state senator, Jim Tracy, and got two replies: one agreeing that it was outrageous and a second stating that he was going to be a co-sponsor of the Senate bill to make these records confidential.

Edited by Falcon1
While that is very tempting I strongly recommend that no one does that. Keep it on a professional basis and bombard their workplace with letters. Not their homes!

The last thing you want is a "Journalist", who has the "power of the press" behind him or her feeling threatened by a bunch of crazy, gun-totin', sanctioned by the Constitution and laws of Tennessee, good upstanding, law abiding citizens invading HIS (or HER) privacy. They would react, as all people do when threatened, and they can make life a hell.

BTW I thought about this and came back to post this. Garufa I have no problem with you, but that statement just pissed me off.

These people had ZERO problem posting our information out there for any thug to easily obtain. Now let's say someone gets some names, then they do a little legwork and get addresses. Now they KNOW where I live, they KNOW I've at least got one gun, so they don't take chances when they crash in.

I've got a wife man. Most of you have kids. Now I want you to picture a dead body at your feet,a bullet hole a few inches above your kid's bedpost, and the cops pull your info out of the perp's pocket from this database and the white pages. How upset will you be then? How worried will you be about some liberal piss-ant editor making your life Hell?

These people need to understand what they are doing when they do stuff like this. This puts lives in jeopardy. This is not journalism. It's printing with an agenda.

I hope a lawsuit is brought, because I'll be in on it and I want to stand up in court and tell ever one who had anything to do with this what I think of them.

On the web site, if you go back up a level by clicking the "Return to Data Center" link, you see that the HCP data base is mixed right in with various "Find Criminals" or Look up a Tradgedy" type databases. As if we are the bad guys. <No sureprize there though>

Also on that page under the link to the HCP database, it says:

In the Volunteer State, 189,178 people have state-issued permits to carry handguns. Find out who in your community is armed.

As if this is a conclusive list of all the armed people in the state. In reality, it only contains law abiding citizens, not the thugs.

Devil's Advocate- We can look up who has licenses to practice healthcare, property taxes on homes, bankruptcies, marriage licenses, divorce notices, sex offenders, inmates at the jail, property transfers, mortgages, arrests, warrants, accident reports, and a *****load of other things -- why not be able to look up HCP holders and eventually driver's license holders as well?

I sent this to the Commercial Appeal

I have a very dear friend who is being stalked. Now not only does he have her address (which he already had), he has her date of birth, and he knows she is armed. She was scared before but she was dealing with it because she knew she had the element of surprise. I want to thank the Commercial Appeal for caring enough to share this information with her stalker. Her blood is on your hands now. I pray nothing happens to her because of this. You get a good nights sleep and dream about what you have done.

Edited by gfd_703

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=179x4496

Check out the link above about HB0053 on the "Democratic Underground". Can you believe these people think that they need our address so they can prevent another Virginia Tech style shooting? So what do they do - check out everybody they meet and if they own a firearm they run away from them? Change jobs if your coworker owns a gun? Check every morning to see if somebody in class legally bought a firearm or got a HCP yesterday - then quit school? How stupid can people get?!?!

Since January 6th there's been 3 posts on the subject. Since yesterday there's been 110 here! I guess we'll see if majority still rules...

Guest Terry J

Im on there as well and it infuriates me. I try to somewhat stay off the grid just because of my ex and her issues with the fact i have custody of my kids and she dont but with the way things are nowadays these kinds of things just invites Department of children services to have more of an excuse to make things even harder for people like me. I have already sent a letter myself and know several other people who cancelled their subscriptions. Hit them where it hurts!! has already been said but nevertheless true!!!

This database is searchable by city, or by zip code. While it is out of date somewhat, it is still poses a serious threat to everyone in the state.

Unless that is you already OC your firearm. With this database being up, everyone might as well carry openly, because every Tom, Dick and harry can find you anyway.

I encourage you to do an experiment--take a few names from the database and locate a telephone number or address using http://www.whitepages.com/5116 and then use google earth to give you an upclose and personal view of their homes....

And the commercial appeal didn't do anything wrong--this is the fault of the state, but more so of the people for putting up with it. Everyone might as well go to OC'ing, because the availablility of the database and of the names and locations of every permit holder in the state makes carrying concealed a moot point, because everyone already knows.

Looks like the NRA has joined the fray.

ila_logo1.jpg

ILA_indx_nHead44.gif

ila_backtop66.jpg

nra_hblank.jpg

Memphis News Site Publishes Tennessee Concealed Carry Permit Holder List

Call CommercialAppeal.com today and urge them to remove this intrusion on personal information!

A Memphis based online news website, CommercialAppeal.com, has posted Tennessee’s right to carry permit holder list online! CommercialAppeal.com apparently feels that the “public’s right to know†outweighs your right to privacy. Their irresponsible decision to publish this list has made it easier for criminals to target law-abiding gun owners.

Shockingly when the list was first published, it even included permit holders home address! However, bowing to criticism, CommercialAppeal.com removed the address but still included a permit holder’s full name, birth date, city, zip code, and the issue and expiration date of their permit.

To view this list, please click here.

Let’s keep the pressure on to have this list removed completely by contacting CommercialAppeal.com IMMEDIATELY, as well as its President and Publisher, Joseph Pepe.

CommercialAppeal.com can be reached at (901) 529-2345 or 1-800-444-6397.

Joseph Pepe, President and Publisher, 901-529-2205

via email by clicking here

Also, contact your State Legislators TODAY and respectfully urge them to support concealed carry permit holder confidentiality legislation.To find contact information for your State Legislators, please click here.

nra_email_divideline.jpg

rss_button.gif xml.gif

Please do not reply to this email as you will not receive a response. This email is a broadcast email generated by an automated system. To contact NRA-ILA call 800-392-8683.

Address: 11250 Waples Mill Road Fairfax, Virginia 22030

Edited by Reservoir Dog
The site now only shows the birth year and not the birth date.

TN BUBBA

I sent an email the Commercial Appeal yesterday complaining about displaying full names and complete dates of birth, as this could be used for identity theft purposes. I hope others sent similar emails. Looks like it did some good.

I feel somewhat better now that addresses and complete DOBs are gone, but we need to get legislation passed to prevent this type of disclosure in the first place.

Guest HexHead

Here's lets put this on the internet...

Parcel ID: G0232D B00042

Property Address: 3195 WETHERBY DR

Owner Name: PEPE JOSEPH & JULIE

Owner Address: 3195 WETHERBY DR

Owner City/State/Zip: GERMANTOWN, TN 38139

Date of Sale Sales Price Deed Number Instrument Type

01/17/2006 $818,000 06014454 WD

09/20/2004 $180,000 04158346 WD

01/15/2003 $305,000 03013423 WD

12/21/1999 $0 JX9796 QC

Guest jcramin

I dont want to go back and ready every post so Ill just ask, has anyone posted Tom Givens message along with all the names, home addresses, and home phone numbers of all the important people at the Commercial Appeal ?

it won't matter what information is shown on the site--as anyone could gain access to the database--it is public information, which means anyone can request the entire database.

Mike Fleming, 600 WREC radio, gave out a bunch of peoples home addresses, phone numbers, positions etc at the commercial appeal. He is pissed off and going after the commercial appeal.

I am in it. I hope that IF,and a big IF, that if someone were to target gun owners strictly from the newspaper's given info,THAT said newspaper is OWNED!

Not just for info,but possibly contributing to the well being or not so well being of said thug trying to do said gun owner harm and mental distress and lost time BECAUSE of said paper's info contribution.

I would love an attorney to take this situation and run with it.