Shelby County told me to grab my ankles...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

Mine went up 71k!!!

think they will buy it??

not quite sure how to fight this, (cant afford a lawyer) but I am gonna start by mailing said letter back with a big "bull****" accross the front of it.

Guest db99wj

Canyn, you don't need a lawyer. You can go online and submit an informal review, http://www.assessor.shelby.tn.us/Informal_Review.aspx

Then if you don't get the result, you can actually go down and appear at an appeal hearing, May 1 to July 31. Key is finding comparable sales to your property and have that ready to submit. It wouldn't hurt to have listings that are currently on the market and how long they have been on the market. I know some people that have gone through this process. I will check with them and see what the best things to do are and let everyone know.

Guest canynracer
Mine is a reassessment, but it's still almost $100k below market value, eve in this depressed market.

So is mine. but if you look at comps in my neighborhood, this reassessment is WAY to high!

Guest Traumaslave

Mine went up 40% in value 1 yr after I bought it, or so they said. I went to speak with them and told them they were crazy. No one came out to appraise my property and no had sold anything near me. They brought up a satellite picture of my property and said I have x number of out buildings which each are valued at $x/sf, and my house is recorded as so many beds and so many baths with a finished basement, I have this amount of property, and it all adds up to this. Well, the out buildings are tin and lumber from the property which were build 50 yrs ago, the barn is over 60 yrs old, and the basement is not finished. They ricky tickied the numbers around a little and "fixed it" for me, only a 35% increase in value. I aked them if they would buy it at +25%.:)

Mine went up 71k!!!

think they will buy it??

not quite sure how to fight this, (cant afford a lawyer) but I am gonna start by mailing said letter back with a big "bull****" accross the front of it.

WOW!!! Mine only went up $18K. I feel much better now!

Guest Rick O'Shay

They were talking about this on the radio this morning. Apparently all of the areas NOT likely to vote Democrat went up while the others either remained the same or decreased. The one I recall off the top of my head was Whitehaven/Hickory Hood - no increase.

I think I remember Lakeland as going up 6%.

Edited by Rick O'Shay
They were talking about this on the radio this morning. Apparently all of the areas NOT likely to vote Democrat went up while the others either remained the same or decreased. The one I recall off the top of my head was Whitehaven - no increase.

I think I remember Lakeland as going up 6%.

hrmm, chicken or egg?

Guest db99wj

Found some information for you guys that are wanting or thinking about the appeal.

shelbytaxappeal.com.

http://assessor.shelby.tn.us/content.aspx

http://www.shelbycountytrustee.com/

I am not a part of this site, nor have I used this site. It is a service provided by Chandler Reports. They are a leading private provider of information in the Shelby County area. Use and purchase what you want. I am not endorsing any particular product. You can see an example if you hit the button to the right of the report, decide for yourself. Ok, enough CMA, ;)

• 1 month later...
Usually the reappraisal process runs on 4 year cycles. The data used to value your properties could be at least a year old.

And the tax "appraisal" is based on that 4 year period. Even with the last 12 months of stagnant or modest declines, there's bound to be some increase. And no, I'm not employed in any assessor's office. :lol:

They were talking about this on the radio this morning. Apparently all of the areas NOT likely to vote Democrat went up while the others either remained the same or decreased. The one I recall off the top of my head was Whitehaven/Hickory Hood - no increase.

This is how they take care of their constituents? :lol:

Guest AmericanWorkMule

That sounds very cool!

What process did you use to get the "re-appraisal" ?

My luck never seems to work out that way.

Thanks,

got my "re-appraisal" appraisal back. Original one went Up about 6k, now we are about 8K lower than the original.

WooHoo Now I will pay fewer taxes than before! YEAH!

That sounds very cool!

What process did you use to get the "re-appraisal" ?

My luck never seems to work out that way.

Thanks,

Just did their informal review and gave them some current home sale data from my neighborhood with similar comps. I really wasn't expecting a drop at all, but rather a response of "looks good to us, now pay your taxes".

I think 4/30/09 was the deadline to submit a request for an informal review. From there you could appeal again, if you wanted to.