How many Masons?

Guest KWW67

Guest KWW67
Can you go up to a lodge and ask? Or do you have to wait to meet one? Last but not least what is a G-ring?

I live in your county R1100R. PM me and we will get together. I will point you in the right direction.

I missed all this controversy. Just got back on this morning and have to say I am a little stunned at the rudeness. I have noticed that happening on a couple other threads lately and it is just uncalled for. I like to joke around more than anyone but people don't have to insult. Thanks David for keeping this site on a professional and entertaining level. At any rate, good to see you brothers and I will add you to my contacts list. Be sure to PM me R11 if interested.

Edited by KWW67
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The anti Masonic biases are nothing new. The accusations of demonic rites and such are nothing new. Any society which has powerful people in it and which selects members only by personal invitation opens itself to such. The very first third party in the US was the Anti-Masonic Party.

Catholics have at times had issues with Masons, primarily beacuse there was a prohibition at one time on Catholics being members, which prompted Rome to say Catholics couldn't join them either. Both have since been dropped. That said usually it is certain groups of fundamentalists and evangelicals who have had probs with Masons.

The most anti-Masonic words come from the conspiracy crowd, the black helicopter crowd as I call them. They see conspiracies in all corners of the universe, consider the book None Dare Call it Conspiracy as just below the bible. Some of younger folks may not know a lot about those guys as many of them keep to themselves since the Oklahoma City Bombing, when they were certain the government would move forward on all of their plans which had been in the works for 50 years. They see certain banks as well as organizations like the Masons and all "secret societies" in the US as being the masterminds of the plots.

Thomas Jefferson actually predicted such would happen. He cautioned and chided his fellow founding brothers not to join any organizations which met behind closed doors, like the Masons and the Order of Cincinnatus, while serving the public. It's just an FYI.

I have gotten off subject, sorry, but I thought some would like to be enlightened to some of this history if they had not been exposed to it before and why some make these claims.

FWIW I am not a Mason, nor have I ever been, though my father is. And while I am not one, I do wonder about their future and that of groups like them. I have been to meetings of different like clubs and associations. The one thing I have noticed about them is that my father, who is 66, is often a young'n in the room. For whatever reason they do not seem to have been successful at replacing the departed like they once were. As I am not one, I would really be ignorant in hazardng a guess as to why that is.

Edited by Warbird

You know.. I always just thought the masons just sat around in a lodge drinkin beer and having a good time... which I could totally get in on if true :mad:.

Whatever you do, don't ask my brother about em.. his :stick: is awfully tight.

That said, if being a Mason is your thing, thats awsome. If being a Catholic is your thing, thats awsome. Petty bickering about BS that you were brainwashed with from birth, isnt awsome.

That's all I have to say :D.

Guest db99wj

Wow.

I'm Catholic by the way, converted in 2000. I must of missed that class on when this topic was brought up, and were told to bash the hell out of them when you talk about it with others.

Due to this thread, I have done a little research, read a few things and have come to the conclusion that it is not for me, due to my Catholic beliefs.

With that said, do I condemn anyone that is a Mason? Do I condemn anyone that wants to be a Mason? Do I support someone that berates other peoples beliefs that are different than their own? The answer is simple, yet clear. NO. Tolerance is key and it was not used in earlier posts by a couple of people. The comments appear to be completely uncalled for, crossed the line and I don't believe to be a fair representation of my faith. There are apparantly other Catholics out there that have a different outlook, but the ones I know of are more tolerant of people with differeing views and beliefs.

I have an uncle that is a Mason, there is Memphismason on here, I would go shoot, would go have a beer with, etc with Memphismason anytime. (I have never met Memphismason in real life, just over the internet, but if he PM'd me and said lets go to lunch, I would)

I like beer too.

Anyway, again, wow.

Wow I missed all the fun too. I actually had to do some work today and wasn't able to check the forum a lot. Dang.

I am:

JW at Berclair Lodge #771

Member in the York Rite Bodies at 4th and Court, downtown Memphis

Penn Chapter #22

Eureka Council #6

St. Elmo Commandery #4

and just recently (March 13-14) joined the Scottish Rite

Memphis Valley A.A.S.R.

I have received my Yellow Dog Degree

I am also a Member of the Tennessee Lodge of Research

and I will be joing the Scottish Rite Research Society here in the next week or two.

db99wj, we really ought to get together one day. I really appreciate what you said, even though we have never meet (in real life). Any questions that you or anyone might have regarding Masonry, I will be more than happy to answer. I am by no means a scholar on Masonry, but I am working towards that. I enjoy history. Pm me sometime, and we can exchange phone numbers, and plan a trip to the range or maybe a bite to eat, whatever....heck i will just pm you.

Anyone that has any questions, feel free to ask, and I will to the best of my ability attempt to answer them. Remember that Freemasonry, like any other Fraternity, has certain elements that do not get disscussed with non members. The company I worked for would not like me talking about what goes on in our weekly meetings with anyone who is not in the company (some things I can't even mention to the guys in the shop), and we have never been accussed of devil worship, at least not to the degree that Masonry has.

One thing I can clear up, and for anyone who cares to believe me. In Masonry, no brother is instructed or lead to worship anything. The word worshipful is used in the title of the man in charge (president) of the Lodge for that year. It is an Old English Term (which Freemasonry opened it membership records to the public and formed the "Lodge" as we know it today in the year 1717. Since then the words used have not been altered a great deal if any) Here is the definition of worshipful from the Merriam - Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: wor·ship·ful Pronunciation: ˈwər-shəp-fəl Function: adjective Date: 14th century 1 aarchaic : notable , distinguished bchiefly British —used as a title for various persons or groups of rank or distinction

Edited by memphismason
Guest db99wj
Wow I missed all the fun too. I actually had to do some work today and wasn't able to check the forum a lot. Dang.

I am:

JW at Berclair Lodge #771

Member in the York Rite Bodies at 4th and Court, downtown Memphis

Penn Chapter #22

Eureka Council #6

St. Elmo Commandery #4

and just recently (March 13-14) joined the Scottish Rite

Memphis Valley A.A.S.R.

I have received my Yellow Dog Degree

I am also a Member of the Tennessee Lodge of Research

and I will be joing the Scottish Rite Research Society here in the next week or two.

db99wj, we really ought to get together one day. I really appreciate what you said, even though we have never meet (in real life). Any questions that you or anyone might have regarding Masonry, I will be more than happy to answer. I am by no means a scholar on Masonry, but I am working towards that. I enjoy history.

I'm still an infant in my Catholic faith but I'm learning.

Maybe after scouts and basketball are over (den leader and coach) I will have time to shoot the lint out of my XD! Punisher was bitch'n at me the other day that I don't go and see him anymore!

I'm still an infant in my Catholic faith but I'm learning.

Maybe after scouts and basketball are over (den leader and coach) I will have time to shoot the lint out of my XD! Punisher was bitch'n at me the other day that I don't go and see him anymore!

Everytime I am up there Punisher isn't working that night. Makes me wonder. :D

I work downtown and usually take anywhere between 1 to 1 1/2 hour lunch, so if you are in this area, mabe lunch is an option.

Dang, I think we might ought to stop.....this is starting to sound like a "man date" :stick::mad:

LOL

Nat.Geoghraphic had an article on last night about Masons, it was very informative!

I love watching shows like that, but I never know when they are coming on. I have Direct TV and a DVR, what is the best way to search for shows that are coming on that deal with a certain topic? Maybe search the upcoming shows for the word Freemason?

Guest db99wj
Everytime I am up there Punisher isn't working that night. Makes me wonder. :D

I work downtown and usually take anywhere between 1 to 1 1/2 hour lunch, so if you are in this area, mabe lunch is an option.

Dang, I think we might ought to stop.....this is starting to sound like a "man date" :stick::mad:

LOL

ROFLMAO! I should be in the downtown area either this week or next, if not both. Once my schedule clears up, I'll let you know.

Guest siegfried
I love watching shows like that, but I never know when they are coming on. I have Direct TV and a DVR, what is the best way to search for shows that are coming on that deal with a certain topic? Maybe search the upcoming shows for the word Freemason?

A search would be the best way! This show was a 1 hr. show from 06 and covered the history of Masons from the beginning up to current days, it was an un-biased view and explained a lot of misconceptions about Masons, but seemed to raise more questions than anything.

Also covered the Masons and the Catholic Church through the ages as well as showing some Masonic practices and rituals never before seen, also did say that in the US it mainly was more of a Mens-Club than it is overseas.

The show made myself and Girlfriend wonder as to how many members really knew what it is all about. We also could see as to how anybody who is Catholic is against Masons, since the Cath. Church considers joining a Masonic Temple instant ex-communication, which if one is Cath. means you will burn in hell for all eternity, which is worse then death and thus the worst thing which can happen to a Cath. But i believe to each their own and if it doesnt interfere with my religion, then i wont interere with somebody elses!:stick:

Seems lack of knowledge and understanding of other Cultures and beliefs is what causes more problems world-wide than anything else!

Guest clownsdd

A Lutheran friend of mine (who by the way, was a very big supporter of the church with $$$ and work) once had the Pastor of the Church explain to him that he was going to have to choose between the Masons and the Lutheran Church.

His reply was that the Pastor did not want him to make that decision.

No more was said.

Guest siegfried

Like the old saying "Politics and Religion", should never be a topic of discussion in a Bar or many other places, due to someone getting offended, but it is interesting to see both views in order to understand each side!

Guest eyebedam

Imi n the Nashville/ Mt. Juliet area & would love to be able to get involved with the Masons. I just dont know where to start. My grandfather was a Shriner & was involved with alot of various organizations but hes no longer alive so I cant really ask him.

The show made myself and Girlfriend wonder as to how many members really knew what it is all about.

Masonry means different things to each brother. "Knowing what it is all about", I am curious as to what you think it is all about. I am not wanting to argue, I like to hear what people outside of the fraternity think, and how they came to their conclusions.

I know that will result in hi jacking this thread. Feel free to email me: jkmaness2002@yahoo.com If you would like.

Seems lack of knowledge and understanding of other Cultures and beliefs is what causes more problems world-wide than anything else!

I agree 100%, and couldn't have said it better myself. :stick:

Guest siegfried
Imi n the Nashville/ Mt. Juliet area & would love to be able to get involved with the Masons. I just dont know where to start. My grandfather was a Shriner & was involved with alot of various organizations but hes no longer alive so I cant really ask him.

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/Masonry/how-to.html

Here you go and no i am not a mason, just read as much info. as you can so you know as to what any organization is all about, the good as well as the bad!

Just so nobody feels left out, if one is Cath. they can join "The Knights of Columbus"!

http://www.kofc.org/un/eb/en/about/join/howtojoin.html

Both of these groups, as well as others do a lot of good! Best wishes:).

PS. I am not a member of any type of Organization.

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/Masonry/how-to.html

Here you go and no i am not a mason, just read as much info. as you can so you know as to what any organization is all about, the good as well as the bad!

Just so nobody feels left out, if one is Cath. they can join "The Knights of Columbus"!

http://www.kofc.org/un/eb/en/about/join/howtojoin.html

Both of these groups, as well as others do a lot of good! Best wishes:).

PS. I am not a member of any type of Organization.

That first site is a little out dated. The Grand Lodge of Tennessee dropped the age limit from 21 to 18 a few years ago.

The DeMolay Boys (Masonic boys organization) ends once the young man turns 18. So I believe that the Grand Lodge took this into consideration when they lowered the age limit, from 21 to 18.

Guest siegfried

Not to hi jack, but a few months ago also saw a Nat. Geo. special about Snake Handling in church services and that raised a question, which i really cant answer, since it is out-lawed in all states but one.

It just really made me wonder? It really also showed both sides and made me wonder simply at what point the govt. should make some religious pracitices illegal?:shrug:

Not to hi jack, but a few months ago also saw a Nat. Geo. special about Snake Handling in church services and that raised a question, which i really cant answer, since it is out-lawed in all states but one.

It just really made me wonder? It really also showed both sides and made me wonder simply at what point the govt. should make some religious pracitices illegal?:shrug:

huh?

cloning-results-may-vary-12810-1232563426-1.jpg

Guest siegfried

The snake-handling during church services, which is now outlawed in but 1 state, simply made me wonder as to whether or not the govt. had the right to make this, much practiced in the past,religious practice illegal?

The snake-handling during church services, which is now outlawed in but 1 state, simply made me wonder as to whether or not the govt. had the right to make this, much practiced in the past,religious practice illegal?

Yeah I got that, but that is just not anywhere close to the topic at hand. Just curious.