iPad help please.

gregintenn

11 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My wife wants an iPad for Christmas. I don’t know chit about iPads.

I’d sure appreciate some guidance from some of the tech gurus among us.

What kind of guidance are you looking for? iPads are what they are. https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/. If she's happy with only the apps offered in the Apple Store then more power to her. 

I would, however, point out to you that she wants what she wants. My response would be, "Yes, dear," and go get it because it's not my opinion that counts.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My wife wants an iPad for Christmas.

Then she should have one. And she should have the iPad Pro 12.9” with 1TB of storage and WiFi + Cellular. If my wife wanted an iPad I would get her nothing less. Now head on over to the Apple Store.

EDIT: And when they start talking about accessories; make sure you tell them “Money is no object”.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
39 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My wife wants an iPad for Christmas. I don’t know chit about iPads.

I’d sure appreciate some guidance from some of the tech gurus among us.

Like guns, knowing what she wants to use it for helps a lot.  Might be able to lessen the money hit if you can not need the latest and greatest...but this is still going to sting.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Like guns, knowing what she wants to use it for helps a lot.  Might be able to lessen the money hit if you can not need the latest and greatest...but this is still going to sting.

She'll be on facebook, pinterest, make the occasional photo, and probably use it for the occasional zoom meeting. I expect that's about it. Probably don't need the latest and greatest. She isn't a techie either.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Then she should have one. And she should have the iPad Pro 12.9” with 1TB of storage and WiFi + Cellular. If my wife wanted an iPad I would get her nothing less. Now head on over to the Apple Store.

EDIT: And when they start talking about accessories; make sure you tell them “Money is no object”.

You are full of chit. I've seen you looking for a gun. "Money is no object" is definitely not your philosophy.🤣

LOL! I see you and I are neck and neck on the popular contributor board. We should probably both find something more productive to do.😆

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If she’s mainly going to use it around the house connected to WiFi you can save yourself some money and get the non cellular model. I bought a non cellular 10.2” with 32gb memory for right around $200 last year when Amazon had their Black Friday week sale going on. I’ve been very happy with it. Mainly use it for TGO, Netflix, and YouTube. Just recently figured out I can download some movies and shows on Netflix to the iPad so I can watch them while I fly/travel.

This is the one I got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XL7G4H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Danger Rane said:

If she’s mainly going to use it around the house connected to WiFi you can save yourself some money and get the non cellular model. I bought a non cellular 10.2” with 32gb memory for right around $200 last year when Amazon had their Black Friday week sale going on. I’ve been very happy with it. Mainly use it for TGO, Netflix, and YouTube. Just recently figured out I can download some movies and shows on Netflix to the iPad so I can watch them while I fly/travel.

This is the one I got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XL7G4H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s out of stock, but probably about what I am looking for. Thanks.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

She'll be on facebook, pinterest, make the occasional photo, and probably use it for the occasional zoom meeting. I expect that's about it. Probably don't need the latest and greatest. She isn't a techie either.

If this is all you need, and access to wifi will be consistent...

1 hour ago, Danger Rane said:

...he's got the good recommendation here.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You are full of chit. I've seen you looking for a gun. "Money is no object" is definitely not your philosophy.🤣

Going to pick-up my new 610 today. Money was an object, but they didn't seem to care. 

14 hours ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! I see you and I are neck and neck on the popular contributor board. We should probably both find something more productive to do.😆

I heard that! EqcmKa2.gif

• Haha 1
  • Admin Team

I would suggest current generation whichever form factor you ultimately decide upon - they seem to last a long time - and future proofing yourself as much as possible by spending a few extra bucks is worth it.

The current generation iPad is a great value - especially when you find one on sale for a few bucks off.  Were it me - I'd start looking at the Black Friday ads.  If you use other Apple products like the iPhone - checking their News app and allowing 'Apple' news always seems to have a roundup of who's got them on sale.

The newly refreshed iPad Air is more expensive - but a truly great device.  It may be more than she necessarily 'needs'.

I love the iPad mini.  I've had one for 7 or 8 years.  I'd probably wait until the first of the year before buying one if that were the form factor she prefers, as it's due for an update soon.

• Like 1

One thing I'd suggest is you seriously consider getting one for yourself at the same time so you are proficient in one of the main parts of your husbandry duties. I have found that when my wife plays with any tech related item, no matter make or type, they all seem to have the same 24 hour immediate fix it line....1-800-mycell#.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Erich said:

One thing I'd suggest is you seriously consider getting one for yourself at the same time so you are proficient in one of the main parts of your husbandry duties. I have found that when my wife plays with any tech related item, no matter make or type, they all seem to have the same 24 hour immediate fix it line....1-800-mycell#.

My wife does the same thing. She works on a computer all day long, but if a problem comes up that isn't related to Excel or the business apps that she uses, she can't do anything and yells for me. Just yesterday she was having problems getting on the Wi-Fi and I told her to turn it off then back on. She looked at me like I had told her to rebuild the engine in the car.

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Erich said:

That’s marriage, my friend. I can be 1 1/2 hours away, working in the middle of the interstate, and my wife will call to tell me the lights went out or the next nternet stopped working.

Edited by gregintenn