Here We Go... Assault Ban

Guest macmonkey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

The Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration.

By JASON RYAN

WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009—

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

<!-- page -->

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

Anybody who thinks the Dems will hold off on gun control so assure getting re-elected is naive. They WILL institute gun control, and (unfortunately) the American people who are on the dole will re-elect them to Congress again. We are on the slippery slide, and sliding will now commence.

Guest Matchguy
Anybody who thinks the Dems will hold off on gun control so assure getting re-elected is naive. They WILL institute gun control, and (unfortunately) the American people who are on the dole will re-elect them to Congress again. We are on the slippery slide, and sliding will now commence.

Well said, Sir. Well said. You are entirely correct.

MG

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades,"

And these are readily available now? So tell me what will a new law do to stop the flow of fullys and destructive devices.

So much BS

Well, if the dems do this now, they can hope (and realistically, it might work) that people will cool off about it by the next election. Who knows.

And for all those who scoffed at those of us who have been stocking up on hicap mags and AWB firearms, told you so...

Less than two months in office and now this. Unbelievable.

Why unbelievable? He said it during his campaign, he posted it on his website. Not like we didn't see this coming - more like some folks wanted "hope and change" so much they were able to just ignore what was staring them plainly in the face.

"cop killer bullets" refers to something that Sen. Kennedy tried to pass. It refers to, basically, any center-fire rifle cartridge.

The redcoats are coming, boys.

Ironic...he sites the violence in Mexico as a reason...therefore the citizens of the United States should suffer? Our taxes are going to illegals...now they want to infringe on rights because the country of Mexico can't handle their business.....I'm not a difficult person to reson with...I just like for things to make sense...this doesn't...

I just fired off letters to my Rep and both Senators, I urge you ALL to do the same, right now. The NRA may not be worried yet, but we should be active ANY time there is a threat, and this one is on the horizon.

We need to be active, not reactive.

I just sent this to Corker:

--------------

Mr. Corker:

In form letters, you state "However, I had significant concerns with Mr. Holder's nomination for Attorney General due to his record as Deputy Attorney General and his past analysis of the 2nd Amendment. After carefully reviewing the testimony from Mr. Holder's confirmation hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee, while I may disagree with some of Mr. Holder's views, there was nothing that would disqualify him from this position."

With all due respect, sir, what is your answer to this?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=6960824&page=1

Sir, we need statesman that can use their gut feelings. To be honest, I don't believe you're one of those people.

Do NOT bother to reply if you're just going to send another form letter. We're getting pretty tired of generic answers.

Sincerely,

Michael Douchette

• Administrator

{Edited for brevity}

Sir, we need statesman that can use their gut feelings. To be honest, I don't believe you're one of those people.

Do NOT bother to reply if you're just going to send another form letter. We're getting pretty tired of generic answers.

Sincerely,

Michael Douchette

Good for you, Mikey. That was an excellent rebuttal and I'm sure it stands a pretty good chance of getting ignored by Corker's office... but kudos to you for sticking it straight in his posterior. :P

--------------

Mr. Corker:

In form letters, you state .........................................

You really told him with that one. I was too nice in mine but I'm not much of a writer and had forgotten about he said about Holder.

--------------

Mr. Corker:

In form letters, you state "However, I had significant concerns with Mr. Holder's nomination for Attorney General due to his record as Deputy Attorney General and his past analysis of the 2nd Amendment. After carefully reviewing the testimony from Mr. Holder's confirmation hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee, while I may disagree with some of Mr. Holder's views, there was nothing that would disqualify him from this position."

Sincerely,

Michael Douchette

Ditto

Mind if I quote you in my letter to him?

Guest Boomhower

What is it, 2 yrs before another election? With the control they have right now, they are going to push thru everything they can, as soon as they can. And they will probably succeed in everything they want to do. Just look at the near 800 Bil. pork bill that was just passed. That thing had 10 yrs worth of a "to do list" tacked onto it.