How many Masons?

Guest KWW67

As a minister of the Christian faith, I can assure you that is the definition. I promise that I didn't make it up.

Plus Webster said so.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion

religion

2 entries found.

religion

1get (verb)

Main Entry:

re·li·gion

Pronunciation:

\ri-ˈli-jən\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back — more at rely

Date:

13th century

1 a: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

— re·li·gion·less adjective

So it's 'a' definition of religion, not 'the' definition, and not a very good one at that. It fit's Christianity, but there are religions that don't fall under that.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a minister of the Christian faith, I can assure you that is the definition. I promise that I didn't make it up.

Plus Webster said so.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion

religion

2 entries found.

religion

1get (verb)

Main Entry:

re·li·gion

Pronunciation:

\ri-ˈli-jən\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back — more at rely

Date:

13th century

1 a: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

— re·li·gion·less adjective

Those are based on Catholic tradition of the use of the term "religion". However, the Bible (which predates Mr. Webster by a few years;)) says true religion is taking care of widows and orphans.....Period!:bored:

Those are based on Catholic tradition of the use of the term "religion". However, the Bible (which predates Mr. Webster by a few years;)) says true religion is taking care of widows and orphans.....Period!;)

+1

James 1:27

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

So it's 'a' definition of religion, not 'the' definition, and not a very good one at that. It fit's Christianity, but there are religions that don't fall under that.

WOW

We have now started arguing with the dictionary....I am gracefully bowing out.

PM me if yall think I can add anything else, or make a bigger mess. ;)

Edited by memphismason
So Social Security is a religion?

I don't think I implied anything like that. And yeah, I'll argue with the dictionary all day, their definition sums it up in what was that 8 or 9 words? We've spent days talking about the definition and never settled on one definition that fits all religions.

I was more "pokeing" at Nsnate02 with his definition of religion. Trying to bring back some levity to this downward spiral.

It just fit my whacked sense of humor when he said "taking care of widows and orphans, period" and I immediately saw the annointed one and his SSN angels.

Guest siegfried
Let's see, top of my head, Christianity, after beginning with an abracadabra of instant universe creation, has a talking snake, a man parting a sea, a woman turning to pillar of salt, city walls

falling down to playing trumpets, a fellow turning water to wine, raising the dead, walking on water, and then raising himself from the dead.

None of that seems the least bit supernatural to you?

- OS

OhShoot, glad that you really know youre Bible!:tinfoil: