Uselton Arms update!

Smith

Stopped by Uselton today and since i am the one who stared the other thread and e-mails to 99.7, i thought I would share my impressions.

My first impression is i can understand why his prices are so high. His overhead has to be through the roof. I also saw some of his clientele and they didn't appear to be the kind that minded the prices structure. They also didn't appear to be the types out at Hobson Pike or Joelton either.:rofl:

If nothing else his store is wroth seing just for the wildlife mounts. Whether he killed them or not it is very impressive. I remember thinking the same thing at his Rivergate store.

The store is small, variety is limited (higher end), the staff were pleasant, and Glock prices were on the high side but not unreasonable for this time. I did not directly address Rick (he was on the floor) but he did ask me twice if i needed any help as did the two other folks behind the counter.

My opinion on Uselton in regards to his 2a position or his character overall has NOT changed, but i think he has found a niche that will feed his store and I wish more power to him. I just won't ever be in that niche.:rolleyes:

Edited by Smith
important opmitted word!
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also saw some of his clientele and they didn't appear to be the kind that minded the prices structure. They also didn't appear to be the types out at Hobson Pike or Joelton either.:rofl:

That’s kinda what I figured when he opened that store and I saw some of the pricing stuff posted here. He’s catering to the boys from Brentwood and Franklin that could care less what he is charging.

(He’s not the only gun store in that area doing that, and the other one has been extremely successful.)

If he can make a living doing that I say more power to him. thumbsup.gif

He probably would just as soon riff raff like us would stay out of his store. :rolleyes:

leaving.gif

Granted I've only been to his Rivergate store once and his Franklin store once, but..... he definitely seemed more attentive to his clientele in Franklin than i was recieved at Rivergate. while some of the bathroom stuff was over the top, I do believe it made his eyes open a little wider to a segment of the gun world that was maybe forgotten. Just my extra .02:)

I stopped by on Wednesday and can say about the same as NSNATE02. I was asked about five times by two different people if I could be helped. Had a lot of custom knives and Uselton .45. Saw a issue .45 Colt for $25K. Not many rifles.

Hope he gets it right after Rivergate and Goodlettsville. Saw nothing I was interested in. Plus only about 8 boxes of ammo on shelf. Might be stashed on the range.

That’s kinda what I figured when he opened that store and I saw some of the pricing stuff posted here. He’s catering to the boys from Brentwood and Franklin that could care less what he is charging.

(He’s not the only gun store in that area doing that, and the other one has been extremely successful.)

If he can make a living doing that I say more power to him. thumbsup.gif

He probably would just as soon riff raff like us would stay out of his store. :D

leaving.gif

Not everyone from Brentwood wants to pay outrageous prices...

;)

...but, there are plenty who will.

You didnt take a double decker did you?

A DOUBLE decker?! What is that one? Pooping in the tank of TWO toilets? I dunno if I'd have the reserves on hand to pull something like that off!

:D

On a more serious note... I'm at least glad to hear a somewhat nicer report of the store.

• 6 months later...

I've read the negative posts about Uselton's. I don't know any thing about the north end store. In Franklin, the range is clean, well lit, and up to date. Rick and Janelle have been nothing but friendly to me. They have ammo available at reasonable prices for a gun shop. Rentals are a little high at $20 as are lane fees ($20), but lane fees are for an unlimited time.

Their prices are befitting their location. It's clearly a business decision to tap a higher end market. Certainly won't compete with Gunbroker etc.

Yes Rick likes to talk and give his own opinions...don't we all:)

My biggest plus here was how Rick took the time with my wife during our autoloader class. He was patient and kind. He even invited her to come back at any time to work with him further. (She got unnerved when learning the Glock when a fella was blasting away with a 50 cal pistol. Man that thing is loud, and the concussion could make your teeth chatter.)

It's good to hear that he seems to have gotten it. I also emailed Ralph after his station, and his show, picked up Uselton as an advertiser. I was very impressed with Mr. Bristol for having Rick on the show for an hour to answer questions, including some about the article in the City Paper.

That said, I'm not convinced. I was very impressed with the way Ralph Bristol handled the situation, but unfortunately I don't feel the same about Mr. Uselton. Anyone know how that lawsuit against the City Paper turned out?

I hope he's gotten things straight and he can do well. I don't forsee myself frequenting his shop, though. Aside from the prices, I have a couple of shops that are much closer to home, and their stance on the rights of the people have never been called into question. Plus, they help make it possible for me to waste so much time here! :P

Guest mustangdave

I went and checked out the place a month or so back...nice indoor range set up. I think I would probably buy from Franklin Gun shop before going to Uselton's though

I shot there a few weeks back. A friend was a member, and he suggested we shoot there.

The range is very nice. Good condition, good lighting, good ventilation.

The selection of guns is just okay, and if you're not into their brand, which I'm not, the selection is even smaller.

They were very nice. The owner fellow was too nice, actually--talked too much, especially about politics. That's not why I go shooting at the range, and it bored me to death. (There's an older fellow at FGS that's doing that now.)

I get the feeling that the owner fellow is somewhat of a control freak. Who knows--maybe that keeps him safe and all, but he was being very unkind to a younger woman on staff (daughter? daughter in law? I don't know), and the rules and regs on the range are a little oppressive.

Very expensive, overall, especially compared to OnTarget's range. Lots better shape, too, of course. Maybe there's a connection. :P

Very nice place, but I wouldn't regularly patronize it given the other options.

Someone...complimenting... Useltons..?!?!?

<head explodes>

Just an honest opinion, unswayed by whatever went on in the past. I'm too new here to know what all that was about, and I haven't researched it.

But I DO have another gun on order with you, if you'd ever get it in. :P

I took my HCP class there, and overall had a good experience. Didn't meet the owner himself, but the staff were very nice. The range seemed nice as well, but that was the first indoor range I'd been to, usually shoot out at my mom's farm.

The prices did seem high on the stuff I looked at when I was wandering around waiting for the class to start, and the selection seemed limited.

There is one thing that made me leery. I bought ammo for the range test there (don't remember what I paid for it). When I opened it to load my mags, I noticed that it was mixed ammo. Some was brass, some was aluminum. A few also had what appeared to be scorch marks on them, which made me think that maybe they were reloads, though I suppose it could have been something from the machining process. One round didn't "feel" right when it went off, but when I tore the gun down everything looked fine, so it may have been my imagination, other than that it all fired OK.

Edited by Isaac
grammatical error

Yeah, that was part of the range rules, and I'm not sure it was reloads, it just seemed a little strange to me with the mixed ammo and what could have been scorches (but as I said, could very well have been residue from the factory machining process). Everything was fine, it just hit that "something don't seem right" nerve.

edit: Wait, the rules are no reloads, you can fire whatever you want other than that, but if you're not a member you have to at least buy 1 box of ammo.

Edited by Isaac
clarification
Not everyone from Brentwood wants to pay outrageous prices...

;)

...but, there are plenty who will.

Thats the truth! I drive to Nolensville to buy my guns.

Guest JHatmaker

The younger lady is his daugher, and he is definately a micro manager. The younger gentleman there is his nephew. He's a pretty cool dude, and the only reason I swing in there every now and then. (His daughter is nice to, has some cool tats if you're into that sorta thing)

The dude my age that works there told me they (family) sat Rick down before they opened the Franklin place and told him he had to chill the F out, that he was pissing customers off, etc (and his staff), and that word was spreading fast about his reputation. The few times I've been in there, they've always been super friendly. It is way expensive, but it's two blocks from where I work, so if I really get the itch to shoot I'll swing by there during lunch.