How many Masons?

Guest KWW67

Did you just tell him to go start a snake handling thread?:rolleyes:

LOL. Naw. If I did, I didn't mean too.

Just wondering. We don't don't mess around with snakes, and we are not a religion, so I was just curious as to why that was brought up.

Maybe it was because a show on Natl. Geo. was mention and this "snake handling" show was also viewed on that channel.

Snake handling is not for me....that is one reason I bought a judge. :shrug:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest siegfried

Sorry, i was simply trying to show different opinions and beliefs between people, govt. etc.. and as to when the govt. has the right to make a practice illegal, in the overall picture!

I did enjoy the gun-show at the Shriners a few weeks ago and were back on topic!:shrug:

The snake-handling during church services, which is now outlawed in but 1 state, simply made me wonder as to whether or not the govt. had the right to make this, much practiced in the past,religious practice illegal?

When it comes to things like this, I'm a bit of a Darwinist. I don't think the gov't should place rules and regulations on your choices to endanger yourself. Whether that be seat belts, ciggarettes, drugs, base jumping, whatever...

Sorry, i was simply trying to show different opinions and beliefs between people, govt. etc.. and as to when the govt. has the right to make a practice illegal, in the overall picture!

I did enjoy the gun-show at the Shriners a few weeks ago and were back on topic!:shrug:

LOL.

"and as to when the govt. has the right to make a practice illegal, in the overall picture!"

In regards to Masonry, the government has no need to interfer.....the majority are members)...just kidding.

That is why the Grand Lodge of England was formed in 1717. England made it a crime to be a member of a "Secret Society", so the Freemasons came together and opened their membership roles, and open the Grand Lodge of England, and it became the mother to the current system of Lodges around the World.

However, the government stepping in now?.....is this what you are hinting toward?

Guest siegfried

Yes, in the Nat. Geo. about Masons,which was from 06, it did state that in Scotland recently (guess in 05 or 06) the govt. wanted all members of the govt. to have to disclose as to whether or not the were practicing Masons, which is really scary and makes all non-masons wonder as to why and if being a Mason is somehow evil.

However, this did not become the law! But still put a questionable light on all Masons. Made me wonder as to how i would feel if our govt. wanted me to list any organization, religious or otherwise i belong to.

But isnt our new leader already requiring all types of weird info of anybody who wants a fed. job, such as what forums are you a member off and what is youre handle as well as do you own any guns etc.................:shrug::rolleyes:

A lot of folks dont realise, once any govt. puts restrictions or whatever on 1 group, how long before the next group also gets punished?

QUOTE!

When it comes to things like this, I'm a bit of a Darwinist. I don't think the gov't should place rules and regulations on your choices to endanger yourself. Whether that be seat belts, ciggarettes, drugs, base jumping, whatever... QUOTE!

I agree with the above, hated to be told i have to wear a seat-belt, but always have since i feel safer!:rolleyes:

PS. Our own state, has a list of all peole who have a concealed carry permit for display, which i believe isnt anybodys business and could keep a potential employer from hiring a person due to this! I know this might be changed.

Edited by siegfried
Yes, in the Nat. Geo. about Masons,which was from 06, it did state that in Scotland recently (guess in 05 or 06) the govt. wanted all members of the govt. to have to disclose as to whether or not the were practicing Masons, which is really scary and makes all non-masons wonder as to why and if being a Mason is somehow evil.

However, this did not become the law! But still put a questionable light on all Masons. Made me wonder as to how i would feel if our govt. wanted me to list any organization, religious or otherwise i belong to.

But isnt our new leader already requiring all types of weird info of anybody who wants a fed. job, such as what forums are you a member off and what is youre handle as well as do you own any guns etc.................:shrug::rolleyes:

A lot of folks dont realise, once any govt. puts restrictions or whatever on 1 group, how long before the next group also gets punished?

QUOTE!

When it comes to things like this, I'm a bit of a Darwinist. I don't think the gov't should place rules and regulations on your choices to endanger yourself. Whether that be seat belts, ciggarettes, drugs, base jumping, whatever... QUOTE!

I agree with the above, hated to be told i have to wear a seat-belt, but always have since i feel safer!:rolleyes:

I remember when Scotland was looking into that, and your right, it does cause an undesired light to be shown on the Fraternity. It is just as much the gov. business as to what organizations I belong to, as it is to what toilet paper I use.

One of the questions on the petition to join ask "Do you now or have you ever belonged to any organization promoting the over throw off the government?"....or something along those lines. If the answer is "yes" then the petition is a no-go.

I think I will post a sample of the petition in the double post I screwed up on earlier.

Guest B J Elliott

Never have been a religious type of guy and never will be, but I do know that the Shriners do a lot for the children, which in my books us just ok. BJ:)

Guest clownsdd

thanks BJ and from a Shriner's point of view that is what it is all about...our kids.

BTW....a Mason does not have to express a belief in a particular religion, but a belief in a Supreme Being.

Edited by clownsdd

I agree with the above, hated to be told i have to wear a seat-belt, but always have since i feel safer!:shrug:

Haha, me too... but hey, if someone doesn't want to wear one it's cool with me! Survival of the fittest, right? I mean, anyone who has ever studied population of fruit fly colonies in a Bio 101 class can tell you how dangerous over population can be!

Guest clownsdd
memphismason, you seem like a "cool cat" to be both a mason as well as a moderator!:rolleyes:

PS. Please, dont get a big head on us now!:shrug::rolleyes:

He is. Young kid and has come a long way in the brotherhood and done an outstanding job in his positions.

Edited by clownsdd
Guest siegfried

Oops, hope i didnt get in trouble with the other mods or the admintrator for bragging only on 1 moderator, and lose some brownie-points?:rolleyes::shrug:

Past Master Hartsville 113 (2008)

Scottish Rite

Yellow Dog (Woof, woof, woof)

That cover it all for now.

For some of you wondering I was 29 when I installed Master of the Lodge. My two best friends family were Masons and I have helped with the Shrine Paper sale and Circus since I was 13 or 14. They both joined when they turned 21. I waited a few more years to subdue things and was Initiated in 2003 and made a Master Mason in 2004. One of greatest memories was setting in Lodge with my best friend just weeks before he pasted away at eh age of 26.

All I can say is I have greatly enjoyed my involvement with Lodge. I due understand it is not for everyone and keep a very open mind. I have even had people blatantly condone me for being a member. I just tell them they are more than welcome to there opinion and wish them the best.

And eyebedamn I have sent you a PM.

Verne

The problem with "secret" society stuff is you get the extremes from oblivious supporters to too tight tin foil conspiracy theorist. I have heard and read a lot on the Mason's and here is what I've concluded. Although not a "religion" per se, it is similar in that I completely and whole heartedly disagree with the fundamental practices and theology. However, most Masrons, like "religious" folks subscribe for a myriad of reasons and most aren't strickt fundamentalist or even probably know the full foundational principles and practices.

Arguing the point is like trying to tack jello to the wall. It just ends in frustration and a mess.

He is. Young kid and has come a long way in the brotherhood and done an outstanding job in his positions.

Thanks for the kind words, Clownsdd. I appreciate it.

Oops, hope i didnt get in trouble with the other mods or the admintrator for bragging only on 1 moderator, and lose some brownie-points?;):P

I have not been a mod. long enough for that to matter, plus I only mod the hunting forum. LOL :tough:

The problem with "secret" society stuff is you get the extremes from oblivious supporters to too tight tin foil conspiracy theorist. I have heard and read a lot on the Mason's and here is what I've concluded. Although not a "religion" per se, it is similar in that I completely and whole heartedly disagree with the fundamental practices and theology. However, most Masrons, like "religious" folks subscribe for a myriad of reasons and most aren't strickt fundamentalist or even probably know the full foundational principles and practices.

Arguing the point is like trying to tack jello to the wall. It just ends in frustration and a mess.

I am glad you placed the quotation marks around the word secret, because if Freemasonry were a "Secret Society", I doubt we would be having this conversation.

As far as being a religion Albert Pike wrote in Morals and Dogma...

"Masonry is not a religion. Hew who makes of it a religious belief, falsifies and denaturalizes it. The Brahmin, the Jew, the Mahometan, The Catholic, the Protestant, each professing his peculiar religion, sanctioned by the laws, by time, and by climate, must needs retain it, and cannot have two religions; for the social and sacred laws adapted to the usages, manners, and prejudices of particular countries, are the work of men (page 161)

"But Masonry teaches, and has preserved in their purity, the cardinal tenets of the old primitive faith, which underlie and are the foundation of all religions. ... Masonry is the universal morality which is suitable to the inhabitanta of every clime, to the man of every creed. It has taught no doctrines, except those truths that tend directly to the well-being of man."

Altough Pike is not the "end-all, be-all" in Masonic teaching, I do take his side on this particular subject.

Guest eyebedam
Past Master Hartsville 113 (2008)

Scottish Rite

Yellow Dog (Woof, woof, woof)

That cover it all for now.

For some of you wondering I was 29 when I installed Master of the Lodge. My two best friends family were Masons and I have helped with the Shrine Paper sale and Circus since I was 13 or 14. They both joined when they turned 21. I waited a few more years to subdue things and was Initiated in 2003 and made a Master Mason in 2004. One of greatest memories was setting in Lodge with my best friend just weeks before he pasted away at eh age of 26.

All I can say is I have greatly enjoyed my involvement with Lodge. I due understand it is not for everyone and keep a very open mind. I have even had people blatantly condone me for being a member. I just tell them they are more than welcome to there opinion and wish them the best.

And eyebedamn I have sent you a PM.

Verne

I havent got a pm yet but will check back later.

"But Masonry teaches, and has preserved in their purity, the cardinal tenets of the old primitive faith, which underlie and are the foundation of all religions.

Not trying to pick a fight, but on the surface, this sounds more like belief in a supreme religion than belief in a supreme being.

Not trying to pick a fight, but on the surface, this sounds more like belief in a supreme religion than belief in a supreme being.

I know that you are not trying to pick a fight, but what is happening is that a quote from Pike is taken out of context.

The above quote is not dealing with the Supreme Being, but instead is dealing with the thought idea that what Masonry teaches is found in the foundations of every religion.

Brotherly Love, Relief, Truth, practicing the virtues of Fortitude, Prudence, Temperance, and Justice, is found in most religions.

Lets look at Genesis 37:31 "And they took Joseph's coat, and killed a kid of the goats, and dipped the coat in the blood;"

Taken out of context this scripture could say "And they took Joseph's coat, and killed a kid, and dipped the coat in the blood;"

Not saying that is what you did, for you didn't remove any of the words, but what you are doing is applying a quote to something it is not intend to represent. In that instance "on the surface" we can make anything say whatever we want.

Lets look at a symbol known to all Masons. The Square, now on the surface a square is used to create true 90 degree angles, but to Freemasons we are reminded to square our conduct by the principles of morality and virtue.

Things on the surface are not what they always appear, especially when the "surface" is made to represent something other than what the was intended.

Let me reiterate that most religions promote Brother Love, Relief and Truth, and the practice of Fortitude, Prudence, Temperance, and Justice. Masons know this because it is taught in the first degree, so when we read the quote,

"But Masonry teaches, and has preserved in their purity, the cardinal tenets of the old primitive faith, which underlie and are the foundation of all religions."

We know it is referring to the moral lessons taught in the first degree.

However, to a person who does not know what Masonry teaches the quote could be twisted to say that Masonry is the supreme religion, which is one of the reasons Masonry gets a bad light shown upon it.