HCP/CCW Badge

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Archimedes

Ok, at least we should make some money off this....

I'm going to design a black-leather, kevlar-lined jacket with embedded LCD displays that flash all sorts of stuff like....

"Handgun carry permit holder....look, but PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH!"

"Guess where my gun is..."

And, hey, if you really wanna wear the badge after that, you can add a line that says:
"I am in no way, shape, or form any sort of Law Enforcement Officer, Security Guard, or Mall Cop!!!!"

I could even add some amber/green/clear strobes so you can really make your presence felt and be safe walking at night. :rolleyes:

~archi

Edited by Archimedes
Guest bkelm18
You still got those flowered bed sheets? :D

:rolleyes: You know, I could say those aren't mine, which they aren't, but you wouldn't believe me anyhow. At least my gay accusation had a gay smilie in it. :rofl:

I am curious, why would you be arrested for wearing a CCW badge?

Say you are shopping in WalMart OC'ing a Hi-Point 9mm or even a Glock, badge on the belt next to the gun. How does that equate to impersonating an cop?

I will go a step further, someone show me one instance where a person simply wearing a CCW badge was arrested for it.

PS: the heck with the A-Team, I think Suntzu, Punisher and myself ought to be the Mod Squad. I get to be Link. Which one of you tarts is going to be Julie?

Guest bkelm18

PS: the heck with the A-Team, I think Suntzu, Punisher and myself ought to be the Mod Squad. I get to be Link. Which one of you tarts is going to be Julie?

I, of course, nominate Punisher. Unless he performs the truffle shuffle, in which case I will redact my nomination. :rolleyes:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I, of course, nominate Punisher. Unless he performs the truffle shuffle, in which case I will redact my nomination. :D

ROFLMAO. The ole' truffle shuffle card comes into play once again! :D

indexbluesky.jpg

:D You know, I could say those aren't mine, which they aren't, but you wouldn't believe me anyhow. At least my gay accusation had a gay smilie in it. :D

No actually I believe you, but I had already pulled the truffle shuffle card last joke session, so I had to dig for the bedsheet one lol

Guest bkelm18
No actually I believe you, but I had already pulled the truffle shuffle card last joke session, so I had to dig for the bedsheet one lol

Why were you digging in my bed sheets? Is there something I should know about?

Say you are shopping in WalMart OC'ing a Hi-Point 9mm or even a Glock, badge on the belt next to the gun. How does that equate to impersonating an cop?

I will go a step further, someone show me one instance where a person simply wearing a CCW badge was arrested for it.

I curious too....

I think it would take some more overt action than wearing a badge and OCing to be charged with Impersonating an officer. I agree that many that see that may think you are an officer, but that doesn't mean it meets the legal definition.

Also what is the TCA code that says it is legal for LEOs to wear a badge or illegal for non-LEOs to.

search grasshopper...

Find where the law allows the use and wearing of a badge. And for whats its worth, I know some agency's have prosecuted for it... just gotta try and dig up the information from the net.

You guys have to remember, its up to the officers discretion to make the determination if someone is impersonating. If he deems the public would assume, by the "action" a person may have taken (gun and badge displayed openly)... that person was a police officer... then he can effect an arrest. You have to admit, who would the general public assume carrys a gun and a badge? Under the TCA only a police, sheriff, State or Federal Agent, Fire Marshal, Constable, or Security Guard are legally able use a bade for identification. Now I dont think there is a law stating others cant have a badge, but there is laws saying who can... and when other persons actions imply they are one of the above... thats when it gets tricky.

Btw... for all those wanting to wear a badge, why not go ahead and get your car all dolled up in stripping and lights too? I mean, its the same "wanna-be" thing... no more no less.

Its tricky... and its grey... but in the right situation, if the right officer wants too he can make it stick.

well theres one way to find out. Go for it and tell us how it worked out for you. Keep in mind Walmarts illegal "policy" about open carry... Might I also suggest a particular county where Im sure you will find the results your looking for. Sumner would be nice, Hendersonville to be exact... im sure there you will find your answer... and your destiny. :D

:D

search grasshopper...

Find where the law allows the use and wearing of a badge. And for whats its worth, I know some agency's have prosecuted for it... just gotta try and dig up the information from the net.

You guys have to remember, its up to the officers discretion to make the determination if someone is impersonating. If he deems the public would assume, by the "action" a person may have taken (gun and badge displayed openly)... that person was a police officer... then he can effect an arrest. You have to admit, who would the general public assume carrys a gun and a badge? Under the TCA only a police, sheriff, State or Federal Agent, Fire Marshal, Constable, or Security Guard are legally able use a bade for identification. Now I dont think there is a law stating others cant have a badge, but there is laws saying who can... and when other persons actions imply they are one of the above... thats when it gets tricky.

Btw... for all those wanting to wear a badge, why not go ahead and get your car all dolled up in stripping and lights too? I mean, its the same "wanna-be" thing... no more no less.

Its tricky... and its grey... but in the right situation, if the right officer wants too he can make it stick.

You are the one saying it is a law...if this is so, you should be able to point me to it, not me have to search for it.

I agree...it is up to officers discretion as to make an arrest, but it is up to the judge or jury to convict.

But...I have forgot there could be LEOs out there with enough of a complex to go around and arrest law abiding citizens for S&G's

However just to be clear...as I said before...I do not think wearing a badge is good....if you want to carry a weapon, open or concealed and you have a permit..that is all you need...you don't need a badge.

But, I don't think they should be illegal, and I don't think any reasonable person would think wearing one and OCing (and nothing else) would be impersonating an officer.

One could also be arrested for a flat tire too :D

I am just about sick and damn tired of this topic!

I mean really now!

How many folks posting in this thread say the typical BS about cold dead hands,or god given right to carry,and so on,but then turn around and say OC is not right!

Its hypocritical to say the least!

Give me a frickin break already! :D

I'll find it when I have time... right now my heads like JELLO. Im waiting on a test subject/person....

But your hands are fine to post other things? Is it really that much more work to type on Google then here?

Ok...I searched....

I found sever statutes that mention a badge. Many of them say the badge must have info on it that identifies the person. So...the badge itself is not identification. You can get a badge that says Chicken Inspector if you want...and that wouldn't mean you are impersonating a LEO.

Here is the one law you may have been speaking of

8-8-221(:D

Except for duly commissioned state and municipal law enforcement officers, no person shall go armed for law enforcement purposes, carry or display a badge or other card or device purporting to identify that person as an officer of the law, wear any uniform or distinctive clothing purporting to identify that person as an officer of law, or mark any motor vehicle so as to identify it as a law enforcement vehicle, or its driver as a law enforcement officer, without registering each and any of these acts with the sheriff of the county in which such acts take place, and complying with reasonable regulations established by the sheriff to properly and consistently identify all persons in that county exercising law enforcement powers.

But OCing by a HCP holder is not going armed for LE purposes and a badge that says Handgun Carry Permit on it is not a badge that identifies the person as a LEO.

Edited by Fallguy
One could also be arrested for a flat tire too :D

I mean really now!

How many folks posting in this thread say the typical BS about cold dead hands,or god given right to carry,and so on,but then turn around and say OC is not right!

Give me a frickin break already! :D

But your hands are fine to post other things? Is it really that much more work to type on Google then here?

I agree...I have been on other boards and they complied all the threads on "Hot Topics" like this, made one sticky thread and then locked it. That way if someone wants to look back or a newbie wants to see all the discussion on it they can...but no real need to keep posting the same stuff over and over and over and over...

One could also be arrested for a flat tire too :rolleyes:

I mean really now!

Give me a frickin break already! :rolleyes:

no im just tired of taking time away from me doing real work(im posting gun ads/auctions and surfing here while pics are downloading) and looking for something to prove a point on the internet. Btw, fallguy just found one of them, and I think every TCA concerning every LE position says something similier. Its all up to an officer, DA, Judge, and jurys descretion.

Wanna prove it so bad... strap on and go to wally world, just give me a heads up so I can make sure the right guys on duty.

Like I said, its a grey area... it might happen, it might not... but is it really worth all the bullshiet it may cause?

Guest JeepMonkey
I have open carried at Walmart. I was tired and forgot I took off my flannel shirt. I was not arrested by Walmart Control.
I'd love to see Grandma the Greeter cuff and stuff a thug. That would make my day, no, my life.