Trout Fishing Information from TWRA

Personally, I love trout fishing. I’m not a fly fisherman, just a good ‘ol open faced spinner and chest waders. The TWRA has a great website with everything you need to know to catch trout. They are delicious grilled with the skin on and some lemon pepper. So easy to clean and eat and really fun to catch. Here’s the info:  

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/documents/fishing/trout/winter-trout-schedule.pdf?utm_campaign=TroutStockingDecember2020&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peejman said:

Trout is delicious. I'd be a lot more interested in fishing for them if the licenses weren't so complicated. 

I do understand. That is true. fishing license, trout stamp, special permit for tellico plains and Smokey mountains for example. But then so is big game hunting, wildlife management areas, quota hunts which also require additional stamps added to a hunting license. When I turned 65 I bought the lifetime sportsman license so I wouldn’t have to worry about any of it. That wasn’t cheap either. I’m not sure, but I’ve heard Georgia don’t hit sportsman so hard, but Tennessee sure has some nice fishing opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Thanks for attaching this - might plan some winter fishing.

TWRA has really hit it out of the park with stocking and managing some world class trout streams these last several years.  

I'm happy to see my license fees support that.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

While I've never personally visited this store, or fished for Trout, I love following these guys on social media. Tellico Plains is a great area for Trout fishing for anyone interested. 

https://www.tellicooutfitters.com/

Tellico river is one of my regular and favorite places. That and the hiwassee. Both are stocked very well. The hiwassee is much bigger and has some huge trout in it.  I’ve not caught anything really big, but I’ve seen some really nice ones that others have caught. By the way, the tellico hatchery is an amazing place to visit. They have some really huge breeders 

Edited by Randall53
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Thanks for attaching this - might plan some winter fishing.

TWRA has really hit it out of the park with stocking and managing some world class trout streams these last several years.  

I'm happy to see my license fees support that.

I’m with you on that for sure Mac! 👍

It’s probably closed for the Wuhan Flu, but the trout hatchery near Dale Hollow dam is worth a visit if you’ve never been there.

It appears they stocked the city pond here in Lafayette with trout today.

My father and his buddy went up there and caught a bunch the last time they stocked it.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I've been surprised catching some trout in the Cumberland and near the mouth of the Harpeth in the last few years.  I had no idea they were stocking there.

A couple were really pretty decent sized fish.

The last trout I caught out of the Cumberland was about 70 feet deep.

• Admin Team

I got quite a few during the spring and summer up in the creeks around Ashland City just out fishing for panfish. It kinda surprised me.

Late summer it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them that deep just to get to some cooler, oxygenated water.

We got into some Walleye like I've never seen out there one day this summer.  They swam by just under the surface for at least 10 minutes.  There were thousands of them.  They were a lot of fun on the light tackle we were using that day.

They really have cleaned that river up a lot since I've been in Nashville.

• Admin Team

I've noticed we've been catching them a lot further down the Clinch these last few years than I would have expected in years past.

We've got family with a place on the river around mile marker 52 between Clinton and Oak Ridge.  We catch trout down that way all the time these days.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I got quite a few during the spring and summer up in the creeks around Ashland City just out fishing for panfish. It kinda surprised me.

Late summer it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them that deep just to get to some cooler, oxygenated water.

We got into some Walleye like I've never seen out there one day this summer.  They swam by just under the surface for at least 10 minutes.  There were thousands of them.  They were a lot of fun on the light tackle we were using that day.

They really have cleaned that river up a lot since I've been in Nashville.

I’ve yet to catch the first sauger or walleye. I’m jealous, as the are good eating.