Photos of my new AHolster Pocket for S&W J Frame

• Administrator

Today I received my new "inside the pocket" carry rig for my J-Frame revolver. I ordered it from Alan over at www.aholsters.com about a week ago, so turnaround on the order was excellent.

Here are some photos and a brief review follows at the end.

What do we have here?

AHolsterArrival.jpg

Oooo...

AHolsterUnpacked.jpg

Here is the side that sits against your leg inside your front pocket.

AHolsterInnerSurface.jpg

And here is the side that presses against the outside of your pocket and "prints" for the rest of the world to see.

AHolsterOuterSurface.jpg

Again, the inner side of the holster but this time with my S&W 642 J-frame revolver inside.

AHolsterandJ-FrameInner.jpg

And the outer side of it with the revolver in place.

AHolsterandJ-FrameOuter.jpg

So how much does it print inside your pants pocket? You tell me...

AHolsterandJ-FrameinPocket.jpg

The Review

First let me give credit where it is due and state that I learned of the AHolster Pocket holster from Todd @ CIS during a defensive pistol class. Todd recommends carrying a backup gun if at all possible and said that he too prefers the little J-Frame revolver. He mentioned that he owned an AHolster Pocket holster and found that it was extremely discrete and also allowed for very easy drawing.

I put it off for almost a year, but I finally got around to ordering one and am now kicking myself for waiting. This little holster remedies a lot of the problems I had with carrying my own J-frame revolver inside the pocket.

I had been using a DeSantis Nemesis soft holster but rarely carried the J-frame because the Nemesis just was too soft, allowed the firearm to print too noticeably, and didn't have enough structural rigidity to make drawing from my pocket even remotely quick enough for what I felt was an adequate response time. The AHolster, being made of rigid but thin Kydex thermoplastic, does not print in my pocket in such a way that it is obvious that I have a handgun there. Rather the soft curvature of the holster's outer face presents an outline in my pocket more akin to a wallet or a phone or a PDA.

Also because of the AHolster's rigidity and two "hooks" built into the design, it offers far superior retention of the holster as you draw the firearm. With the Nemesis soft holster, I would often find myself producing not only the firearm but the holster also when I drew. The AHolster's design keeps the holster firmly situated in my pocket and allows the firearm to quickly and smoothly exit my pocket without interference.

I've admittedly not been much of a pocket-gun guy before now. The soft holster that I had been using just made it a little too awkward, so I relied on carrying one of my other handguns inside the waistband. That presents a totally different set of problems, especially when professional attire (eg: tucked-in shirts) is required.

Now with the AHolster Pocket, I feel a lot better about carrying inside the pocket and will probably even opt to leave the larger handguns behind if I am going to be in certain settings, as wardrobe dictates. I wouldn't have done that before.

Bottom Line: Highly Recommended

Edited to ad...

Price for the holster was $29.95 + S&H at the time of this writing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

Is that a J-Frame in your pocket or are you just happy to see me. :censored: Dude thats a sweet little holster & a good review. Ive had almost ordered 1 of those when I had my J-Frame but never did. Im gonna order 1 now for my dad siince he pocket carries in a 10 yr old uncle mikes rag thats wore out. It looks pretty well put together. Thanks for posting you just made me spend some money.

Guest flyfishtn

David, I can't believe you waited this long! Great work isn't it? The rigid design makes drawing and reholstering a dream.

Glad you joined the club! :censored:

I use a Mika Pocket Holster. Mika was the holster design person For L.A.P.D.

now retired and has his own company. Cost is like $22 shipped and 8 month

backorder is now down to a few weeks. Google will bring up website.

** Just looked Website now shows 8-12 week wait,but worth it.

Edited by Will
Add new info
Guest Bronker

David, I'm assuming you're right-handed. As you mentioned in your post, the 642 will occasinally be your primary. Curious though, do you also carry your BUG strong-side? That's one aspect lost with this holster-the contour will not comfortably allow ambidextrous carry will it? I've always had the same Nemesis, which does allow ambi carry, but I also dislike it for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm left handed, so I'm figuring I'd get the RH version as well. My XD40 strong side, and mý 442 weak. Thanks for the detailed field report.

• Administrator
David, I'm assuming you're right-handed. As you mentioned in your post, the 642 will occasinally be your primary. Curious though, do you also carry your BUG strong-side? That's one aspect lost with this holster-the contour will not comfortably allow ambidextrous carry will it? I've always had the same Nemesis, which does allow ambi carry, but I also dislike it for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm left handed, so I'm figuring I'd get the RH version as well. My XD40 strong side, and mý 442 weak. Thanks for the detailed field report.

I ordered this holster for strong-side carry because I anticipate using it for those times when carrying something larger is impractical or impossible. Now that I've seen how well it works, I am likely going to order a second for left-hand carry so that I can use the J-frame as a backup gun on my weak side.

Even better that buying from aholsters stimulates the local economy. They're right down the road in Greeneville. I should stop in there next time I'm down and see if he's got something for the P3AT. That looks like it doesn't print as much as my Don Hume.

I had been using a DeSantis Nemesis soft holster but rarely carried the J-frame because the Nemesis just was too soft, allowed the firearm to print too noticeably, and didn't have enough structural rigidity to make drawing from my pocket even remotely quick enough for what I felt was an adequate response time.

I have detected a marked difference in the P3AT in the Nemesis and the 642 in the Nemesis.

As you mention, the Nemesis/642 duo is much less stable and much "softer".

No problems, though, with the KelTec in a Nemesis.

Guest Bronker
I ordered this holster for strong-side carry because I anticipate using it for those times when carrying something larger is impractical or impossible. Now that I've seen how well it works, I am likely going to order a second for left-hand carry so that I can use the J-frame as a backup gun on my weak side.

My thought exactly. I'd seen these quite a while back, but never ordered because up until lately, I'd never considered a BUG.

May just have to do it now. I like the kydex in the pocket for sure.:D

• Administrator
David, you didn't tell us how much to expect that clever holstering device to cost. It being kydex, I'll have to make sure and keep it away from my tree stump and hair dryer.:P

$29.95 + S&H

I was a little worried that I'm a little too hot personally to carry it, but apparently the melting point of Kydex is somewhere above "smokin". :D

Weird question,but how big is the pocket hook thingie?Reason being,being I'm always on my ass,my snub will tend to hang over to far down in me pocket.Desaints is the only one so far that Ive found with a big enough flap/hook thingie that will keep it positioned right,however its not strong enough to keep from folding occasionally.

So I guess what I'm asking is,is the flap/hook thingie about the size of the Desaints?

• 1 month later...

Just ordered my new weak side (left hand) Aholster pocket holster for my J frame revolvers and a new pachmayr compac rubber grip for my Charter Arms Undercover 38 Spcl. I can't wait till it gets here. Like a kid at Christmas.

Guest SkyDog

I talked to Alan at the gun show in Kingsport a couple weeks ago and he said he could make one that would carry in the left or right pocket.

If you tell him when you order he will just leave the bend out. I'm getting ready to order mine.

• Administrator
Just ordered my new weak side (left hand) Aholster pocket holster for my J frame revolvers and a new pachmayr compac rubber grip for my Charter Arms Undercover 38 Spcl. I can't wait till it gets here. Like a kid at Christmas.

I bought a Pachmayr compac grip for my 340 last week, put it on the gun when it arrived and then ended up taking it off. I thought it was a little too big for pocket use but it sure would have been nice for recoil reduction. :P