Number rounds through your handguns

mac12

How do you keep up with the number of rounds that you put through your handguns? I only have one 9mm, so I number each box of ammo that I buy. Presently I have boxes numbered 600 through 1200. The next time I go to the range I will carry box number 600 and 700. Is there a better way to keep up with the numbers? Do you keep a log with each gun? What info do you keep on your handguns?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep 5X8 data cards on all of my guns. I record target data as well as rounds fired. I'm a former USMC Sniper so I am a bit of a fanatic about keeping my weapons realistically Accurate (sighting, right ammo, etc.)None of my guns are "performance specials" but they are all accurate enough for their niche. If I see black when I fire I want to see a hole in it when I bring the weapon down or look through the scope! Especially at range shooting time, it pays to keep records!

I use an Excel spreadsheet. It tracks all of my pistols. I keep track of total rounds, type of round, and any malfunction. It takes very little time to update after each range session and I always know how my guns are performing.

How do you keep up with the number of rounds that you put through your handguns? I only have one 9mm, so I number each box of ammo that I buy. Presently I have boxes numbered 600 through 1200. The next time I go to the range I will carry box number 600 and 700. Is there a better way to keep up with the numbers? Do you keep a log with each gun? What info do you keep on your handguns?

I'm just wondering why you try to keep records of this?

Guest HexHead
I'm just wondering why you try to keep records of this?

My guess is to change springs at the recommended intervals. That's the only reason I can think of after the initial break in period.

I was wondering how many rounds i had put through my g23 when i traded it for my 26, and had wondered about it before then too. Also wondering what all kinds of ammo i was shooting, and just how much i was paying for it back then.... I stopped shooting sometime in the early 90's, and just started back when i got my 26 about a month ago.

It takes maybe a minute log all the stuff i'm tracking. If my computer weren't in my office/den (and always on), it might be more of a pain than it's worth.... In that case, i would have to look into an odometer like v3bahumut's :D

Edited by Ninja9

I guess it depends on how much you shoot. If you only go to the range once a year and shoot 100 rounds then I really don't see any need in it because you are never going to shoot very many rounds through your firearm.

On the other hand some of us go every week or at least once a month and shoot 200+ rounds. If you shoot often it adds up quickly and I think its just a good idea to keep up with it.

I only have one pistol that I bought new and it has 5,150 rounds through it.

When I shoot a box I rip off the part of the box that has the ammo info on it and write the date and the pistol it was used in.

Currently I just have two pistols (in different cals) that I shoot so its easy to keep up with in my head also.

I guess folks do this for different reasons and we all manage springs and do up-keep differently. For me, I can only approximate how many rounds are through my guns. But it doesn't really matter. My #1 competition gun has somewhere between 50,000-60,000 rounds through it. I shoot about 15k through it in a year so I change the springs in it about 3-4 times a year and inspect everything closely when I give it a good cleaning. Once I knew I probably broke the 50K mark I now shoot groups every now and then to see if I need to replace the barrel. So far so good.

I don't shoot my carry gun near as much so I just replace the springs in it when I change the clocks. And replace the mag springs once a year in both my carry and competition guns (this is a little overkill but springs are cheap).

Guest Grout

I quit keeping up when I got about 30K on my Para P14 and Glock 21.I'm sure they had 3 times that many when I quit competing.I don't shoot them much anymore.I have about 2K on a couple carry guns.I shoot about 50-100 rds through them every month or so.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I keep a small notepad in my range bag. Each visit to the range, I document the date, location, weapons fired, brand of ammo and ammo count per weapon. I transfer that to an excel spreadsheet every few months. For those who asked "why would you keep up with this info?" - its no different than keeping up with mileage on a car between maintenance or hours on an airplane etc... If something goes wrong, I want to know the recent history to see if I can identify something that is a problem (bad ammo, spring life etc....).

For me its just a gun nerd thing that seems to make sense. Its not that difficult to do, only takes a couple of minutes. also, at 5000 rounds I change the recoil spring so that was my initial main driver for keeping records.

Guest Micromancer

Round counts are also somewhat helpful in selling used guns. People like to know they are getting something with as little wear as possible.

For instance, I have a GSG-5PK that I bought new 6 weeks ago, and have since put 40 rounds through it. When I sell it, I will be sure and note how many rounds I put through it as a selling aid. I have already decided it is the least useful of my collection and needs to go. For the $600 I paid for this, I really should have just bought a G24 or G17L :/

Generally, I don't shoot as often as I'd like, and as such can remember how many boxes I've put through each of my guns. Well, except for my .22's - who can keep up with all that .02 brass?

.45 Llama - 250 rounds

.40 G22 - 200 rounds

.40 G27 - 50 rounds

.25 HP-25 - 70 rounds

.22 Ruger Mark I Standard - ~600

.22 Intratec Sport - ~400

.22 GSG-5PK - 40

Guns I don't have anymore

.38 SPL (RIP: traded for WASR-10) - 100 rounds

9MM Lorcin - 59 rounds of a 100 round box. Sold that terrible gun for what I paid for it, the parts kit with 3 extra mags from Numrich AND the box of ammo.

I'm at 506 just since 2.28.09 in my g-26. Not tracking my .22's since they are already really old.... I'm really holding back, best i can, due to ammo conservation and lack of funds.... it's an addiction though :D

090 - Independence 115gr FMJ

004 - Hydra-Shok 135gr JHP

025 - Remington 115gr JHP

075 - Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ

175 - Winchester 115gr FMJ WWB

030 - Blazer Aluminum 115gr FMJ (given by instructor)

100 - Winchester 115gr FMJ WWB

007 - Speer Gold Dot +P 124gr

Most people who track rounds don't shoot crazy amounts of ammo (talking 10,000+ per year) Those who do shoot a LOT don't track because it really doesn't matter much. Because they are not like cars...the physical condition is far more important to the value of a gun than "mileage" per se.

I can't even guess how many rounds have gone through some of my guns. Even though some of them have around the 100,000 mark they are still in better shape than some people's guns that have under 1,000.

It really is a matter of how you care for your guns rather than how much you shoot them.

Thanks for all of the replies. I just feel like it is something that needs keeping up with for ones own piece of mind and the resell thing. For those that go through thousands of rounds a year, I can understand not trying to keep up with that. You,re always reading on these gun forums that " I've put xxx rounds through my xxx without a hiccup." I've got another 9mm coming, so I'm gonna have to come up with another method of keeping up with the number of rounds down range.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smithandwesson

Most people keep track for one reason, if your shooting one day and start noticing an accuracy decline, but youve checked everything on your weapon and all is in order, its probably because the round count is at 80,000 and its time for a new barrel. Its not a bad idea to keep up with it, that way also you know when its gettin close to time to get a new barrel before the barrel goes bad.

Most people keep track for one reason, at 80,000 and its time for a new barrel.

Most people won’t shoot that many rounds in their life, and certainly not through one gun.

I know we will have some bounce in here to let us know they shoot that much in a month; but keep in mind that’s at least $25K in ammo.

Most of us go by … less than 500 they are like new; over 500 they are used. :P

I keep track by the thousand, as that's how many primer tubes I have for my dillon (10 tubes x 100 primers ea)... So I tend to load a thousand at a time, burn through that, and load another about 2-3 weeks later when it's gone.

My carry gun (Glock 19) only has about 6,500 through it. Approximately.

My IDPA/USPSA Production G34, has... er, somewhere around 50K through it. Anywhere between 42k and 55k would be about right.

Oh, and for haters of Glock's fragile recoil assembly (those of you who shun the gun, or install a metal rod immediately) I have worn out three 13lb ISMI recoil springs. But I'm still on the factory original guide rod.