Welp......it’s time. Total Knee Replacement

Randall53

12 hours ago, hipower said:

Ok, my "goof" post earlier was an attempt to get you one of these devices.

I had one that was probably 10 years old. My wife used it on her knee, and I've used it for both of mine. 

I was planning on offering it to you, but my wife said the hoses from the motor pumping the cold water out were worn out and leaking. So she had discarded it when I was finished last time.

I'm sorry to even have brought it up, but it is a very helpful device. Please ask around and see if you can borrow one. It will be worth the efforts.

Ask the PT people if they can help you out. They might know of previous clients with one to lend. 

Good luck with the surgery. It's so old hat with the orthopedists now they can do it in their sleep. Be prepared to get up, or be gotten up, as soon as you wake in recovery and they think you are awake and aware. At least to stand or maybe a step or two.

I think I was still half asleep when they pulled me up. Won't lie. It hurt. But the drugs at this point are so strong you will shrug it off.

Don't try to "be a man" and refuse the pain meds. It will cause you pain!  More than is necessary. Take them as offered. As frequently as they come around. If you stay overnight, every 4 hours seems to be the norm. At 3 hrs 45 min, call for them. It's for your good. You'll find it better in the long run. Doc and PT will try to get you off them soon enough.

Recap: Take your meds. Do all the PT. Do at home on your own. Take meds as prescribed and on time. It does get better sooner than you might think.

And last but not least...don't stop moving. Don't sit too long. You will not like the results. Ask me how I know. lol

Prayers for you my friend.

Dad had an epidural both times. He was awake and annoying the surgeon with questions during the procedure.  😄   We told the surgeon he should wear a gopro on his head and mount a screen to the ceiling so people like dad can watch it live. 

The pain meds they inject during surgery will get you through day 1. Day 2 is when it really starts to hurt. Dad went home after 1 night both times. He's definitely the "tough guy" but it was clear that it really hurt the following few days. I agree to get off the opiates as soon as you can.  I think dad was down to advil after about 5 days. 

I was off pain killers by third day, except for one pill before P T and One at bedtime for 7 days.  After that just 1 before PT. I don't like taking Opioids. One needs them early and they do help healing. One must get sleep epically for the first 5 nights. I did have small pain when I quit taking them at night but did not keep me from sleeping. Hope you can do the same, but take them to start with if you need them. 

22 hours ago, hipower said:

That's exactly what has happened to me. After my second TKR and completion of PT, I did slow down and eventually stopped home exercise. BIG MISTAKE!

"Penguin waddle" says it all. I've started a new round of PT for some foot issues, and it has been amazing. My walk has improved by at least 50% in just a short time. But the downside is that my knees are throbbing considerable with the change in step and stride. 

So yes, keep up the exercising!

Thanks hipower. I’m ready to get this done and after 3 knee surgeries, and a shoulder, I successfully pulled those off and got full mobility. I’m gonna git er done. I’m a bit overweight, but I’m still pretty active and I’m gonna attack this like I always have. I appreciate the encouragement 👍

• Like 1
12 hours ago, peejman said:

Dad had an epidural both times. He was awake and annoying the surgeon with questions during the procedure.  😄   We told the surgeon he should wear a gopro on his head and mount a screen to the ceiling so people like dad can watch it live. 

The pain meds they inject during surgery will get you through day 1. Day 2 is when it really starts to hurt. Dad went home after 1 night both times. He's definitely the "tough guy" but it was clear that it really hurt the following few days. I agree to get off the opiates as soon as you can.  I think dad was down to advil after about 5 days. 

Wow!  OK...I'm officially a wimp. I used them for 2 weeks then went to Tylenol.