Do we really know who we are talking to?

Guest KWW67

Guest KWW67

There was an incident, (we will call it a suspicion of circumstances and events episode), the other day on this site that really made me begin to wonder, do we really know who we are talking to? It made me think is someone jacking with us and laughing thinking "they don't get it. What a bunch of redneck idiots". Or write outrageous postings just to see what the reactions are? I am NOT saying this HAS happened. Just saying it COULD happen.. Let me explain my thinking.... Let's face it, we face a lot of opposition from people who do not share our views on gun possession and gun control. While we should not be overly suspicious or paranoid, we do have to be aware and conscious to wolves in the flock attempting to use our off the cuff comments for their own wicked agenda and be used against us at some opportune time. There were some not pleased that the "circumstances" were called into question and I agree that we should certainly be careful about how things like that are approached, but my point is if something does not seem right on here and we get a gut feeling something does not add up, then it is our duty to politely and covertly probe the incident in question. I am of course talking of extreme cases, not that everyone need to be suspicious all the time. Because we never know when the person making unusual or confusing comments may be a serpent lurking from beneath the deep. Especially those who joined very recently. Usually when someone joins, they ease into population. If one comes out of the hole at 160 mph, may should be attentive. We know most of our lingo and it may be obvious something does not seem right, but just one who flies under the radar could be damning. Do we have anything to hide? No. But the radical gun control libs think we do.. Not saying everyone should be anal, just aware............. And that's my thought for today..... Good day and have a better tomorrow.........:popcorn:

Edited by KWW67
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KWW67

Very well stated! I guess I also want to say thank you. I took some heat for something recently related to your topic, but you posted what I was thinking and feeling at the time.

I'm a member of three sites that deal specifically with firearms (4 if you count Arfcom but I rarely go there anymore) I browse through many others and I want continued access to all of them, It's great to participate in sharing and discussion with you guys and all the information we see here. That and the darn good comedy they generate. There are plenty of trolls out there and we should remain aware of everything we post.

That's the thing with the internet. Some forums may feel like you're sitting around with some cold ones shooting the breeze with your buddies, but you don't realize all of you are sitting on a really well lit stage in front of a packed house.

There are lots of folks (probably more than we think) that don't post, or haven't even registered, that read here, and other gun forums. Some are just curious gun owners, others are looking for anything they could possibly use to further their own agenda. While they may not be the majority, they are out there...definitely something to remember.

• Administrator

This is why the Staff and I are committed to keeping misinformation, repetitious duplicated posts on the same topics, so-called "tinfoil hat" and secessionist posts off of TGO. None of those things help the credibility of any forum and there have been plenty of good forums ruined when they became the norm.

John Harris over at the TFA said in a meeting once that he doesn't want TFA members picketing outside of government buildings wearing camo and other unusual garb, but rather wearing clothes that the rest of the world see as being normal. Jeans, a nice shirt, business casual even.

The reason? Perception is reality to some folks. That's why we try our hardest to get rid of the extremist threads and keep our wheels between the yellow lines.

Guest jdavis

if we have nothing to hide from anyone then why are we even worried about who is reading our posts? in my oppinion, all of the gun control nuts need to read our honest posts with nothing held back from them, if they would actually get a life and get over theirselves and understand the truth of the matter then they would stop the insane attempts to further these stupid gun control laws, if they take the ability to protect ourselves away from the honest law abiding people then they may be hurting themselves as well, if we do not have the ability to protect ourselves and others then we cant, WHAT IF THEY SOMEHOW END UP BEING "THE OTHERS"? i feel that i would come closer to taking another persons life to protect someone else easier and with less guilt than if i were protecting myself. maybe we should use their ignorances and agenda against them and let them read that.:popcorn:

Guest nraforlife
Careful there pilgrim - I program the black helicopters.

- OS

AND I'm a pilot. Helped moved Area 51 and the dead aliens to DC area.

Guest bkelm18
if we have nothing to hide from anyone then why are we even worried about who is reading our posts? in my oppinion, all of the gun control nuts need to read our honest posts with nothing held back from them, if they would actually get a life and get over theirselves and understand the truth of the matter then they would stop the insane attempts to further these stupid gun control laws, if they take the ability to protect ourselves away from the honest law abiding people then they may be hurting themselves as well, if we do not have the ability to protect ourselves and others then we cant, WHAT IF THEY SOMEHOW END UP BEING "THE OTHERS"? i feel that i would come closer to taking another persons life to protect someone else easier and with less guilt than if i were protecting myself. maybe we should use their ignorances and agenda against them and let them read that.;)

Like TGO Dave said, appearance is everything. All it takes is a changing of popular opinion and we got a real big problem on our hands.

"Do we really know who we are talking to?"

Yes,for the most part! Ive meet several folks on this board.Ive sold,and bought things from others.

I dont think anyone on here is to be worried about!

Do we really know who is listening?

Yes,I do.

Am I worried about them?

Well,no not really.I'm not conducting any illegal activity,or discussing any illegal activity on this board,or in any other area of the public.Not Starbucks,not WalMart,not the internet.

Guest KWW67
Been on the net long KW? BTW if you show up for a local get together you can meet several of these people

The net yep, on here no. And I would like to attend some of the functions when they come up. Someone needs to show me where the listing is. I will see if I can find it on here somewhere. And that is all well and good that we can meet and greet each other, but there are many who looks and comments sparingly. The ones no one knows they are there. I will be going to the gun show this week end and will be looking for tnmitch. Apparently my post has been taken out of context by some and it was just a thought I had. I do trust most in here that are on day after day. One day I will learn to keep my thoughts to myself.:)